Best Pickup Lines: Two Funny Ones to Try

• Thread starter Topher925
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lines
In summary: Please, don't anyone ever use that line ever. EVER!In summary, this conversation discusses how the most effective pickup line is the one least likely to raise skepticism in the mind of the recipient, and the least overtly sexual. There are also several other bad lines that have been used before, and it's advised that people not go to bars looking for a "potential mate to be tight with".

Topher925 said:
Thats aiming little high, but that's the only requirements for me to go home with them. :cool:

For me to actually be interested in an actual relationship with them they have to be ambitious, intelligent, and an atheist.

Atheist? Is that as important as intelligent? Didn't Einstein believe in an impersonal God? I bet Stephen Hawking and Michio Kaku believe as well. But well, that'd be a funny pick up line if you tell the chick she must be an atheist.

Physics news on Phys.org

WaveJumper said:
Atheist? Is that as important as intelligent? Didn't Einstein believe in an impersonal God? I bet Stephen Hawking and Michio Kaku believe as well. But well, that'd be a funny pick up line if you tell the chick she must be an atheist.
No, Einstein stated that he was agnostic in several letters that he wrote. It seems Hawking is listed as agnostic or atheist.

Last edited:

turbo-1 said:
They might not have worked on you, but they worked. Not to score, but to get closer to a lady that you will see again in the future, and maybe get together.

A whole lot more genteel and "couth" than buying a lady a drink after complimenting her rack and asking how she likes her eggs cooked.

You get closer to a lady AFTER she's already attracted to you. When I first meet a girl I am energetic flirty fun adventurous etc etc. Then after a few minutes of just being playful, you can start dropping slight compliments (and I do mean slight). If you compliment a girl before she's fully drawn to you, she won't respond too well.

EDIT:
cronxeh said:
You do realize that knowing a famous man's biography inside out is kind of pathetic? You think by replicating Einstein's or Feynman's life you will somehow become them? I mean I can see how you would be smarter if you studied same subjects they did, but using same pickup lines and adapting same habits will not make you them. You either have it or you don't and that is exactly the point of this thread - if you can't pick up a woman then no pickup line can help you

I also remember what Cyrus mentioned from Surely Youre Joking Mr Feynman... Doesn't mean I sit there memorizing his biography.

EDIT2:
BobG said:
When I say a 'bar', I mean atmosphere - .98692 atmospheres to be exact.

HAHAHAHahahahahahahaha!

Last edited:
Well the basic problem for us ladies, as far as I see it, is that you can't earn more than your man, you can't be more intelligent than your man and you definitely definitely can't be better educated than him. Men just can't take it :rolleyes: :cry: :confused:

BobG said:
Hmmm, that's a good question. Warehouses with dog agility training events is one option, but it's not exactly a very daring social excursion.

Turbo had a suggestion that actually works pretty well in this area of the country (he's not the first person I've heard this from).

It's not quite so archaic around here, except they actually have contra dancing, which is a little bit different (a little more international flavor) and they don't have them in barns.

The plusses are:
Contra dancing is not the same as country line dancing.
Contra dance groups receive absolutely no funding from Oliver North.
We do not wear costumes (except on Halloween) or any particular style of clothes. (I think this might mean nude dancing, but I'm not sure since I've never actually seen a contra dance).
Contra dance is a form of dance that thrusts a different person of the opposite sex into your arms every 30 seconds or so.
Contra dancers make eye contact whenever possible. Remember: they're gazing into your eyes not because they love you but because they want to make the connection, and they don't want to throw up on you. (partners considerate enough not to throw up on you is a very big plus).

So the options are:

Hillside Community Center

or (if willing to go out of town):
http://www.stellardaysandnights.org/valerie.htm

Man, that's going to be really hard to choose between those two options.

Um... I never said it was about meeting people.

I rarely ever get too far with a girl at a bar. I'll meet girls in elevators sometimes.

As long as you don't leave under a rock (physically and mentally), you will meet people.

I like nice bars because they are fun. That's it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, and I have no pick-up lines. Sucks for me I guess.

JasonRox said:
Oh, and I have no pick-up lines. Sucks for me I guess.

Then you should let me be your wingman.

What exactly does a "wingman" do, anyway? I never understood that.

JasonRox said:
I got free passes to this sick bar...

http://www.libertygroup.com/c_lounge/c_lounge.html

Check out the Fire and Ice Lounge.

