Your Definitions of Good and Evil

• Thread starter quddusaliquddus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Definitions
In summary, the conversation discusses the book "Beyond Good and Evil" by philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche and the concept of good and evil being artificial labels that do not necessarily have a basis for being preferable to one another. The conversation also includes a joking reference to the user's name as being related to the book, and a discussion on the difficulty of understanding the phrase "gevild".
quddusaliquddus
[as it says above]
:devil: <=> :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
quddusaliquddus said:
[as it says above]
:devil: <=> :smile:

I am Beyond Good and Evil.

Some sort of prize to the first person to understand that.

lol...ur gevild [pronounced: Ge-Veld]

Your name is franznietzsche, the philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche wrote a book titled "Beyond Good and Evil". You think you are a book. :rolleyes: What's the prize?

quddusaliquddus said:
lol...ur gevild [pronounced: Ge-Veld]

Watch thread? Please tell me if that's what it means- it took a suprisingly long time to figure out! :surprise:

honestrosewater said:
Your name is franznietzsche, the philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche wrote a book titled "Beyond Good and Evil". You think you are a book. :rolleyes: What's the prize?

Close...in fact very close, but i wasn't saying i was the book, i was answering the thread question, so what was my answer?

Yes. It means that. How did it take you so long?

franznietzsche said:
Close...in fact very close, but i wasn't saying i was the book, i was answering the thread question, so what was my answer?

I figured as much, I was just joking.
You are superman? I don't know, was I supposed to read the book? :biggrin:
You think that good and evil are shackles that bind us to an idealist dream of what we should be, meanwhile slowly poisoning what we really are ? Yeah, I don't know- I think I have read so many Nietzsche misinterpretations, I have forgotten anything he actually said. Not that I studied him much to begin with, obviously.
Maybe I will go read if the prize is worth it ;)

er- is idealist dream redundant or what? ;)

Last edited:
quddusaliquddus said:
Yes. It means that. How did it take you so long?

Because I'm an American and am oblivious to any language besides American :devil: Okay, that's not fair, but kinda funny.
Seriously, I wasn't sure if it was German or Danish/Dutch (what is the difference anyway?) Plus, once I figured out it was Danish, the first gazillion online translation dictionaries didn't have any entry for "gevild".
Oh well, I'm glad I finally got it :)
Happy thoughts
Rachel

franznietzsche said:

You were created from love, as anything done out of love is always done beyond good and evil?

loseyourname said:
You were created from love, as anything done out of love is always done beyond good and evil?

Mencken and I agree 100% on love.

honestrosewater said:
You think that good and evil are shackles that bind us to an idealist dream of what we should be, meanwhile slowly poisoning what we really are ? Yeah, I don't know- I think I have read so many Nietzsche misinterpretations, I have forgotten anything he actually said.

You ahve read a lot of misinterpretations. What he really said that while good and evil exist, as artifical labels given to concepts they are not necessarily opposites and furthermore, there is no non-a priori basis for choosing one as being preferable to the other, simply put there is no reason to be good rather than evil, such ideas as the definitive good vs evil are medieval at best, the preference is relative and a priori.

1. What is your definition of good?

My definition of good is an action, behavior, or belief that is morally and ethically sound, promotes well-being and positivity, and aligns with my personal values and principles.

2. How do you define evil?

In my perspective, evil is an action, behavior, or belief that is morally and ethically wrong, causes harm and suffering, and goes against my personal values and principles.

3. What factors influence your definitions of good and evil?

My definitions of good and evil are influenced by my upbringing, cultural and societal norms, personal experiences, and my own moral compass.

4. Do you think good and evil are subjective or objective concepts?

I believe that good and evil can be both subjective and objective. While there may be universal principles of good and evil, individuals may have their own interpretations and perceptions of these concepts.

5. Can good and evil exist without each other?

In my opinion, good and evil are two sides of the same coin and cannot exist without each other. One cannot fully understand and appreciate the concept of good without experiencing or understanding evil, and vice versa.