Your favorite political rival

1. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,520
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Of those on the opposite side of the aisle, or those who generally oppose/support legislation that you support/oppose, whom do you respect the most, and why?

This idea came to mind as I watched John Boehner - Republican Congressman and minority leader - on television, this morning. A little over a year ago, back when I saw his impassioned plea to Congress in support of the bank bailout, I did a complete 180 when it comes to my perception of Boehner. I know that it took the highest degree of dedication to the common good, to abandon his ideology and support the bailout bill. While Boehner and I generally disagree, it is clear to me that, right or wrong, he is fighting the good fight. I have to respect that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVOS1CC6V5I

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. I like him too. His speech last night before the votes were cast in the house for the bill was full of fire and brimstone, and I really enjoyed it.

That person for me would have to be Nancy Pelosi. Regardless of the fact that she looks like the anti-christ and her voice annoys the heck out of me, I still respect her for what she has done as Madame Speaker.

4. I respect Al Gore for his skills as a fear monger. Well done, Mr. Vice President.

5. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,520
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So you are unable to make an appropriate post? Too bad.

6. He's not exactly a rival if he agrees with you, now is he? Did the bank bailouts work? It didn't unfreeze the credit markets like they said it would, and now the banks know forever that the citizens will be the lender of last resort. That just creates a moral hazard, which precipitates a cycle that will lead to another banking crisis down the road.

The job of a bank is to manage risk. And they did manage risk. They thought the politicians would bail them out and they were right. They were successful in offloading the risk to the taxpayer!

7. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,520
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As I said, we generally disagree. You might try reading the post.

Yes. We did stop the collapse of the national and global financial systems. We are not in the middle of the next great depression.

8. Just logically speaking, it's not a true rivalry.

It's impossible to disprove a negative, and besides the jury on the depression is still out. We're not exactly in the midst of a sunshine and lollipops recovery.

9. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,520
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you wish to play word games, so be it, but I am telling you that I saw him as a political rival. I know that it had to be terribly difficult for him to abandon the free-market philosophy for the good of the country - eating a mud sandwich, as he called it. Before that I believed him to be a pure ideologue.

The recession IS officially over. And yes, you cannot prove that the bailout did nothing. We can only judge the situation by the leading indicators, which have all turned around. The hemorrhaging of the financial system also stopped after the bailout.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  10. So Ivan, are you saying the fundamentals of the economy are strong then?

11. I approve this message.

Did you know that Al Gore invented the internet, television, and magazines?

12. turbo

turbo 7,366
    Gold Member

I detest Mitch McConnell, but I am in whole-hearted agreement with his tactics. He demanded NO health care reform and by refusing to participate in the process, he lost his chance to force changes that the GOP could have supported. He will try to weaken financial reforms if he can't obstruct them outright. [irony]Given the great love that most US citizens have for the financial institutions that plunged our economy into the tank [/irony], GOP obstructionism on that front could result in even larger Democratic majorities in Congress.

In his Ahab-like fixation on denying Obama any achievements, McConnell is sowing the seeds for the destruction of his own party. It may be best that the GOP loses some ideologues, if that opens the door for rational conservative candidates in the future.

The Democrats have majorities in both chambers and should immediately draft and pass legislation negating the ill-conceived SCOTUS decision that allows unlimited corporate money in our campaigns. If the GOP obstructs that, the Dems should hang that albatross around their necks this fall. The trouble is, they don't have the spine to do it.

13. Al Gore is a good choice. Did anyone hear the joke Bill Clinton told about Al Gore's global warming crusade?

14. My god, you don't even understand the separations of powers, do you? How sad.

15. turbo

turbo 7,366
    Gold Member

You are the one that does not understand. The Congress has the right and the responsibility to legislate and they can pass legislation that negates activist court decisions. If that legislation encounters legal challenge, the courts get to take it up. That's how separation of powers works. In this case, the right-wing justices legislated from the bench to give corporations unprecedented influence in our elections.

The job facing the Democrats is to make the law simple and unassailable by Constitutional challenge.

16. First of all, you're just getting way off topic for the hell of it. Second of all, everyone has the right to free speech, corporations too. Third of all, who the hell are you to tell someone else how they can spend their money? Fourth of all, the legislature has no ability to repeal Supreme Court decisions, lol. But a supreme court decision can repeal legislation.

17. Fifth of all, Obama was for campaign finance reform before he was against it.

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2008/10/prominent_dem_slams_obamas_cam.html

18. turbo

turbo 7,366
    Gold Member

I'm off topic? Please take a civics course. The Congress can pass legislation that effectively negates the overly-broad definition of "personhood" that the court handed to corporations. That's their right. If there are legal challenges to that law, the judiciary gets to evaluate the law. That's the way separation of powers works.

All the while W and Shooter were decrying liberal activism on the SC that would "legislate from the bench", they were building a right-wing activist majority that would do exactly that.

19. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,520
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The purpose of this thread is to name a rival whom you respect. If you aren't mature enough or sophisticated enough to do that, then please stop posting in this thread.

20. turbo

turbo 7,366
    Gold Member

So McConnell doesn't get all the credit (on my part), I rarely agree with Olympia Snowe on most issues. I am glad that she chose to participate in crafting the health-care bill in committee, even though her main intent was to make sure that the public option (which I favor) was eliminated. She took a lot of heat from the GOP, while our other senator, Susan Collins, kept her head down. Maine is a very rural state with a high percentage of low-income citizens, many of whom have part-time and/or seasonal jobs and NO health insurance. Our state would benefit disproportionately from expanded health-care coverage. Thanks Snowe, thanks for nothing Collins.

21. I could be wrong, but doesn't the Supreme Court interpret the Constitution? Do you really think that the legislature passing a law on what it views the definition of a person to be would make the difference? I don't.

I'm going to go with Al Gore as well as my rival as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?