Wow, that place looks awesome (sorry.. I'm a bit late to this thread!)

Math Is Hard said:

The wingman distracts the target's friends, pretending to show interest in them, and always building up their friend's reputation. If the target takes a liking to the wingman, the wingman is supposed to deflect all compliments to his buddy.
"Me? Good looking? Nah I look like crap most of the time, my buddy here he told me what I should wear."
"You like Modest Mouse? You know who loves Modest Mouse? so and so."
Whether or not it *works* is another story.

I don't remember if I used a pickup line on Tsu, but she uses one on me all the time. She says, "Hey, pick that up!".

Math Is Hard said:

Simple, a wingman is a pilot who supports another in a potentially dangerous flying environment.

Alternately another wingman:

Gabriel%20Angel.jpg

Oops :uhh: wrong thread.

Math Is Hard said:

When the "pointman" wants to hit on a girl in a bar, the wingman introduces himself to the girl's friend first, showing he's desparate (from another thread) and ensuring his own rejection. While he's busy being rejected, the "pointman" happens to see his old friend, "wingman", who introduces "pointman" to the girls, only one of whom is currently unoccupied (the girl the "pointman" wanted to hit on in the first place).

The wingman spends the rest of the night performing menial tasks, such as recalling anecdotes that make the pointman look good, reminding the pointman of the target girl's name, etc.

This works really well if the target girl has a wingwoman that plans on humiliating any subpar guys that hit on the pointwoman. The wingman's actions make the wingwoman think she's saving the pointwoman from a dud, not realizing the pointman is slipping in under the radar.

Things get really confusing if the target is actually the wingwoman and the wingman hits on the pointwoman instead of the wingwoman. With chafe and ECCM, the wingman and pointman at least have a chance of escaping the encounter alive.

Math Is Hard said:

Having a wingman always ups your confidence and for people who have approach anxiety, it usually helps them out a lot to have a wingman.

A wingman really isn't necessary but can technically help in some cases. Now, having a wing woman is amazing.

I'll let you guys in on a secret. When a group of girls go to a bar/club, they scope out all of the men and call dibs. So if Cindy calls dibs on the guy I want, no matter what happens or what that guy does, I am required to snub him all night. So, even though he might have been my dream man, to remain friends with Cindy, I have to act uninterested and talk about Cindy's great qualities. No Pointman or Wingman or Pacman is going to get the object of his desire if she didn't call dibs on him first.

I figured out this rule quickly and would only go out with girlfriends that disliked the type of guys I liked and vice versa. For example Moonbear and I would be great at cruising bars together since we like opposite types of men, physically.

Evo said:
When a group of girls go to a bar/club, they scope out all of the men and call dibs. No Pointman or Wingman or Pacman is going to get the object of his desire if she didn't call dibs on him first.
So that explains why most girls travel in packs, dance in a circle, and shield each other away from men trying to dance with you.

Evo said:
I'll let you guys in on a secret. When a group of girls go to a bar/club, they scope out all of the men and call dibs. So if Cindy calls dibs on the guy I want, no matter what happens or what that guy does, I am required to snub him all night. So, even though he might have been my dream man, to remain friends with Cindy, I have to act uninterested and talk about Cindy's great qualities. No Pointman or Wingman or Pacman is going to get the object of his desire if she didn't call dibs on him first.

I figured out this rule quickly and would only go out with girlfriends that disliked the type of guys I liked and vice versa. For example Moonbear and I would be great at cruising bars together since we like opposite types of men, physically.

I tend to approach mere seconds after first seeing a girl/group of girls. In that case I don't think dibs can be called fast enough. However if I'm busy then I guess dibs can be called on me...

I'm curious whether girls I know do this. I am about to send some text messages...

noumed said:
So that explains why most girls travel in packs, dance in a circle, and shield each other away from men trying to dance with you.

moose said:
I tend to approach mere seconds after first seeing a girl/group of girls. In that case I don't think dibs can be called fast enough. However if I'm busy then I guess dibs can be called on me...

I'm curious whether girls I know do this. I am about to send some text messages...
I'm nearsighted and Cindy has eyes like a hawk. She would call dibs on guys I couldn't even see yet. :frown:

cronxeh said:
"My FICO score is 850 and I drive a Porsche. Would you like to go for some champagne on my yacht?"

