Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Your candidate for a space pet

1. Apr 30, 2017 #1
    Please help me flesh this out:

You share a "long haul" freighter with six-ten other people. Everybody can have one pet that runs lose (cats, ferrets, etc.) or more that are permanently confined to the person's private living space. (Gold fish would be an example of the latter.)

Tribbles are not allowed.

So what would you take aboard and how do you think they'd get into trouble while on the freighter. The ship is on a circular route, traveling around a six-planet course. Some planets don't allow "alien" species off the ship, some require them to be placed in quarantine or "stasis" while in-system.

Earth pets are fine, but if you chose one from another system please give fullest details appropriate regarding the critter.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2017 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

All the good ones have been done. Cat, raccoon. Intelligent, dextrous, used to climbing.

Question: is gravity variable?

Squirrel? Snake?

4. Apr 30, 2017 #3
    Gravity can be variable but they're on a long route, most of their time spent in space, so they have artificial gravity or spin. (Haven't settled that one yet.) I have rhesus monkeys, lemurs, and ferrets on the list. I may allow them to have IQs boost up to 150% of "non-modified" relatives.

5. Apr 30, 2017 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

While other animals may get into mischief, ferrets are made of mischief. Ferrets will burrow. Into anything. Once they give up on the hull plating, they will find a nice electrical panel to dig through until they come out the other side.

Frankly, I'd bet that they'd be on the "no fly" list for that reason, Especially having scuttled a few vessels in the past.

6. Apr 30, 2017 #5

BillTre

Science Advisor

My first thought was of modified alligators or of snakes.

I would image that their carnivorous tendencies could present some problems.
    Something related to octopi or squids might also have potential.
    I tend to like aquatics creatures and swamps. Animals of different environments would however require special considerations in a space ship.

I have occasionally wondered why there are so few pets in SciFi space situations (except in Alien where the cat seemed like a plot device to me). I guess they would be considered a luxury requiring additional resources to support them and their environments. Free ranging the ship would probably not be feasible.
    Hosting alien species could provide a reason for the initial set-up of of their facilities.
    Particular pets might have a better communication conduit with some alien species for a variety of reasons.
    What about the poop?

Animals in colonies could be interesting but would not fit in your single pet rule, unless you considered them as a single meta-organism (bee-hive (with a different kind of language)).
    I read about a guy who had a pet parasite once. Some worm thing that would poke its head out of through his skin occasionally.

Some of the aliens might have interesting pets.

7. Apr 30, 2017 #6
    The General-class Battlecruiser MacArthur had a time of ferrets on board to keep the rodent population down. Sadly, they went over to the Moties.

8. Apr 30, 2017 #7
    "...or more that are permanently confined to the person's private living space. (Gold fish would be an example of the latter.)"

Parasites would be out if they couldn't live outside the host. I can't see Customs allowing one of those onto their nice clean planet.

As for poop, it might be a salable item on some planets. The sales negotiations would be ... interesting.

9. Apr 30, 2017 #8

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Been so long I don't remember ferrets.

10. Apr 30, 2017 #9

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Why would pet poop be handled any differently than human poop?

11. Apr 30, 2017 #10
    The Brownies wound up raising them for food, until the Cycle turned for that colony.

As for poop, exotic animal poop might find a market on some worlds. Stranger things have happened right here on Earth.

12. Apr 30, 2017 #11

BillTre

Science Advisor

Most of the pets I've known don't do it in the toilet.

13. Apr 30, 2017 #12
    I would never go into space. So I will answer a related question. If I lived in the woods, I would prefer a good snake dog. Probably a Jack Russell.

P.S. could there be snakes in the space vessel?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  14. May 1, 2017 #13
    It's all in the training. Our cats use the toilet. We started with an insert that was basically a litter box, and they sit on the seat and do their thing. After a time we removed the tray and they went anyway.

@ Aufbauwerk 2045
    Snake on a space plane? :biggrin: Yeah, snakes would be an option. The pets will be a reflection of the owner. One person hates snakes, so another gets one just to fan the flames. Just one piece in the puzzle.

15. May 1, 2017 #14

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I thought you meant 'what will they do with it all'?

Animals can be litter trained. Especially if they have their IQs boosted by 150%.

16. May 1, 2017 #15

BillTre

Science Advisor

There are limits.

But Yes!!

17. May 1, 2017 #16
    I'm reminded of the dogs in Starship Troopers and the mules in Time Enough for Love.

18. May 1, 2017 #17
    I say cat. Anyone read Tuf Voyaging by George rr Martin? You'd know why.

19. May 1, 2017 #18

Fervent Freyja

Gold Member

A raven. Or a team of them. They could unleash mayhem, being the most equipped to navigate a low-G environment and probably the most cunning of the pets. Equip them with some weights to help them control their gliding better and some time so they could adjust their physiology to the environment. They would be the fastest animal on the ship. They could steal food from everyone and be a real annoyance to the slower creatures.

20. May 1, 2017 #19

BillTre

Science Advisor

And they will poop everywhere!

21. May 1, 2017 #20

Fervent Freyja

Gold Member

You are on the feces thing! :smile: It could rain if they are flying near the ceilings. How much force is being placed on the pellets? Could it knock a smaller animal out? They could also glide around pecking people on the head. They would have to turn on artificial gravity to catch them!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted