Your favorite sandwich

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
home made multigrain bread with a light spread of cream cheese, kielbassa (thick), swiss cheese, sliced apples, lettuce, red pepper, tomato and my own salad dressing (olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, basil, lime juice, brown sugar and just a touch of cayenne)

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I LOVE CANNED SARDINES WITH MUSTARD.

They need a strong cheese like swiss.

Don't knock it untill you've tried it. My first husband loved these so much, he started making them all of the time. And he didn't like canned sardines. Oh, and a drizzle of home made ranch dressing is devine.
That sounds really good to me.

Danger

Gold Member
home made multigrain bread with a light spread of cream cheese, kielbassa (thick), swiss cheese, sliced apples, lettuce, red pepper, tomato and my own salad dressing (olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, basil, lime juice, brown sugar and just a touch of cayenne)
Congatulations! You've just joined Evo in my 'people that I will decline a supper invitation from' club.

Nothing beats a good ploughmans..except maybe a BLT made with good bacon and a touch of mayo.

Congatulations! You've just joined Evo in my 'people that I will decline a supper invitation from' club.
oh well that's good because you aren't invited to the dinner party that Evo and I are planning.

Danger

Gold Member
oh well that's good because you aren't invited to the dinner party that Evo and I are planning.
You call it a dinner party; I'd call it a survival test.

we'll see whos still surviving in 20 years after all that beef

Evo

Mentor

Danger

Gold Member
we'll see whos still surviving in 20 years after all that beef
We would have to establish initial parameters for that. You come across as being pretty young, which would make your long-term survival more likely than mine. I've been eating nothing but meat for most of my life. In 20 years I'll be 72, if my pulmonary emphysemia doesn't do me in first. How about you?

Danger

Gold Member
YEAH!!! You tell him!!!

fileen=my new BFF
Tell me again why I love you... :confused:

Oh, never mind. I remember. It's the tits...

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
That sounds yummy. It reminds me of a sandwich I had the other day, thinly sliced roast beef on a melt in your mouth ciabatta bread with black olives, provolone, onions, tomatoes and a garlicy sauce. Not quite worth the $6 I paid for it (it was a tiny sandwich), but tasty.
Add pepperoncinis and jalapeños and that would be a perfect sandwich.

I like tuna salad, curried egg salad, and sardine or mackerel sandwiches. I ate those as a kid.

My mom made a pickled tomato and cumcumber salad sandwhich with spinach or lettue that was good during the summer, and one do a variation with pickled beets.

Reubens with corn beef or pastrami, sauerkraut and Russian or ranch dressing are good. I like pastrami, swiss/provolone on rye with fixins - lettuce, tomato and black olives.

Philly steak sandwiches are good.

A local shop does a great sausage with roasted peppers and onion, which I like.

And then there is good ol' bbq sandwich.

A basic Vegemite sandwich with swiss or provolone - and toasted does nicely in pinch.

Evo

Mentor
We would have to establish initial parameters for that. You come across as being pretty young, which would make your long-term survival more likely than mine. I've been eating nothing but meat for most of my life. In 20 years I'll be 72, if my pulmonary emphysemia doesn't do me in first. How about you?
Well, I'm older than dirt, but I'll probably outlive everyone here. I'll just look funny from all of the broken bones.

Danger, don't remind me that you're not well. :cry:

<shoves healthy sardine sandwich into Danger's computer>

My very favorite is thinly shaved roast beef, raw sweet onions, jalapenos with a strong mustard on a really crusty bread.

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Sounds good. Is there a recipe (proportions for the dressing or does one used standard proportions for a oil and vinegar dressing with appropriate pinches and smidgeons (or smidgins) to taste?

Evo's sardine, mustard and cheese sandwich sounds interesting. I've never been keen on mustard and sardines. I thought that a bit odd, until I walked in to a real smorgasbord in Sweden, and they had more than two dozen ways to prepare fish, and mustard was one of the selections. So as fish goes, nothing surprises me anymore.

Evo

Mentor
Canned sardines in the US usually come three ways, plain, in tomato sauce, and mustard. My favorite is mustard sauce, it's very mild and doesn't taste like mustard at all, it's just a bit acidic and seems to get rid of the fishy taste, tomato is my second favorite, but lets more of the fishy taste through.

Danger

Gold Member
Danger, don't remind me that you're not well. :cry:
Don't worry about it, Sweetie. I'll never leave while you're around, regardless of the situation. :wink:

Italian hoagie from Philly. No where else. Hoagie is the official sandwich of the city, NOT the cheesesteak.

Like jimmy said, you can't get bread anywhere else like the bread that they make in philly, probably because of the Schuylkill punch.