That line .. yea.. that very line.. if all elements are true, it works :biggrin:
Show me a credit report, bank statement, and title to the car and yacht to prove it, and I'll let you stay and talk to me. :biggrin:

Cyrus said:
Ladies ONLY:

If a guy says 'you have the most bla bla bla eyes' at a bar would you even give him 5 mins of your time?
Of course I would. Humor is always good to break the ice. :biggrin: It either has to be clear that he's joking, or I have to be so drunk I'd talk to anyone and everyone.

Cyrus said:
It's hard having conversations when people live in vastly different places from one another. Where you live, where I live, and where turbo live, it's hard to talk on the same page because things are so fundamentally different.

When I say a 'bar'. I mean this:

http://www.eaw.com/frontrow/Lotus%20Open%201.jpg
I prefer bars with people in them. I don't go to the expensive places like that...just a bunch of overpriced drinks and snooty people who think they're too good for people who would go to the local neighborhood bar. And, everyone in those snooty bars is on the prowl. Folks in the neighborhood bar sometimes wander in just to have a drink, watch a game, grab a bite to eat, and maybe make a friend or two chatting with other patrons.

Ivan Seeking said:
I don't remember if I used a pickup line on Tsu, but she uses one on me all the time. She says, "Hey, pick that up!".
:rofl:

Actually, I still remember the conversation from when I first met my boyfriend (the first time I met him, many years ago). The waitress asked me how I wanted to order my steak, and I answered, "Rare." My now boyfriend turned to me and said, "A woman after my own heart." Later in the evening I tried to go after it with the steak knife. The rest is history. :biggrin:

Evo said:

I've never called dibs on guys when going out with my friends...hmm...maybe that's why they always got all the guys. :uhh:

Moonbear said:
I prefer bars with people in them. I don't go to the expensive places like that...just a bunch of overpriced drinks and snooty people who think they're too good for people who would go to the local neighborhood bar. And, everyone in those snooty bars is on the prowl. Folks in the neighborhood bar sometimes wander in just to have a drink, watch a game, grab a bite to eat, and maybe make a friend or two chatting with other patrons.

What you're talking about is a sports bar. I don't go to sports bars because I don't watch sports (sorry, I aint a real man). The bars I go to don't serve any food either. Usually when I go to a bar its because my friend is DJing there, and so I get in for free ($20.00 cover charge), and I don't have to wait in line if there is one. I usually have one drink when I go there because I don't go to the bar to drink, so the whole night ends up costing me on the order of less than $10.00. My friend DJs house music, so its always a bunch of tall european girls there from Russia, Ukraine, etc. They also require that you dress nice to get in.

When I go, Its because my friends DJing and a bunch of my friends show up and we dance and have fun. The more you go, the more people you see there as 'locals' too, so you make new friends.

Contrary to turbo's belief, I don't go there looking for a 'potential mate'. I just go there to have fun.

Moonbear said:

Snooty people and things? They have those everywhere. I met lots of cool girls that have way more money than me. It has never stopped them from conversing with me because I'm not holding a drink in my hand, and not buying any.

I'm usually outside on the patio chatting, in the lounge chatting. I really don't dance much at all.

Ok, so are wingmen for insecure guys, then? Like, they can't get a girl on their own, so they have to friend to boost their confidence...and get a girl for them...

mcknia07 said:
Ok, so are wingmen for insecure guys, then? Like, they can't get a girl on their own, so they have to friend to boost their confidence...and get a girl for them...

I hate wingmen.

I only know of two I would trust. The first I had to like... be tough on him because he would do things I hated. He started listening, and it started working much much better. But usually, you're on your own. So much better.

Men, that try to get a girl on their own, shows so much more confidence, I think. It makes a guy more attractive, whether they are (physically) or not.

Of course, but there is also a down side if you have no friends around. Girls like social status and such. Having friends is a display of status.

Ok, that is very true too. We don't want a loser, :biggrin:

mcknia07 said:
Ok, that is very true too. We don't want a loser, :biggrin:

Then you have fashion, like Cyrus said and so on and so on and so on.

I don't particularly think girls look at fashion but it surely does help. I like to look good, so that's why I do it. I like to keep my room clean and the list goes on.

