Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Your Definitions of Good and Evil

1. May 23, 2004 #1
    [as it says above]
    :devil: <=> :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2004 #2
    I am Beyond Good and Evil.

Some sort of prize to the first person to understand that.

4. May 25, 2004 #3
    lol....ur gevild [pronounced: Ge-Veld]

5. May 25, 2004 #4

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Your name is franznietzsche, the philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche wrote a book titled "Beyond Good and Evil". You think you are a book. :rolleyes: What's the prize?

6. May 25, 2004 #5

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Watch thread? Please tell me if that's what it means- it took a suprisingly long time to figure out! :surprise:

7. May 25, 2004 #6

Close...in fact very close, but i wasn't saying i was the book, i was answering the thread question, so what was my answer?

8. May 25, 2004 #7
    Yes. It means that. How did it take you so long?

9. May 25, 2004 #8

honestrosewater

Gold Member

I figured as much, I was just joking.
    You are superman? I don't know, was I supposed to read the book? :biggrin:
    You think that good and evil are shackles that bind us to an idealist dream of what we should be, meanwhile slowly poisoning what we really are ? Yeah, I don't know- I think I have read so many Nietzsche misinterpretations, I have forgotten anything he actually said. Not that I studied him much to begin with, obviously.
    Maybe I will go read if the prize is worth it ;)

er- is idealist dream redundant or what? ;)

Last edited: May 25, 2004
  10. May 25, 2004 #9

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Because I'm an American and am oblivious to any language besides American :devil: Okay, that's not fair, but kinda funny.
    Seriously, I wasn't sure if it was German or Danish/Dutch (what is the difference anyway?) Plus, once I figured out it was Danish, the first gazillion online translation dictionaries didn't have any entry for "gevild".
    Oh well, I'm glad I finally got it :)
    Happy thoughts
    Rachel

11. May 26, 2004 #10

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

You were created from love, as anything done out of love is always done beyond good and evil?

12. May 26, 2004 #11
    Mencken and I agree 100% on love.

You ahve read a lot of misinterpretations. What he really said that while good and evil exist, as artifical labels given to concepts they are not necessarily opposites and furthermore, there is no non-a priori basis for choosing one as being preferable to the other, simply put there is no reason to be good rather than evil, such ideas as the definitive good vs evil are medieval at best, the preference is relative and a priori.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?