Your body isn't as old as you think

• Medical
  • Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Body
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of aging and cell replication, as well as the constant renewal of most of the body's tissues. Alan Alda's explanation of aging as similar to copying copies in a copying machine is mentioned, and the idea that our bones are recreated on a 7-10 year cycle is brought up. The conversation then shifts to a discussion on the age of cells and the recycled material in our bodies. The article "Your Body Is Younger Than You Think" is shared as a starting point for further reading. Overall, the conversation highlights the constant discovery of new information about the human body and its processes.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
A thread in philosophy made me think of something I had learned years ago about cell replication and aging and how as we age we tend to get more and more "mutations".

As Alan Alda said in a Scientific American Frontiers show, it's like copying copies in a copying machine. Each time you copy a copy, the quality gets worse. So, even though the cells are new, they are not the same as the originals, we call this "aging". This was also the show on nematodes and telomeres for those of you that saw it. Here is the transcript http://www.pbs.org/saf/transcripts/transcript1003.htm

Anyway, I digress, I was reading about bones back then and was surprised to learn that our bones are recreated on a seven year cycle (this article says 10, whatever).

I was thinking if I was surprised to learn at just how "young" our bones are, some others may also find this interesting. It seems that we are finding out more and more every day.

Here's an article to get you started.

Your Body Is Younger Than You Think

Whatever your age, your body is many years younger. In fact, even if you're middle aged, most of you may be just 10 years old or less.

This heartening truth, which arises from the fact that most of the body's tissues are under constant renewal, has been underlined by a novel method of estimating the age of human cells. Its inventor, Jonas Frisen, believes the average age of all the cells in an adult's body may turn out to be as young as 7 to 10 years.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/02/science/02cell.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
Evo said:
A thread in philosophy made me think of something I had learned years ago about cell replication and aging and how as we age we tend to get more and more "mutations".

As Alan Alda said in a Scientific American Frontiers show, it's like copying copies in a copying machine. Each time you copy a copy, the quality gets worse. So, even though the cells are new, they are not the same as the originals, we call this "aging". This was also the show on nematodes and telomeres for those of you that saw it. Here is the transcript http://www.pbs.org/saf/transcripts/transcript1003.htm

Anyway, I digress, I was reading about bones back then and was surprised to learn that our bones are recreated on a seven year cycle (this article says 10, whatever).

I was thinking if I was surprised to learn at just how "young" our bones are, some others may also find this interesting. It seems that we are finding out more and more every day.

Here's an article to get you started.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/02/science/02cell.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Thanks a bunch Evo, I feel better already:approve::biggrin:

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
RonL said:
Thanks a bunch Evo, I feel better already:approve::biggrin:

Ron
Yeah, nice to know that physically you're only 10-15 years old, eh?

To some extent that's a question about dilutions - how much of what's inside of me was there - say - 10 years ago? Cells may be new, but they are built from material transported by blood. Part of this material is new, but part is recycled.

Which makes me wonder, how much of the meal my Dad had in early sixties is still insde of me...

Evo said:
Yeah, nice to know that physically you're only 10-15 years old, eh?

Except for your neurons, most of these are as old as you are.

Maybe this statement was a tautology..

Cincinnatus said:
Except for your neurons, most of these are as old as you are.

Maybe this statement was a tautology..
It was an attempt at a joke, I guess it was a poor attempt. :smile: The piece I linked to talks about neurons.

and the response was meant to be ironic, I guess it was a poor attempt:smile:

Cincinnatus said:
and the response was meant to be ironic, I guess it was a poor attempt:smile:
:rofl:

1. How can my body be younger than my actual age?

It is a common misconception that our bodies age linearly with time. In reality, our biological age is influenced by various factors such as genetics, lifestyle choices, and environmental factors. This means that even though you may be a certain age in years, your body may be younger or older in terms of its overall health and functioning.

2. What are some lifestyle choices that can affect my body's age?

Some lifestyle choices that can contribute to premature aging of the body include smoking, excessive alcohol consumption, lack of physical activity, and a poor diet. These habits can increase oxidative stress and inflammation in the body, leading to accelerated aging at a cellular level.

3. Can I reverse the effects of aging on my body?

While it is not possible to reverse the aging process completely, making positive changes to your lifestyle can help slow down the rate at which your body ages. Regular exercise, a balanced diet, and stress management techniques can all contribute to promoting longevity and maintaining a younger biological age.

4. How can I measure my body's age?

There are various methods that can be used to determine your body's biological age. These include physical exams, blood tests, and specialized assessments that measure factors such as telomere length and epigenetic markers. Consulting with a healthcare professional can help you determine the best method for assessing your body's age.

5. Is it possible for my body to be older than my actual age?

Yes, it is possible for your body to be older than your chronological age. Factors such as chronic stress, poor sleep quality, and exposure to environmental toxins can all contribute to accelerated aging. It is important to take care of your body and make healthy lifestyle choices to help slow down the aging process and promote overall well-being.