My Favorite Sandwich: White Crusty Bread + Bacon

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary: I won't argue the point; you're probably right. Well, you're not right about me not liking it, but you are about it being different. Up here, they're made with real pot roast, not that processed pot roast stuff. So they're a lot tastier.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Mine is, white crusty bread spread with salted butter, and layered with crispy bacon, strong cheese, lettuce and salad cream.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is salad cream?

I like lots of kinds, although I don't eat them very often. I guess that my favourite is ham. I like to saw about a 1cm-thick slab off of a real ham (not that sandwich ham crap), and throw on some seasoning salt.
I do have the perfect peanut-butter sandwich, though. It's an emergency thing, since I don't really consider anything without meat to be food. Buttered bread (all of my sandwiches are buttered), with as much smooth peanut butter as I can fit on it. Then pile on chili powder, just enough that I can't see the peanut butter under it. Then salt until I can't see the chili powder. Perfection! :tongue2:

Danger said:
I do have the perfect peanut-butter sandwich, though. It's an emergency thing, since I don't really consider anything without meat to be food. Buttered bread (all of my sandwiches are buttered), with as much smooth peanut butter as I can fit on it. Then pile on chili powder, just enough that I can't see the peanut butter under it. Then salt until I can't see the chili powder. Perfection! :tongue2:
:eek:

Evo said:
What is salad cream?

Heinz salad cream, it comes in a bottle is a yellowish semi liquid.

Danger said:
I like lots of kinds, although I don't eat them very often. I guess that my favourite is ham. I like to saw about a 1cm-thick slab off of a real ham (not that sandwich ham crap), and throw on some seasoning salt.

I hate peanut butter and very salty food.

wolram said:
Heinz salad cream, it comes in a bottle is a yellowish semi liquid.
Ah, I just looked it up, it's a British thing. Thin yellow mayonaise.

Evo said:
Ah, I just looked it up, it's a British thing. Thin yellow mayonaise.

It is the bees knees of sauces along with daddies brown sauce.

whole meat bread, first a layer of tuna salad (w/mayonaise, a bit mustard, green onions and pepperonici), topped with cherry tomatoes, a few onion rings and green olives. No sauce, don't want to kill the flavors.

wolram said:
It is the bees knees of sauces along with daddies brown sauce.
Oh my, I just looked up a description of daddies brown sauce and the description was "brown sauce". :uhh:

I guess it would go well on Andre's "whole meat bread". :tongue2:

Evo said:
Oh my, I just looked up a description of daddies brown sauce and the description was "brown sauce". :uhh:

I guess it would go well on Andre's "whole meat bread". :tongue2:

Awww, you poor American people do not have daddies brown sauce? how cruel.

Evo said:
:eek:

What are you on about? Don't like butter?

Andre said:
whole meat bread, first a layer of tuna salad (w/mayonaise, a bit mustard, green onions and pepperonici), topped with cherry tomatoes, a few onion rings and green olives. No sauce, don't want to kill the flavors.
That sounds yummy. It reminds me of a sandwich I had the other day, thinly sliced roast beef on a melt in your mouth ciabatta bread with black olives, provolone, onions, tomatoes and a garlicy sauce. Not quite worth the $6 I paid for it (it was a tiny sandwich), but tasty.

Last edited:
Oh, and if they count as sandwiches... Philly cheese steaks. Of course, ours are made with Alberta beef, so they're infinitely superior to the original. :biggrin:

I don't know if it qualifies as a sandwich, but I like a poppyseed bagel with cream cheese and lox.

If not, then an Italian hoagie, or cheesesteak. Don't be fooled by 'Philadelphia style' anything. Come to Philadelphia and get the actual sandwich. The sandwich rolls they use elsewhere are a travesty.

Edit: Sorry Danger if you are not from Philly, then you are being cheated. It so, then the worst of it is, you probably won't like the real thing because you are used to inferior bread.

This is the king of sarnies ,

Granary bread, salted butter, tubo's chili relish, 1/8 inch thick pot roast slice of beef, slices of poached pear and celery.

jimmysnyder said:
you probably won't like the real thing because you are used to inferior bread.

I won't argue the point; you're probably right. Well, you're not right about me not liking it, but you are about it being different. Up here, they're made with bread that is similar to very large hot-dog buns. Being a strict carnivor, however, makes that irrelevant to me. It's all about the beef. (And onions, and cheese, and au jous, and tons of salt.)
Really, we don't advertise anything as a Philly cheese steak. What we have is essentially a beef-dip with cheese and onions. Love 'em, though.

The best sandwich ever is my melted sardine sandwich.

Slices of homemade bread topped with canned sardines in mustard sauce, add a layer of swiss cheese and run under the broiler until the cheese is all melted and bubbly. OMG, this is the best thing I've ever created IMO.

Danger said:
Up here, they're made with bread that is similar to very large hot-dog buns.
:yuck: At least they don't even try. Let me know when you're in the area. We'll eat like poor kings and boo Santa Clause if we see him.

Evo said:
The best sandwich ever is my melted sardine sandwich.

Slices of homemade bread topped with canned sardines in mustard sauce, add a layer of swiss cheese and run under the broiler until the cheese is all melted and bubbly. OMG, this is the best thing I've ever created IMO.

Gawd, my belly just done a back flip, SARDINES with chees and mustard? and Swiss cheese that that plastic toy stuff.

Evo said:

You 'eeked' me for a perfect peanut butter sandwich, and then come up with a travesty like this? That concoction of yours would gag a maggot. :yuck:

Jimmy, I am unfortunately no longer allowed in your country. Maybe you could mail me one?

I LOVE CANNED SARDINES WITH MUSTARD.

They need a strong cheese like swiss.

Don't knock it until you've tried it. My first husband loved these so much, he started making them all of the time. And he didn't like canned sardines. Oh, and a drizzle of home made ranch dressing is devine.

Evo said:

Don't knock it until you've tried it. My first husband loved these so much, he started making them all of the time. And he didn't like canned sardines. Oh, and a drizzle of home made ranch dressing is devine.

Well bless your tummy, i did have sardines in a sarnie one time, but they were fried crispy,
floured and deep fried i think.
Thinking about it they would go well with my special chips (french fries) i boil them first then fry them, maybe with balsamic vinegar and sea salt.

Evo said:

Blecch :yuck: I'd just as soon have bologna on raisin bread.

But truly, in recent years my favorite has been the pepperoni sub, with the usual assortment of veggies. At times when I'm ill and don't feel like eating anything else, I can still have one of those and not go hungry.

Redbelly98 said:
Blecch :yuck: I'd just as soon have bologna on raisin bread.

I'd far rather have that. In fact, I'd rather have pepperoni and marmalade on sourdough than that sardine ****. :yuck:

home made multigrain bread with a light spread of cream cheese, kielbassa (thick), swiss cheese, sliced apples, lettuce, red pepper, tomato and my own salad dressing (olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, basil, lime juice, brown sugar and just a touch of cayenne)

Evo said:

That sounds really good to me.

fileen said:
home made multigrain bread with a light spread of cream cheese, kielbassa (thick), swiss cheese, sliced apples, lettuce, red pepper, tomato and my own salad dressing (olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, basil, lime juice, brown sugar and just a touch of cayenne)

Congatulations! You've just joined Evo in my 'people that I will decline a supper invitation from' club.

Nothing beats a good ploughmans..except maybe a BLT made with good bacon and a touch of mayo.

Danger said:
Congatulations! You've just joined Evo in my 'people that I will decline a supper invitation from' club.

oh well that's good because you aren't invited to the dinner party that Evo and I are planning.

fileen said:
oh well that's good because you aren't invited to the dinner party that Evo and I are planning.
You call it a dinner party; I'd call it a survival test.

we'll see whos still surviving in 20 years after all that beef

fileen said:
YEAH! You tell him!

fileen=my new BFF

fileen said:

We would have to establish initial parameters for that. You come across as being pretty young, which would make your long-term survival more likely than mine. I've been eating nothing but meat for most of my life. In 20 years I'll be 72, if my pulmonary emphysemia doesn't do me in first. How about you?

Evo said:
YEAH! You tell him!

fileen=my new BFF

Tell me again why I love you... :confused:

Oh, never mind. I remember. It's the tits...