Which magazine should I subscribe to?

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
In summary, the magazine 'Boulderhead' shares a guilty pleasure with the person writing this summary.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Which magazine do you have or would you like to have a subscription to? (not that I'm buying :wink:) I'm thinking about subscribing to The Economist and NewsWeek, something else I should consider?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd like a magazine for men that's like but not as sleazy as Maxim, but it doesn't exist. Here anyway. Women got hundreds of these magazines, but we don't have ONE. Really unfair.
Maybe it'll come soon.
What I mean is kinda like Cosmo but with men interests and viewpoint of course. So entertainment+clothers+genderal stuff+misc articles+science.

Last edited:
www.AskMen.com ? I'm not sure if such a magazine you describe doesn't exist, otherwise it could be a hole in the market :wink:

Monique said:
www.AskMen.com ? I'm not sure if such a magazine you describe doesn't exist, otherwise it could be a hole in the market :wink:

AskMen is better. But is it as a magazine too? Can't remember to see it here.
I'm not sure if such a magazine doesn't exist either, but I can't find one here.

Monique said:
Which magazine do you have or would you like to have a subscription to? (not that I'm buying :wink:) I'm thinking about subscribing to The Economist and NewsWeek, something else I should consider?

Economist? NewsWeek? :surprise: Surely magazines like Scientific American and New Scientist comes before those two! http://www.focusmag.co.uk/ [Broken] is also a good read!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hm, I like ScienceNews.. since it contains news. The two you mention are too popularized in my opinion. I think it is more interesting to have a subscription to something that is different from the field you're in: it broadens your perspective :biggrin:

Monique said:
Hm, I like ScienceNews.. since it contains news. The two you mention are too popularized in my opinion. I think it is more interesting to have a subscription to something that is different from the field you're in: it broadens your perspective :biggrin:

I do agree that reading a magazine about a different field broadens your perspective but that's assuming you can make some decent sense of it. :rolleyes: I say that because the only sense 'The Economist' makes to me is 'nonsense'! But that's just me being undiversified!

I actually really like the Economist, since it is about global political issues: it's not a business magazine :wink: I think you should buy one sometime :smile:

I've never read The Economist, so don't know much about its content. I've had previous subscriptions to TIME, which I was rather disappointed with. The news was dry and the majority of the articles were fluff. Newsweek was okay. I don't think I ever read through a full copy (never had a subscription to that one). But, most magazines are like that for me, I find one or two articles of interest and then get tired of flipping through pages and pages of advertisements. I never had any interest in ones like Cosmo. I used to read ones like Scientific American, but then I realized they are just predigested versions of the same new findings that are published in Science. Once I was able to understand enough of the Science articles to read it cover to cover (when I was still a beginning grad student and had that sort of time in my life, I used to read it cover to cover every week...enjoyed learning about the variety of fields out there, even if I didn't fully understand everything in it), that was plenty enough. Other than that, I just subscribed to a local magazine that highlights events in the city where I live when I first moved here to learn more about the place I moved to. I ended that subscription too. So, no more piles of magazines collecting in my house just to be tossed to the recycle bin.

Monique said:
...something else I should consider?
Well, I always got a kick out of the World Weekly News (such creative minds!).

I scan the Economist every week at the library. It's good, but very predjudiced in their own way. I get most of my news off the net.

My household used to have a subscription to TIME which I loved, but my dad canceled that. I'm too lazy and poor to get a subscription for myself now. I get National Geographic. It's not bad, once in a while it has some articles that I really enjoy.

The Economist ... yes, it certainly has its prejudices (and that put me off at first), but on the whole it's quite open about those prejudices (and the writing is good). I echo Moonbear's comment about TIME having rather too much fluff.

How is The Economist prejudiced?

wired, national geographic and beadstyle...my husband loves the new yorker...

BoulderHead said:
Well, I always got a kick out of the World Weekly News (such creative minds!).

ahh.. Boulderhead. You and I share a guilty pleasure! :biggrin:

The ongoing Osama and Saddam love saga was some of the finest "reporting" I've ever read.

pace said:
I'd like a magazine for men that's like but not as sleazy as Maxim, but it doesn't exist. Here anyway. Women got hundreds of these magazines, but we don't have ONE. Really unfair.
Maybe it'll come soon.
What I mean is kinda like Cosmo but with men interests and viewpoint of course. So entertainment+clothers+genderal stuff+misc articles+science.

