Your favorite sandwich

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
wolram
Gold Member
I'd have to say... Heidi Montag and Charlize Theron.

:biggrin:
Hmmm, tasty, but i would put them between two pieces of silk and keep them for stock :smile:

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Canned sardines in the US usually come three ways, plain, in tomato sauce, and mustard. My favorite is mustard sauce, it's very mild and doesn't taste like mustard at all, it's just a bit acidic and seems to get rid of the fishy taste, tomato is my second favorite, but lets more of the fishy taste through.
I noticed the plain, mustard and tomato. Vinegar or lemon juice (acids) reduce the fishy taste, but I like the fishy taste.

When I was a kid, we ate a lot of fish because it was not as expensive as beef or chicken. But then fish became quite expensive.

In grade school (4-6), I quite often ate sardine sandwiches for lunch. The only other kid who didn't mind was Niels Wolfhagen - he came from Denmark. The other kids thought sardines were gross and smelly.

Give me a pastrami sandwich about 6 inches thick with cheese and a good mustard and I'm in heaven. Corned beef can be substituted for the pastrami or even better half corned beef, half pastrami. Maybe throw some thinly sliced red onion on there. Once when I was in my teens I worked at sub shop. We were supposed to put something like 2oz of meat on each sandwich, I don't remember exactly what the weight was. the company sent in some spies and after I made them a sandwich they took out a scale and weighed everything to see how I had done. I had something like 4times the amount of meat I was supposed to so they fired me. It was a good sandwich though.

DaveC426913
Gold Member
Baguette or garlic clove bread, cut into 1/2" rounds
smeared with stinky Gorgonzola cheese
piled with extra-thin, almost shaved rare Angus roast beef
lavishly sprinkled with cracked black pepper and salt
served open-face

is stinky cheese really good? I've never eaten any really stinky cheese. Is it an acquired taste?

wolram
Gold Member
is stinky cheese really good? I've never eaten any really stinky cheese. Is it an acquired taste?

Stinky cheese is the best, and it is an aquired taste, but once you have the taste other cheeses are just bland.

wolram
Gold Member
Baguette or garlic clove bread, cut into 1/2" rounds
smeared with stinky Gorgonzola cheese
piled with extra-thin, almost shaved rare Angus roast beef
lavishly sprinkled with cracked black pepper and salt
served open-face
Mmmmm, i can just taste it.

how do you acquire a taste for something that makes you want to vomit the first time you taste it? and second why do you want to acquire a taste for something that makes you want to vomit the first time you taste it?

turbo
Gold Member
A big slice of nice, tender beef from my New England boiled dinner (has vegetable flavors in the beef - onion, garlic, cabbage, turnip...) with strong, sharp Vermont cheddar, Farmer's brand beer mustard with horseradish and one of my chili relishes on home-made onion rye bread.

Evo
Mentor
how do you acquire a taste for something that makes you want to vomit the first time you taste it? and second why do you want to acquire a taste for something that makes you want to vomit the first time you taste it?
This is from a man that would set his toenails on fire just to see if he could do it?

but you don't see me eating the toasted clippings do you?

Evo
Mentor
but you don't see me eating the toasted clippings do you?
But you would. :biggrin:

it is an acquired taste

wolram
Gold Member
Stinky cheese has nothing on boiled ham, the devil must have invented that ungent
parody of food.

Certainly no intention to make you feel bad. It's my own fault, for smoking almost 2 packs a day since I was 15. I'm down to about a pack a week if I'm not drinking (:rolleyes:), but more realistically double that.
I'm more concerned about you, though. Your info suggests that you might be diabetic. Have you had a glucose tolerance test?

