Who is the most respected political rival across party lines and why?

• News
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, John Boehner is a respected politician who is fighting for the common good. Nancy Pelosi is also respected for her work in Congress. Al Gore is a skilled fearmonger and I approve of his messages.
BTW, for and Dems who believe it's a vain exercise to find class in the other camp, try this:
http://politicalwire.com/archives/2009/12/18/an_unlikely_friendship.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
mheslep said:
I don't know about rival. He's a member of the President's cabinet, so I expected that qualified him for the thread, and I wanted to point out a couple who I admire in the administration, given my intense criticism of many of the rest.

The sad thing about Gates is that he desperately wants to get out - he hates the job! - but he knows he is needed. Nothing desparaging to say about Obama at all, the job is just terribly difficult professionally as well as personally and emotionally. I suspect the reason that we both like Gates is what causes him so much personal grief: He is deadly serious about what he does.

Ivan Seeking said:
The sad thing about Gates is that he desperately wants to get out - he hates the job! - but he knows he is needed. Nothing desparaging to say about Obama at all, the job is just terribly difficult professionally as well as personally and emotionally. I suspect the reason that we both like Gates is what causes him so much personal grief: He is deadly serious about what he does.
I had not heard he wanted to leave, though I expect nobody wants that job long with one and half wars ongoing.

Ivan Seeking said:
Of those on the opposite side of the aisle, or those who generally oppose/support legislation that you support/oppose, whom do you respect the most, and why?

This idea came to mind as I watched John Boehner - Republican Congressman and minority leader - on television, this morning. A little over a year ago, back when I saw his impassioned plea to Congress in support of the bank bailout, I did a complete 180 when it comes to my perception of Boehner. I know that it took the highest degree of dedication to the common good, to abandon his ideology and support the bailout bill. While Boehner and I generally disagree, it is clear to me that, right or wrong, he is fighting the good fight. I have to respect that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVOS1CC6V5I

Congratulations to our presumed new Speaker of the House.

Ivan Seeking said:
Congratulations to our presumed new Speaker of the House.

Meh.

Last night as he took the podium, I though oh I'm going to go to bed before the waterworks start. Sure enough, by the time I got the coffee ready to go for the morning, he was bawling.

But if getting the House is what it takes for the Reps to stop being mulish and start actually governing, so be it. I'll give them a couple years and make my judgement then.

lisab said:
Meh.

Last night as he took the podium, I though oh I'm going to go to bed before the waterworks start. Sure enough, by the time I got the coffee ready to go for the morning, he was bawling.

But if getting the House is what it takes for the Reps to stop being mulish and start actually governing, so be it. I'll give them a couple years and make my judgement then.

He did stand up for the country and didn't placate the extremists, when it counted. And yes, he does cry a lot! It is pretty clear that he also drinks a lot. I'm pretty sure I've seen him drunk when interviewed on the news.

This I think will be the real test. Will he focus on legislation, or will he sell out and start issuing subpoenas?

Or, will he posture and focus on legislation that has no hope of passage in the Senate?

Last edited:
Boehner has already said in recent remarks that the House would be more open and transparent under GOP leadership, but that doesn't mean it would be bi-partisan. It may be time for pay-back against perceived slights.

It's payback time!

Or is it?

I think Boehner will respect the wishes of the American people and work forward, not for payback.

Char. Limit said:
It's payback time!

Or is it?

I think Boehner will respect the wishes of the American people and work forward, not for payback.

Well, we can all hope o:)

Mine would be Joe Biden. One of the few East (or West) coast Dems I like.

I could include Ken Salazar, Bill Richardson, Ben Nelson, but I've never had much problem with Midwestern-Western Dems.

I had always had a fondness for William F. Buckley's ideas. My father was not really happy when I supported Goldwater, et al starting back in the '60s since his family had always been the working poor. By the time the neo-cons got a strangle-hold on the GOP, I refused to register as a Republican and went Independent and only voted on candidates and issues, not parties, and the old man calmed down a bit. Still, until Buckley died, I found more wisdom and thought in his positions than those of "commentators" and "pundits" that have gotten heavy press for the last couple of decades. In this case, Buckley was at no time a political rival, so maybe I can't sneak him in here, but I've got to say that Greenspan, Bernanke, Geithner, and other insiders who spend their careers transferring more and more wealth to the wealthy have earned my undying contempt.

Ivan Seeking said:
Of those on the opposite side of the aisle, or those who generally oppose/support legislation that you support/oppose, whom do you respect the most, and why?

Even though he's a Democrat (and I'm not), I'd have to say John Glenn. Too bad hasn't been in office since 1999...