There are tons of non-sleazy Men's magazines catering to men's interests. Esquire, GQ, Details..and probably some more I haven't heard of.

Monique said:
How is The Economist prejudiced?
'Economic rationalism rules, OK?' - markets know best, social goals must be addressed via good economics (e.g. legislating against child labour isn't likely to be a good way to go; bring in competition to education), ... this means they are somewhat right (cf left), generally have pretty harsh things to say about greens (they're not 'anti-environment' per se), and so on. They are also explicitly libertarian (I think that's the word), so their positions on some issues is definitely not mainstream (drugs, gay marriage, ...).

Math Is Hard said:
The ongoing Osama and Saddam love saga was some of the finest "reporting" I've ever read.
:surprise: :rofl: :bugeye: :cry: that's ... errmmm ... uh ... unique ...

Nereid said:
[The Economist] generally [has] pretty harsh things to say about greens (they're not 'anti-environment' per se)
Although I don't know if it is representative of their science policy as a whole, one indicator of their slant is that they are ardent supporters of Bjorn Lomborg (the 'Sceptical Environmentalist' guy).

Math Is Hard said:
Was that the one that showed the picture of Saddam dressed in a tutu, or was that Star magazine? (I love standing at the grocery store checkout line.)

Math Is Hard said:
ahh.. Boulderhead. You and I share a guilty pleasure! :biggrin:

Oh, if only I could have landed a job as a reporter on that 'dream team'... :rofl:

Scientific American appears to have dumbed-down recently in an effort to popularize. They recycle ideas and authors (e. g., in cosmology articles) excessively. I find a select number of quantum mechanics articles in Physics Today well presented. I haven't read New Scientist of late, but remember being impressed with its panoply of intelligent reporting.

Evo said:
Was that the one that showed the picture of Saddam dressed in a tutu, or was that Star magazine? (I love standing at the grocery store checkout line.)
That sounds like the WWN, for sure! I am sure sorry I missed the week that featured Saddam in a tutu. :rofl:

I have to purchase an edition every now and then when they have one of those World's Fattest Cat cover stories. :smile:

As far as real magazines go, the only one I subscribe to is Wired.

The Economist and NewsWeek, something else I should consider?

TIME and Entertainment Weekly!

Maybe Technology or PCWorld if you're into computers/technology.

Sports Illustrated.

I'd like a magazine for men that's like but not as sleazy as Maxim, but it doesn't exist. Here anyway.

Sports Illustrated.

There are tons of non-sleazy Men's magazines catering to men's interests. Esquire, GQ, Details..and probably some more I haven't heard of.

GQ? Non-Sleazy?

That's just as big of a skank rag as Maxim.

If you have to buy the magazine wearing sunglasses and a hat, it's sleazy.

I prefer more news from papers such as Montreal Gazette as opposed to magazines.

It's just too much body/female/sport focusation in sports illustrated, and I want a more mindly and I don't like sports much, it's like Mens Health.
I'd want more relationship stuff, entertainment(that's going to be there no matter what), and science.
And yeah GQ is sleazy, bleh. alcohol nude women alcohol nude women alcohol nude women alcohol :rolleyes:

I don't drink alcohol and I don't meet a lot of nude women damnit! lol

Last edited:
pace said:
I don't drink alcohol and I don't meet a lot of nude women damnit! lol

Maybe it's time to get off the computer

Maybe I just don't like alcohol much :p And Maybe I care more about women than for them just being nude ;)

pace said:
Maybe I just don't like alcohol much :p And Maybe I care more about women than for them just being nude ;)

If you don't think you don't like alcohol, it might just be that you haven't drunk enough of it yet!

I read the Reader's Digest (boring! but our English teacher has made it a mandatory reading material), National Geographic, Scientific American, New Scientist, Harvard Business Review(fun!), Fortune and Newsweek. I scan the Economist and PC Magazine.