edit: Sorry, Stats... I didn't see your post until after I logged this one in. Cool link. Gotta tell you, though... I hate curry. The heat is no problem, but the taste is just disgusting. I appreciate the link, however, since it might help me to arm against my enemies... :biggrin:
I am not diabetic. I eat raw veggies because I dont like them cooked, I avoid simple carbs because they make me fat, and I avoid red meat because I like cows, horses and pigs, but I find edible birds to be really offensive animals and I dont mind eating them. Ever looked a chicken in the eye? Dont look a turkey in the eye, theyre so dumb they just drop dead. I dont know why I love candy so much, probably because its delicious and I was not allowed to have it until I was about 10 years old. I grew up on red wine and its just a yummy habit I dont really want to break. Im stupidly healthy even though I have a rough history. I suffer from depression and I cant eat when I get really down. I havent been that sick in years though, and although I did abuse drugs and alcohol for a few years, I havent been involved in that sort of life style in a long time. I have problems with my blood pressure being too low, and if it gets bad I tend to get uncoordinated and even walk into things. In those situations I eat some salty french fries and go to bed. I usually wake up feeling better. Doc says short of corrective meds theres not much I can do. I like to avoid medicating for things that arent life threatening or stopping me from living a functional life.

my favorite sandwich of all time is:

a fat *****.. from the grease trucks at rutgers. it contains: cheese steak, mozzarella sticks, chicken fingers, french fries, ketchup and lettuce. pure win!

I really like ham, swiss cheese, lettuce, and tomato on a ciabatta bun. Another good one I make sometimes is a steak sandwich topped with swiss cheese and a sauteed portabella mushroom. Yummy!

GCT
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
my favorite sandwich of all time is:

a fat *****.. from the grease trucks at rutgers. it contains: cheese steak, mozzarella sticks, chicken fingers, french fries, ketchup and lettuce. pure win!
Yes.

I really like ham, swiss cheese, lettuce, and tomato on a ciabatta bun. Another good one I make sometimes is a steak sandwich topped with swiss cheese and a sauteed portabella mushroom. Yummy!
Yes

The best sandwich ever is my melted sardine sandwich.

Slices of homemade bread topped with canned sardines in mustard sauce, add a layer of swiss cheese and run under the broiler until the cheese is all melted and bubbly. OMG, this is the best thing I've ever created IMO.
Hmm ... never heard of this one before. I have heard of fish sandwiches being popular in some European nations.

Mine is, white crusty bread spread with salted butter, and layered with crispy bacon, strong cheese, lettuce and salad cream.
Must be a British thing.

Mine is corn beef sandwich , the kind that they have at Jason's Deli , and the Cuban ... I used to have this everyday for lunch - found it to be a good alternative to Taco Bell.

The best sandwich ever is my melted sardine sandwich.

Slices of homemade bread topped with canned sardines in mustard sauce, add a layer of swiss cheese and run under the broiler until the cheese is all melted and bubbly. OMG, this is the best thing I've ever created IMO.
Since this is what the mentors eat I went to the store and bought the ingredients. I'm going to trust in Evo. Tell my mom I love her.

Okay I ate it. You know what? Its not the best sandwich I've ever had, BUT it was good. What really suprised me was that it was cheaper than a can of tuna fish, had more flavor than tuna fish and was a lot more solid than tuna fish. the only problem I'm running into is every time I burp I taste it all over again and its been almost two hours now

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Okay I ate it. You know what? Its not the best sandwich I've ever had, BUT it was good. What really suprised me was that it was cheaper than a can of tuna fish, had more flavor than tuna fish and was a lot more solid than tuna fish. the only problem I'm running into is every time I burp I taste it all over again and its been almost two hours now
Bet there's a herd of kitties outside your door...

wolram
Gold Member
Kipper and cucumber sarnies are nice, but you can taste them for ages too.

Stop it. This thread is making me hungry. I think I'll just have all of these sandwiches at once.

turbo
Gold Member
Kipper and cucumber sarnies are nice, but you can taste them for ages too.
Fatal combo! Gas (burps) from the cucumbers bring the kipper taste back up again and again.

wolram
Gold Member
The Christmas sarnie.

Turkey
chipolata's
crispy bacon
lettuce
cranberry jelly.
squash between two rounds of buttered bread.