Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Your Craziest Lab Experience

1. Mar 25, 2003 #1
    Post your most crazy/embaressing/memorable etc. experience in lab here

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2003 #2
    Plugging electrolytic capacitors into an electrical outlet, so when the teacher turned on the circuit breaker - BLAM!!!

...or having him assign us to apply a "ball-peen hammer" for imploding a cathode ray tube out at the dumpster (eye protection?)

4. Mar 26, 2003 #3
    I always enjoyed putting the magnesium strips next to the bunson burner. I even "permenently borrowed" a few strips, but they have since been changed into other molecules.

5. Mar 27, 2003 #4
    imagine... a whole class of girls crowded around a chicken being dissected by the teacher. a slice of the scalpel and the neck is open, the teacher reaches in, pulls a tendon and the beak and eyes of the chicken open in a very possessed chiken sort of way, people could here the screams for miles.

6. Mar 27, 2003 #5
    I have poured concentrated (2M) sulphuric acid, concentrated bleaching solution (containing hypochlorite ion) and potassium iodide solution together!! a think layer of bubbles formed on top of the solution inside a 100 cm^3 beaker!! Then the whole laboratory was filled with poisonous chlorine gas and iodine gas !! I inhaled quite a lot of the gases, was afraid that I would kill my classmates and myself in the lab. :smile:

KL Kam

7. Mar 27, 2003 #6
    Thermocouples and Liquid Nitrogen

I managed to burn myself once with liquid nitrogen . Really hurt as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?