Improve English: Tips for Slang, Grammar & Movies

• Thread starter En_lizard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Language
In summary: Russian?)In summary, en means English and it's hard to improve your listening skills if you don't watch American popular movies and tv shows. If you want to improve your language skills, you should look up slang words on www.urbandictionary.com.
En_lizard
how can i improve my en? you used so much slang in your conversations. i have trouble with grammar. and whenever i watch a en movie, i just get a few sentences of it.:redface: do your actors really talk en?:cry: what can i do?

Science news on Phys.org
When don't use much slang on here, so it's not that bad.

You can't criticize our language for using slang because the entire world uses slang.

Yeah, english is a pretty crazy language. That's why I think America should change their offical language to binary.

Jason:

try to expand your horizone. I'm not talking about here, dear. although you use lots of slang here while you even don't notice it. but my main question is how i can learn your language and get the meaning of your slangs? one has to watch american popular movies and tv shows, know a lot about your history and culture to understand a en native speaker. i know that's the same for any culture. i just want to know how i can improve my listening skills and stuff like that.

You could start by calling it English, unless what you really want to discuss is a problem using en and em dashes. If that's the case, read here:
http://www.getitwriteonline.com/archive/091502.htm
The en dash is slightly longer than the hyphen but not as long as the em dash. (It is, in fact, the width of a typesetter's letter "N," whereas the em dash is the width of the letter "M"—thus their names.) The en dash means, quite simply, "through." We use it most commonly to indicate inclusive dates and numbers: July 9–August 17; pp. 37–59.

Last edited by a moderator:
what's McDonald? as far as i know it's the name of a famous company or store. but i don't know what you mean by that?

Math Is Hard said:
You could start by calling it English, unless what you really want to discuss is a problem using en and em dashes. If that's the case, read here:
:confused:

What is en?

En mean English!

En_lizard said:
how can i improve my en? you used so much slang in your conversations. i have trouble with grammar. and whenever i watch a en movie, i just get a few sentences of it.:redface: do your actors really talk en?:cry: what can i do?

haha no they don't. Its funny, the more english you learn, the less you would be able to understand of the conversations that occur on the street in the United States (this sentence is rather questionable in of itself!).

En_lizard said:
En mean English!
So French is Fr? :tongue:

you mean you've never heard of it?:bugeye:

Here's a place you can learn quite a few English http://humanities.byu.edu/elc/student/idioms/idiomsmain.html
Examples:
I believe you and I are in the same boat
how often does that happen? once in a blue moon
that speaker was something, she brought down the house
:grumpy: what's the matter, did you get up on the wrong side of the bed?
Was out carousing again last night, well tomorrow I'm turning over a new leaf :approve:

I have not heard of English being abbreviated as "en". When you are communicating in a foreign language it's best not to invent new abbreviations and slang. People have trouble understanding you. The word en has a specific meaning to me, and it is not "English".

i though it was popular. you know it was easy to guess anyway. i said 'your awful language'. now you can understand poor people like me. i usually have to guess what others are telling me in English.

Entropy said:
Yeah, english is a pretty crazy language. That's why I think America should change their offical language to binary.
America's offical languange isn't english it's American:approve:

Last edited:
scott1 said:
Amrica's offical languange isn't english it's American:approve:

"Amrica"? LEARN YOUR DAMN AMERICAN! :rofl: :rofl:

En_lizard said:
i though it was popular. you know it was easy to guess anyway. i said 'your awful language'. now you can understand poor people like me. i usually have to guess what others are telling me in English.
Slang and colloquialisms abound in English, as an American, I sometimes have trouble understanding a person from the United Kingdom. I've never heard of English being called en.

Math Is Hard said:
I have not heard of English being abbreviated as "en". When you are communicating in a foreign language it's best not to invent new abbreviations and slang. People have trouble understanding you. The word en has a specific meaning to me, and it is not "English".
It's web-geek thing.. as part of a URL you will find
example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ (en - page in English)
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/ (fr - page in French)
http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/ (ru - page in Russian)

scott1 said:
America's offical languange isn't english it's American:approve:
That reminds me, there was a law in some state, (Illinois, I think) that said that nobody could speak english in that state, only "american".

Evo said:
But they say nothing about anything being called en or fr or ru, it's just an abbreviation in the url. :smile: Nice try though.
You have golden mouse ears?? :smile:
I must have missed something. Must be a reason why folks are teasing En_Lizard

Last edited:
Ouabache said:
You have golden mouse ears?? :smile:
A much cherished gift from ZapperZ. :!)

I must have missed something. Must be a reason why folks are teasing En_Lizard
Not teasing, just informing. It's worse to let someone go on thinking something wrong than to correct them. :smile:

Evo said:
But they say nothing about anything being called en or fr or ru, it's just an abbreviation in the url. :smile: Nice try though.
when did i say fr or ru?

I was thinking we ought to post a glossary of forum abbreviations somewhere.. I'm not very good at figuring those out. I wind up having to look them up.. LOL, IMHO, BTW, OP. I'm always finding new ones I hadn't seen before.
Forum abbreviations continue to evolve (just like real languages). En_Lizard may be leading the way on this one :smile:

By the way, En_Lizard, have you taken a look at the idiom's reference I gave? What d'ya think?

With the haverin' a right score o' these bozos spew, El, ye've done gone and opened a whole new can o' worms for yerself.

And whatever you do, don't take spelling lessons from Hypatia. :uhh:

Okay, now that we've cleared up what "en" means, the best way to learn what an idiomatic phrase or slang word means is simply to ask the person who used it.

Math Is Hard said:
Grrr...I actually read that:grumpy:

where's that groan smiley when you need it?

En_lizard - I know how you feel. I've been trying to learn French for the past, let's say 6 years and I still can barely make out what my teacher says. Sometimes I feel like I'm becoming fluent, but then I watch a French movie and I can't understand a word of it. Just keep practicing.

move to an english speaking country or city and then everytime you here slang that you don't understand ask what it means...

its like westerners moving over to asia and learning to speak the asian languages to a tee...i've never met a westerner who spoke perfect chinese(accent, tonation) till I was about 18-20, who told my family that he lived in taiwan for two+ years with his girlfriend and that's where he picked it up..

Some people find it funny the way asian people speak english but i find it funnier when a westerner tries to speak chinese...and since meeting that person I've had a new respect for those westerners willing to learn the language.

yomamma said:
Grrr...I actually read that:grumpy:

I know. Somehow I knew you would. :biggrin: :rofl:

"en" is a standard computer term for english for people using multilingual settings.

For me it's how you pronounce this letter: N

Math Is Hard said:

i thought that was kind of interesting. I always used a hyphen instead of the em dash, but after reading that, i won't make that mistake again.

anyrate, when i was learning spanish, my favorite thing to do was to listen to spanish music. lyrics are probably the hardest thing to understand, even when you know the language. so i'd have my spanish friends write the lyrics down in spanish and english, and i'd sing along, and it helped my verbal and listening skills a lot.

Gale said:
i thought that was kind of interesting. I always used a hyphen instead of the em dash, but after reading that, i won't make that mistake again.
anyrate, when i was learning spanish, my favorite thing to do was to listen to spanish music. lyrics are probably the hardest thing to understand, even when you know the language. so i'd have my spanish friends write the lyrics down in spanish and english, and i'd sing along, and it helped my verbal and listening skills a lot.
yeah, but how many times do you use "la bamba" in conversation?