Best italialn hoagie is from my neighborhood shop Lenny's. Italian hoagie consits of a homemade roll that is covered in toasted seasame seeds. Fresh romaine lettuce (not that shredded iceberg lettuce crap). Sharp provolone. Sopressatta, coppa, Proscuitto, Genoa Salami, Mortadella, and freshly cut up tomatoes. Long hots, oil, and oregano to top it off.

in 20 years Ill be 41. I am sorry to hear you have pulmonary emphysemia. Way to make me feel bad, this is not easily done. I hope I dont suffer any thing like that at 41. I am an extremely healthy person but its because Im obsessive about it. I plan my meals, eat all whole grains and raw veggies. I take my multivitamins and avoid red meat. In the summer I am at the farm all day and I have been known to forget to eat and pass out on horseback. I am also addicted to chocolate and candy. Sugar, cheese and red wine will be my downfall. That and the fact that during the school year I sit in a desk studying all day and all night and the only breaks I have I spend on pf.

Sounds good. Is there a recipe (proportions for the dressing or does one used standard proportions for a oil and vinegar dressing with appropriate pinches and smidgeons (or smidgins) to taste?

Evo's sardine, mustard and cheese sandwich sounds interesting. I've never been keen on mustard and sardines. I thought that a bit odd, until I walked in to a real smorgasbord in Sweden, and they had more than two dozen ways to prepare fish, and mustard was one of the selections. So as fish goes, nothing surprises me anymore.
I dont really have a recipe, I love to cook and make up all sorts of my own little recipes. I do use that sauce in its various forms for all sorts of things. Ive even been known to stir fry my salmon in it. I would suggest playing around until you get it just right for you

Evo

Mentor
I dont really have a recipe, I love to cook and make up all sorts of my own little recipes. I do use that sauce in its various forms for all sorts of things. Ive even been known to stir fry my salmon in it. I would suggest playing around until you get it just right for you
Sounds like a great basic recipe.

I love cheese steaks. I like them with bellpeppers, mushrooms, and pizza sauce! Mmmmmmm....

And Danger, by an interesting coincidence my lady friend just told me about a peanut butter maker you may like...
http://www.pbloco.com/
They have Curry Peanut Butter!

Danger

Gold Member
in 20 years Ill be 41. I am sorry to hear you have pulmonary emphysemia. Way to make me feel bad, this is not easily done. I hope I dont suffer any thing like that at 41. I am an extremely healthy person but its because Im obsessive about it. I plan my meals, eat all whole grains and raw veggies. I take my multivitamins and avoid red meat. In the summer I am at the farm all day and I have been known to forget to eat and pass out on horseback. I am also addicted to chocolate and candy. Sugar, cheese and red wine will be my downfall. That and the fact that during the school year I sit in a desk studying all day and all night and the only breaks I have I spend on pf.
Certainly no intention to make you feel bad. It's my own fault, for smoking almost 2 packs a day since I was 15. I'm down to about a pack a week if I'm not drinking (:rolleyes:), but more realistically double that.
I'm more concerned about you, though. Your info suggests that you might be diabetic. Have you had a glucose tolerance test?

edit: Sorry, Stats... I didn't see your post until after I logged this one in. Cool link. Gotta tell you, though... I hate curry. The heat is no problem, but the taste is just disgusting. I appreciate the link, however, since it might help me to arm against my enemies... :biggrin:

Last edited:

wolram

Gold Member
Italian hoagie from Philly. No where else. Hoagie is the official sandwich of the city, NOT the cheesesteak.

Like jimmy said, you can't get bread anywhere else like the bread that they make in philly, probably because of the Schuylkill punch.

Best italialn hoagie is from my neighborhood shop Lenny's. Italian hoagie consits of a homemade roll that is covered in toasted seasame seeds. Fresh romaine lettuce (not that shredded iceberg lettuce crap). Sharp provolone. Sopressatta, coppa, Proscuitto, Genoa Salami, Mortadella, and freshly cut up tomatoes. Long hots, oil, and oregano to top it off.
This sounds like a 24 hr sandwich, 23hr 55mins to find out what the heck all that stuff is and 5 mins to make it.
:smile:

There's this fancy-schmancy deli near where I used to work that would make the most amazing sandwich: on a fairly dense loaf about halfway between Italian bread and a baguette - but with sesame seeds - they would put cold breaded eggplant cutlets, fresh mozzarella, prosciutto, and pickled red peppers (bell peppers, not hot ones).

It was seriously dangerous, I had to stay away from the place. They'd have a special where they'd make a super-large sandwich out of an entire loaf of the bread. I'd pick one up on the way home from work figuring - "Sweet deal! I've got dinner tonight and lunch for two days!" - but the whole thing would be gone before 2am or 3am.
⚛

I'd have to say... Heidi Montag and Charlize Theron.

:biggrin: