Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Your favorite little known movie

1. Aug 13, 2003 #1
    My wife and I own a small video store and there are several movies that are less than popular, but are still great films.

What are some of your favorite movies that aren't that well known?

I have a few examples:

"Lady in White." It's a great little ghost story set back in the late 50s (I think) sort of "Wonder Years" meets "The Shining." It has great characters, a good little mystery, and a creepy ghost story.

Another one would be "My Bodyguard." Again, good character development and a strong story.

What are some of your little known favorites?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2003 #2
    I just want you to know that I've actually seen 'Lady in White'...*hangs head in shame*
  4. Aug 13, 2003 #3
    Why shame? You didn't like it?

What I am hoping to get as responses are what they call "sleepers": good movies that just don't have the popularity of some of the others out there.

I am a little surprised that anyone knew that one though.

Here's one for true horror fans: "Re-animator." Grabs you in the first five minutes and takes you through some truely gruesome scenes to the "Oh my gosh" ending. It's not for everyone, but if you like gruesome tongue in cheek horror, this is for you.
  5. Aug 13, 2003 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Metropolis, Mind Walk, My Dinner with Andre, Kafka, Jacobs Ladder.

I have seen many others but it has been a very long time. By the way, I was buddies with the guys that created Phantasm; my brief encounter with Hollyweird... What a great success for an idea driven by failed rock star turned mailman.

Edit: You wouldn't believe how many times I have watched Metropolis. Also, this was the first cinema use of the idea "ROBOT".
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2003
  6. Aug 13, 2003 #5
    You have to see "Fright night". A genial mixture of terror and humour
  7. Aug 13, 2003 #6
    Six String Samurai.
    A great and very funny film.
  8. Aug 13, 2003 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

PS. The one Sci-FI that I found shockingly bad was A Boy and His Dog. I knew someone else that like it, but I thought this was the worst I had ever seen. Also, there is a really bad Japanese movie called The Bear And The Eagle [I think in English].
  9. Aug 13, 2003 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

mulholland drive is weird...
    shawshank redemption, one of my favorites
    can't think of any others right now...
  10. Aug 13, 2003 #9

A good film that is not well known
    is "Baghdad Cafe". It's about a
    bunch of quirky characters who
    hang out at this motel/restaurant
    out west in the middle of the des-
    ert. Definitly worth seeing if you
    like good films that aren't well

Another one I saw recently was
    called "Divorcing Jack", an Irish
    film, also full of quirky char-
    acters, but this one has alot of
    violence and bad language. The plot and situations were on the
    "different" side. I enjoyed it.
  11. Aug 13, 2003 #10
    respect ivan seeking! metropolis rocks my socks! i saw the new anime one first and then recently saw the original, it was great! i laughed, i cried, ahh what a movie!

favorite little known movie? well there are heaps of australian ones that would be little known internationally, like 'Lantana', what a classic, and 'Priscilla, Queen of the desert'. 'Monsoon Wedding' is another great film, umm, 'Sexy Beast' is not so known. well i only really see little known movies so i won't go on!
  12. Aug 14, 2003 #11
    The japaneese version(the original version btw) of The Ring.

It's much more disturbing!
  13. Aug 14, 2003 #12

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I had to see that movie for some class. the teacher also said it was good and was suggested by many students. Yeah rigth, I fell a sleep during the movie.

A good movie that is not well known is "cube" and "Pi".
  14. Aug 14, 2003 #13
    I thought of a couple more. These two have a physical science theme. "The Dish" a quirky little Australian film about the Australian satelite dish that brought in the first pictures of the moon landing. Funny and strange telling of a piece of science history.

The other was a little more popular, but lots of people probably haven't seen it: "October Sky" the movie is about the childhood of the man who trains the space shuttle pilots and his early interest in rockets. Great movie.

Thanks for the suggestions. I would love to see Metropolis, but we don't own that one yet. I know of it and from what I've seen in clips and such it looks great.

I've seen "Bagdad Cafe"(I don't remember it very well though.), "Priscilla, Queen of the desert" (funny movie), "Mulholland drive" (Yes, it is wierd, but I liked it also).

Kerrie, Shawshank Redemption was good. Hard to believe it was based on a story by Steven King. Have you seen the Green mile? Also based on a story by Steven King. Although it is a little more supernatural than Shawshank, it is quite good.
  15. Aug 14, 2003 #14

Thanks for your response to my
    movie suggestion. I would like to
    respond in detail but every time
    I try to read what you wrote I
    fall asleep halfway through.

16. Aug 14, 2003 #15

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

and I though I was interresting. Guess I was wrong:wink:
  17. Aug 14, 2003 #16
    Legend of the Fist
  18. Aug 14, 2003 #17

Do you mean "Fist Of Legend" with
    Jet Li?

I googled "Legend of the Fist" and
    nothing came up but "Fist of
  19. Aug 14, 2003 #18
    Perhaps but I clearly remember watching it as "Legend of the Fist" (we have a satellite dish and I have a bad habit of frequently checking out the title of the movie I happen to watch at that moment).

It could be a spoonerism typo with the satellite company.
  20. Aug 14, 2003 #19
    Okay, I went to imdb.org and typed in "Jet Li" and one of the movies came out to be "Fist of the Legend"

So it must have been a satellite dish typo.

Bummer. I think "Legend of the Fist" sounds cooler :frown:
  21. Aug 14, 2003 #20
    "Legend Of The Fist" is definitly
    a better title.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?