Improve English: Tips for Slang, Grammar & Movies

• Thread starter En_lizard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Language
In summary: Russian?)In summary, en means English and it's hard to improve your listening skills if you don't watch American popular movies and tv shows. If you want to improve your language skills, you should look up slang words on www.urbandictionary.com.
tribdog said:
yeah, but how many times do you use "la bamba" in conversation?

para bailar la bamba se necessita uno poca de gracia.

the insight I've gained from that sentence is so great, how could i not use it in every substantial convo? why, didn't we mention the la bamba the other day when i called? yeah our convo was like "whats up" "just contemplating whether I'm graceful enough to dance the bamba and the philosophical consequences it would have on my life, you?" "nothin"

Science news on Phys.org
really I thought our conversation was more like:
you: "I'm tired of driving and I'll crash if someone doesn't talk to me, you aren't busy are you?"
me: "well, actually I was just about to...'
you: "good. here I am drving past a big catapult. they shoot pumpkins out of it. isn't that neat"
me "yeah, neat. Listen I've really got to.."
you: "I'm driving a truck, my car has bad shocks (ramble ramble)
45 minutes later
you "okay I'm pulling into my driveway now. Thanks for talking to me and keeping me awake."
me: "my pleasure. I had nothing better to do anyway."

Entropy said:
Yeah, english is a pretty crazy language. That's why I think America should change their offical language to binary.

lol

English is a pretty crazy language, we should change it to a mixture of russian and chinese, you know, to make it easier :rofl: :rofl:

Hehe, English is one of the easiest languages ever O.O I remember when I moved to the U.S. when I was in third grade, I learned how to speak fluently within a month

lol, it must have taken a bit longer to learn how to count. there is no way you became fluent in a month.

thats like me saying i learned chinese by being born without ever living in the eastern world.

I shouldn't say you are lying. I suppose you could become fluent a month after moving to the U.S.. If you moved here from Australia

i became fluent in pig latin in like two weeks- tops. jibberish took even less time. I'm way super good with languages.

emay ootay, alegay.

tribdog said:
lol, it must have taken a bit longer to learn how to count. there is no way you became fluent in a month.

Have you ever tried to learn a language when you were young? It was extremely easy back then. My first language was Polish, and then I learned French because I lived in Montreal. After that I moved to Arizona and was placed into a normal classroom without speaking a word. Within a month i was talking to everyone. No lies here. Maybe it's because I was used to learning new languages, hell I don't know. I also did very well in my German class last year, maybe I just pwn at languages. that ORRRR I guarantee that if you were to move to some country, like France or something, and you were forced to be around french people all the time and forced to try to communicate with them, that you would do just fine within a month.

Ouabache said:
Here's a place you can learn quite a few English http://humanities.byu.edu/elc/student/idioms/idiomsmain.html [Broken]
Examples:
I believe you and I are in the same boat
how often does that happen? once in a blue moon
that speaker was something, she brought down the house
:grumpy: what's the matter, did you get up on the wrong side of the bed?
Was out carousing again last night, well tomorrow I'm turning over a new leaf :approve:
Those are easy.

I believe you and I are in the same boat means "are your pants wet, too?" - i.e. things aren't going very good for us, are they?

how often does that happen? once in a blue moon means it happens about once every three years. Well, except for the three or four times a century when you get two blue moons in one year. Uh :uhh: it means it doesn't happen very often.

that speaker was something, she brought down the house is a twist on the old idiom "those who live in glass houses shouldn't sing opera".

:grumpy: what's the matter, did you get up on the wrong side of the bed? A subtle way of telling your friend that their face looks like it did a rapid transit from pillow to wall (i.e. - their face is red and lumpy with odd patterns embedded in their skin)

Was out carousing again last night, well tomorrow I'm turning over a new leaf :approve: means your hangover is so bad that you're going to put off raking the leaves. It's a lame excuse used by habitual procrastinators who tend to develop alcohol dependency problems in the fall, especially during football season.

Last edited by a moderator:
<h2>1. What are some tips for improving my slang in English?</h2><p>One tip for improving your slang in English is to pay attention to how native speakers use slang in different situations. Watch TV shows and movies, listen to music, and read books or articles written by native English speakers. You can also practice using slang with native speakers or language exchange partners.</p><h2>2. How can I improve my grammar in English?</h2><p>To improve your grammar in English, it's important to understand the rules and patterns of the language. You can do this by studying grammar books, taking an English class, or working with a tutor. It's also helpful to practice using the grammar rules in your speaking and writing.</p><h2>3. Can watching movies really help me improve my English?</h2><p>Yes, watching movies can be a fun and effective way to improve your English. It can help you learn new vocabulary, improve your listening skills, and expose you to different accents and slang. It's important to watch a variety of movies, including those with subtitles, to challenge yourself and learn new words and phrases.</p><h2>4. Is it important to learn slang in English?</h2><p>Learning slang in English can be important for understanding and connecting with native speakers. However, it's also important to use slang appropriately and in the right context. It's best to learn slang by observing how native speakers use it and practicing with guidance from a teacher or language partner.</p><h2>5. How can I make watching movies a more effective way to improve my English?</h2><p>To make watching movies a more effective way to improve your English, you can try a few things. First, choose movies that interest you and are at your current level of English. You can also watch with subtitles and pause or rewind to review new words or phrases. Finally, you can discuss the movie with others and practice using new vocabulary and expressions in conversation.</p>

1. What are some tips for improving my slang in English?

One tip for improving your slang in English is to pay attention to how native speakers use slang in different situations. Watch TV shows and movies, listen to music, and read books or articles written by native English speakers. You can also practice using slang with native speakers or language exchange partners.

2. How can I improve my grammar in English?

To improve your grammar in English, it's important to understand the rules and patterns of the language. You can do this by studying grammar books, taking an English class, or working with a tutor. It's also helpful to practice using the grammar rules in your speaking and writing.

3. Can watching movies really help me improve my English?

Yes, watching movies can be a fun and effective way to improve your English. It can help you learn new vocabulary, improve your listening skills, and expose you to different accents and slang. It's important to watch a variety of movies, including those with subtitles, to challenge yourself and learn new words and phrases.

4. Is it important to learn slang in English?

Learning slang in English can be important for understanding and connecting with native speakers. However, it's also important to use slang appropriately and in the right context. It's best to learn slang by observing how native speakers use it and practicing with guidance from a teacher or language partner.

5. How can I make watching movies a more effective way to improve my English?

To make watching movies a more effective way to improve your English, you can try a few things. First, choose movies that interest you and are at your current level of English. You can also watch with subtitles and pause or rewind to review new words or phrases. Finally, you can discuss the movie with others and practice using new vocabulary and expressions in conversation.