Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Your favorite periodical?

1. Aug 21, 2004 #1

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Which magazine do you have or would you like to have a subscription to? (not that I'm buying :wink:) I'm thinking about subscribing to The Economist and NewsWeek, something else I should consider?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2004 #2
    I'd like a magazine for men that's like but not as sleazy as Maxim, but it doesn't exist. Here anyway. Women got hundreds of these magazines, but we don't have ONE. Really unfair.
    Maybe it'll come soon.
    What I mean is kinda like Cosmo but with men interests and viewpoint of course. So entertainment+clothers+genderal stuff+misc articles+science.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2004
  4. Aug 21, 2004 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

www.AskMen.com ? I'm not sure if such a magazine you describe doesn't exist, otherwise it could be a hole in the market :wink:

5. Aug 21, 2004 #4
    AskMen is better. But is it as a magazine too? Can't remember to see it here.
    I'm not sure if such a magazine doesn't exist either, but I can't find one here.

6. Aug 21, 2004 #5
    Economist? NewsWeek? :surprise: Surely magazines like Scientific American and New Scientist comes before those two! Focus magazine is also a good read!

7. Aug 21, 2004 #6

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hm, I like ScienceNews.. since it contains news. The two you mention are too popularized in my opinion. I think it is more interesting to have a subscription to something that is different from the field you're in: it broadens your perspective :biggrin:

8. Aug 21, 2004 #7
    I do agree that reading a magazine about a different field broadens your perspective but that's assuming you can make some decent sense of it. :rolleyes: I say that because the only sense 'The Economist' makes to me is 'nonsense'! But that's just me being undiversified!

9. Aug 21, 2004 #8

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I actually really like the Economist, since it is about global political issues: it's not a business magazine :wink: I think you should buy one sometime :smile:

10. Aug 21, 2004 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've never read The Economist, so don't know much about its content. I've had previous subscriptions to TIME, which I was rather disappointed with. The news was dry and the majority of the articles were fluff. Newsweek was okay. I don't think I ever read through a full copy (never had a subscription to that one). But, most magazines are like that for me, I find one or two articles of interest and then get tired of flipping through pages and pages of advertisements. I never had any interest in ones like Cosmo. I used to read ones like Scientific American, but then I realized they are just predigested versions of the same new findings that are published in Science. Once I was able to understand enough of the Science articles to read it cover to cover (when I was still a beginning grad student and had that sort of time in my life, I used to read it cover to cover every week...enjoyed learning about the variety of fields out there, even if I didn't fully understand everything in it), that was plenty enough. Other than that, I just subscribed to a local magazine that highlights events in the city where I live when I first moved here to learn more about the place I moved to. I ended that subscription too. So, no more piles of magazines collecting in my house just to be tossed to the recycle bin.

11. Aug 21, 2004 #10
    Well, I always got a kick out of the World Weekly News (such creative minds!).

12. Aug 21, 2004 #11

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I scan the Economist every week at the library. It's good, but very predjudiced in their own way. I get most of my news off the net.

13. Aug 21, 2004 #12
    My household used to have a subscription to TIME which I loved, but my dad canceled that. I'm too lazy and poor to get a subscription for myself now. I get National Geographic. It's not bad, once in a while it has some articles that I really enjoy.

14. Aug 21, 2004 #13

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The Economist ... yes, it certainly has its prejudices (and that put me off at first), but on the whole it's quite open about those prejudices (and the writing is good). I echo Moonbear's comment about TIME having rather too much fluff.

15. Aug 21, 2004 #14

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How is The Economist prejudiced?

16. Aug 21, 2004 #15

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

wired, national geographic and beadstyle...my husband loves the new yorker...

17. Aug 21, 2004 #16

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

ahh.. Boulderhead. You and I share a guilty pleasure! :biggrin:

The ongoing Osama and Saddam love saga was some of the finest "reporting" I've ever read.

18. Aug 21, 2004 #17
    There are tons of non-sleazy Men's magazines catering to men's interests. Esquire, GQ, Details..and probably some more I haven't heard of.

19. Aug 21, 2004 #18

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

'Economic rationalism rules, OK?' - markets know best, social goals must be addressed via good economics (e.g. legislating against child labour isn't likely to be a good way to go; bring in competition to education), ... this means they are somewhat right (cf left), generally have pretty harsh things to say about greens (they're not 'anti-environment' per se), and so on. They are also explicitly libertarian (I think that's the word), so their positions on some issues is definitely not mainstream (drugs, gay marriage, ...).

20. Aug 21, 2004 #19

plover

Homework Helper

:surprise: :rofl: :bugeye: :cry: that's ... errmmm ... uh ... unique ...

21. Aug 21, 2004 #20

plover

Homework Helper

Although I don't know if it is representative of their science policy as a whole, one indicator of their slant is that they are ardent supporters of Bjorn Lomborg (the 'Sceptical Environmentalist' guy).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?