The biggest thing is to have good character. Some math majors say that being a math major is a turn off for girls. Really? Most girls I met liked it. First, they think I'm smart. Second, they're like... he's smart and fun. And third, he's passionate about what he does. I show that I love mathematics and how beautiful it really is. That's why I'm studying it. That's me. That's part of my life. I'm not doing it because I'm uncertain, I'm doing it because I love it.

Essentially, you have amongst the top 3 things already that girls look for in a guy, in terms of character and such. And the list builds on because (read psychology) smart can be associated with responsible, well-brought up, and fun as open minded and adventurous, and passionate as emotionally alive!

So really, it's a win win scenario. The only time being a math major is a turn off is when you come off as someone who's lacking confidence, insecure, and so on. Then you fall directly in the category of what girls think of math people... not good.

But when you come off as confident, euthiastic and such, it throws them off a little. Girls like that.

I rarely put a girl in a position to ask me what program I'm in or whatever at the beginning of the conversation. It usually happens later when she's got interest. I remember one time my friend was kind of annoyed of the question or something, not sure. I guess he was thinking it was going nowhere. So, like usual, I think let's have fun. I tell her to guess mine... obviously way off. They always guess something like business (popular). Then I'm like.. "Let me guess your program. But first, you need to spin around so I can get a good look of you, and make a good guess." Haha, my friend liked that. I even stopped her half way. ;) And after that, how bad your guess is never really matters. If you get it right, bonus points... why? Read psychology. Exercise of the day.

By the time a girl finds out I'm a physics major, it always makes her more interested in me than before. This is true even if she hates physics. To most people science = smart (whether its true or not). If you are an interesting fun guy, and show none of the stereotypical science nerd personality traits, then having them think you're smart always helps. If you don't believe me, imagine some guy who is the life of the party, a super fun outgoing confident man. Someone who's wanted by most females. Now imagine finding out that he's studying some scientific field!

JasonRox said:
So, like usual, I think let's have fun. I tell her to guess mine... obviously way off. They always guess something like business (popular). Then I'm like.. "Let me guess your program. But first, you need to spin around so I can get a good look of you, and make a good guess." Haha, my friend liked that. I even stopped her half way. ;) And after that, how bad your guess is never really matters. If you get it right, bonus points... why? Read psychology. Exercise of the day.

Holy **** that's perfect. When I have a girl do a spin, I usually slap her *** and say "that's all you get, don't get any ideas". Sounds stupid but has always worked for me (note: probably* don't do it right when you first meet her...). Psychologically, if you get hers correct, does it build rapport or...?

*there are exceptions to everything

Last edited:
Fashion is always a plus in my eyes. Some of the guys, ok well...most of the guys in my Physics and engineering classes, I want to say, "hey let me help you pick something out and let's go shopping". They wear some of the ugliest clothing ever, most of the girls I know, if you dress like a bumb, they won't even look at you(sad but very true). (So *hint* wear better looking and more stylish clothes, you will look sexier and make sure to act confident) :biggrin:

mcknia07 said:
(So *hint* wear better looking and more stylish clothes, you will look sexier and make sure to act confident) :biggrin:
Jeans, scruffy trainers and nerd joke T shirts will never go out of fashion!

mgb_phys said:

Oh I am afraid you might be wrong. Granted, they can be cute at times. Not all people will get them, ok, and to be honest, I don't get them most of the time. I tend to stare with a blank look. It takes a long time for me to get something, and most of the time it has to be explained. Even then, it hits me like 10 minutes after, and I randomly laugh, lol. Being blonde can do that :biggrin:

mgb_phys said:

Oh, poor mgb_phys. If only they read "warning contains irony"....sigh.

I dunno, jeans are hella stylish

hella stylish. Nice use of the english language.

moose said:
By the time a girl finds out I'm a physics major, it always makes her more interested in me than before. This is true even if she hates physics. To most people science = smart (whether its true or not). If you are an interesting fun guy, and show none of the stereotypical science nerd personality traits, then having them think you're smart always helps. If you don't believe me, imagine some guy who is the life of the party, a super fun outgoing confident man. Someone who's wanted by most females. Now imagine finding out that he's studying some scientific field!

Holy **** that's perfect. When I have a girl do a spin, I usually slap her *** and say "that's all you get, don't get any ideas". Sounds stupid but has always worked for me (note: probably* don't do it right when you first meet her...). Psychologically, if you get hers correct, does it build rapport or...?

*there are exceptions to everything

Not sure if you're joking or not?