Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Your experience ?

1. Jun 22, 2011 #1
    How often do you get hard to recall the name of person(or friend) who is near you , at school, college or your workplace?
    It often happens to me. And it is so embarassing.

Moreover it is much embarassing to ask that particular freind for his name or others to tell his or her name.

Then I keep it myself in my head waiting and thinking to pop the name of that person in my head. And I feel, it goes over my head.

your experience .....please?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2011 #2
    That's why I always carry my driver's licence with me even if I am not driving.

4. Jun 22, 2011 #3
    Sorry ,but I didn't understand. I was talking about recalling the names of person who is near you.
    You seem to be talking about recalling your own name.

5. Jun 22, 2011 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Reminds me of

names.png

Anyway, I'm terrible with names. I always forget them...

6. Jun 22, 2011 #5
    nice cartoon .......

7. Jun 22, 2011 #6

fluidistic

Gold Member

It doesn't happen to me, or at least as far as I recall. It might be because I don't know the name of most people in my class. I know the name of 2 of them in fact. I have only a few more friends so that might explain why I don't forget their name.
    And about Jimmy Snyder... lol again. I'm having fun when I read your posts in this forum. That was hilarious.

8. Jun 22, 2011 #7

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I know exactly what your mean. It must be some sort of inherited trait or something because my father had the same problem.

Quick.........What's your name? :)

9. Jun 22, 2011 #8

drizzle

Gold Member

I AM the worst. [URL]http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/sad/sad0015.gif[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  10. Jun 22, 2011 #9

phyzguy

Science Advisor

Here's a trick I learned from my father-in-law, who was in sales and had to remember a lot of people's names. When he was introduced to someone, he would make a point of repeating their name out loud, as in, " This is Rachel,", and you respond, "Hi, Rachel." Just the act of saying their name out loud helps to remember it. Other people have told me that they think up some funny (or dirty) imagery to go with the person's name - for example if the person's name is Phil, you imagine 'fill'-ing their head up with water. These vivid images help a lot in being able to recall their name later.

11. Jun 22, 2011 #10

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  12. Jun 22, 2011 #11

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Seriously, my mom would do the same - and she'd sometimes get to the dog's name before finding the right one!

But I wonder if it's modeled rather than inherited. I grew up in a house where proper names were rarely used, but instead pet names were the norm. Remembering, or even just using, proper names is something I struggle with, too.

13. Jun 22, 2011 #12
    I can see where that would be embarrassing.

14. Jun 22, 2011 #13
    When I was in my thirties and something like that happened, my sister-in-law would say, "Remember that this happens at this age. Otherwise in twenty years you'll assume it's senility".

Twenty years later, I am very grateful for her observation.

15. Jun 22, 2011 #14
    I know exactly what you're talking about. It's awful. I've gotten to where I just ask the person their name or use some generic name, like dude, man, etc. It ends up making me sound immature, but I guess that's better than making them think their so unimportant to you that you can't remember their name (which is what most people assume, I presume).

16. Jun 22, 2011 #15

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thank god. I'm not alone. I love these forums.

Nine out of ten time, my mom calls me Brad (my brother). Must be inherited?

17. Jun 23, 2011 #16
    I'm bad with names on a regular basis -_- Maybe ppl should start changing their names to Sedna, Neptune, Ceres, Eris or something else I can actually remember :tongue2:

18. Jun 23, 2011 #17
    i'm not only bad with names, i have trouble recalling the exact word i want to use.

19. Jun 23, 2011 #18

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think if your brother calls you Brad, you might have a case that it's inherited.

20. Jun 23, 2011 #19

turbo

Gold Member

My nickname is Skip and my friend's brother-in-law's is Chip. When he calls me on the phone, it's about 50:50 that he's going to call me the wrong name at least once.

BTW, I grew up with my friend and have known him well for 40+ years, AND he was married to my sister for a few years.

21. Jun 23, 2011 #20
    This happens to me with prolonged sleep deprivation, or I say the wrong thing even though I am thinking the right thing

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook