My Favorite Sandwich: White Crusty Bread + Bacon

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary: I won't argue the point; you're probably right. Well, you're not right about me not liking it, but you are about it being different. Up here, they're made with real pot roast, not that processed pot roast stuff. So they're a lot tastier.
Evo said:
That sounds yummy. It reminds me of a sandwich I had the other day, thinly sliced roast beef on a melt in your mouth ciabatta bread with black olives, provolone, onions, tomatoes and a garlicy sauce. Not quite worth the $6 I paid for it (it was a tiny sandwich), but tasty.
Add pepperoncinis and jalapeños and that would be a perfect sandwich.

I like tuna salad, curried egg salad, and sardine or mackerel sandwiches. I ate those as a kid.

My mom made a pickled tomato and cumcumber salad sandwhich with spinach or lettue that was good during the summer, and one do a variation with pickled beets.

Reubens with corn beef or pastrami, sauerkraut and Russian or ranch dressing are good. I like pastrami, swiss/provolone on rye with fixins - lettuce, tomato and black olives.

Philly steak sandwiches are good.

A local shop does a great sausage with roasted peppers and onion, which I like.

And then there is good ol' bbq sandwich.

A basic Vegemite sandwich with swiss or provolone - and toasted does nicely in pinch.

Physics news on Phys.org
Danger said:
We would have to establish initial parameters for that. You come across as being pretty young, which would make your long-term survival more likely than mine. I've been eating nothing but meat for most of my life. In 20 years I'll be 72, if my pulmonary emphysemia doesn't do me in first. How about you?
Well, I'm older than dirt, but I'll probably outlive everyone here. I'll just look funny from all of the broken bones.

Danger, don't remind me that you're not well. :cry:

<shoves healthy sardine sandwich into Danger's computer>

My very favorite is thinly shaved roast beef, raw sweet onions, jalapenos with a strong mustard on a really crusty bread.

fileen said:
home made multigrain bread with a light spread of cream cheese, kielbassa (thick), swiss cheese, sliced apples, lettuce, red pepper, tomato and my own salad dressing (olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, basil, lime juice, brown sugar and just a touch of cayenne)
Sounds good. Is there a recipe (proportions for the dressing or does one used standard proportions for a oil and vinegar dressing with appropriate pinches and smidgeons (or smidgins) to taste?

Evo's sardine, mustard and cheese sandwich sounds interesting. I've never been keen on mustard and sardines. I thought that a bit odd, until I walked into a real smorgasbord in Sweden, and they had more than two dozen ways to prepare fish, and mustard was one of the selections. So as fish goes, nothing surprises me anymore.

Canned sardines in the US usually come three ways, plain, in tomato sauce, and mustard. My favorite is mustard sauce, it's very mild and doesn't taste like mustard at all, it's just a bit acidic and seems to get rid of the fishy taste, tomato is my second favorite, but let's more of the fishy taste through.

Evo said:
Danger, don't remind me that you're not well. :cry:

Don't worry about it, Sweetie. I'll never leave while you're around, regardless of the situation. :wink:

Italian hoagie from Philly. No where else. Hoagie is the official sandwich of the city, NOT the cheesesteak.

Like jimmy said, you can't get bread anywhere else like the bread that they make in philly, probably because of the Schuylkill punch.

Best italialn hoagie is from my neighborhood shop Lenny's. Italian hoagie consits of a homemade roll that is covered in toasted seasame seeds. Fresh romaine lettuce (not that shredded iceberg lettuce crap). Sharp provolone. Sopressatta, coppa, Proscuitto, Genoa Salami, Mortadella, and freshly cut up tomatoes. Long hots, oil, and oregano to top it off.

Danger said:
We would have to establish initial parameters for that. You come across as being pretty young, which would make your long-term survival more likely than mine. I've been eating nothing but meat for most of my life. In 20 years I'll be 72, if my pulmonary emphysemia doesn't do me in first. How about you?

in 20 years Ill be 41. I am sorry to hear you have pulmonary emphysemia. Way to make me feel bad, this is not easily done. I hope I don't suffer any thing like that at 41. I am an extremely healthy person but its because I am obsessive about it. I plan my meals, eat all whole grains and raw veggies. I take my multivitamins and avoid red meat. In the summer I am at the farm all day and I have been known to forget to eat and pass out on horseback. I am also addicted to chocolate and candy. Sugar, cheese and red wine will be my downfall. That and the fact that during the school year I sit in a desk studying all day and all night and the only breaks I have I spend on pf.

Astronuc said:
Sounds good. Is there a recipe (proportions for the dressing or does one used standard proportions for a oil and vinegar dressing with appropriate pinches and smidgeons (or smidgins) to taste?

Evo's sardine, mustard and cheese sandwich sounds interesting. I've never been keen on mustard and sardines. I thought that a bit odd, until I walked into a real smorgasbord in Sweden, and they had more than two dozen ways to prepare fish, and mustard was one of the selections. So as fish goes, nothing surprises me anymore.

I don't really have a recipe, I love to cook and make up all sorts of my own little recipes. I do use that sauce in its various forms for all sorts of things. I've even been known to stir fry my salmon in it. I would suggest playing around until you get it just right for you

fileen said:
I don't really have a recipe, I love to cook and make up all sorts of my own little recipes. I do use that sauce in its various forms for all sorts of things. I've even been known to stir fry my salmon in it. I would suggest playing around until you get it just right for you
Sounds like a great basic recipe.

I love cheese steaks. I like them with bellpeppers, mushrooms, and pizza sauce! Mmmmmmm...

And Danger, by an interesting coincidence my lady friend just told me about a peanut butter maker you may like...
http://www.pbloco.com/
They have Curry Peanut Butter!

fileen said:
in 20 years Ill be 41. I am sorry to hear you have pulmonary emphysemia. Way to make me feel bad, this is not easily done. I hope I don't suffer any thing like that at 41. I am an extremely healthy person but its because I am obsessive about it. I plan my meals, eat all whole grains and raw veggies. I take my multivitamins and avoid red meat. In the summer I am at the farm all day and I have been known to forget to eat and pass out on horseback. I am also addicted to chocolate and candy. Sugar, cheese and red wine will be my downfall. That and the fact that during the school year I sit in a desk studying all day and all night and the only breaks I have I spend on pf.

Certainly no intention to make you feel bad. It's my own fault, for smoking almost 2 packs a day since I was 15. I'm down to about a pack a week if I'm not drinking (:rolleyes:), but more realistically double that.
I'm more concerned about you, though. Your info suggests that you might be diabetic. Have you had a glucose tolerance test?

edit: Sorry, Stats... I didn't see your post until after I logged this one in. Cool link. Gotta tell you, though... I hate curry. The heat is no problem, but the taste is just disgusting. I appreciate the link, however, since it might help me to arm against my enemies... :biggrin:

Last edited:
gravenewworld said:
Italian hoagie from Philly. No where else. Hoagie is the official sandwich of the city, NOT the cheesesteak.

Like jimmy said, you can't get bread anywhere else like the bread that they make in philly, probably because of the Schuylkill punch.

Best italialn hoagie is from my neighborhood shop Lenny's. Italian hoagie consits of a homemade roll that is covered in toasted seasame seeds. Fresh romaine lettuce (not that shredded iceberg lettuce crap). Sharp provolone. Sopressatta, coppa, Proscuitto, Genoa Salami, Mortadella, and freshly cut up tomatoes. Long hots, oil, and oregano to top it off.

This sounds like a 24 hr sandwich, 23hr 55mins to find out what the heck all that stuff is and 5 mins to make it.
:smile:

There's this fancy-schmancy deli near where I used to work that would make the most amazing sandwich: on a fairly dense loaf about halfway between Italian bread and a baguette - but with sesame seeds - they would put cold breaded eggplant cutlets, fresh mozzarella, prosciutto, and pickled red peppers (bell peppers, not hot ones).

It was seriously dangerous, I had to stay away from the place. They'd have a special where they'd make a super-large sandwich out of an entire loaf of the bread. I'd pick one up on the way home from work figuring - "Sweet deal! I've got dinner tonight and lunch for two days!" - but the whole thing would be gone before 2am or 3am.

I'd have to say... Heidi Montag and Charlize Theron.

:biggrin:

B. Elliott said:
I'd have to say... Heidi Montag and Charlize Theron.

:biggrin:

Hmmm, tasty, but i would put them between two pieces of silk and keep them for stock :smile:

Evo said:
Canned sardines in the US usually come three ways, plain, in tomato sauce, and mustard. My favorite is mustard sauce, it's very mild and doesn't taste like mustard at all, it's just a bit acidic and seems to get rid of the fishy taste, tomato is my second favorite, but let's more of the fishy taste through.
I noticed the plain, mustard and tomato. Vinegar or lemon juice (acids) reduce the fishy taste, but I like the fishy taste.

When I was a kid, we ate a lot of fish because it was not as expensive as beef or chicken. But then fish became quite expensive.

In grade school (4-6), I quite often ate sardine sandwiches for lunch. The only other kid who didn't mind was Niels Wolfhagen - he came from Denmark. The other kids thought sardines were gross and smelly.

Give me a pastrami sandwich about 6 inches thick with cheese and a good mustard and I'm in heaven. Corned beef can be substituted for the pastrami or even better half corned beef, half pastrami. Maybe throw some thinly sliced red onion on there. Once when I was in my teens I worked at sub shop. We were supposed to put something like 2oz of meat on each sandwich, I don't remember exactly what the weight was. the company sent in some spies and after I made them a sandwich they took out a scale and weighed everything to see how I had done. I had something like 4times the amount of meat I was supposed to so they fired me. It was a good sandwich though.

Baguette or garlic clove bread, cut into 1/2" rounds
smeared with stinky Gorgonzola cheese
piled with extra-thin, almost shaved rare Angus roast beef
lavishly sprinkled with cracked black pepper and salt
served open-face

is stinky cheese really good? I've never eaten any really stinky cheese. Is it an acquired taste?

tribdog said:
is stinky cheese really good? I've never eaten any really stinky cheese. Is it an acquired taste?

Stinky cheese is the best, and it is an acquired taste, but once you have the taste other cheeses are just bland.

DaveC426913 said:
Baguette or garlic clove bread, cut into 1/2" rounds
smeared with stinky Gorgonzola cheese
piled with extra-thin, almost shaved rare Angus roast beef
lavishly sprinkled with cracked black pepper and salt
served open-face

Mmmmm, i can just taste it.

how do you acquire a taste for something that makes you want to vomit the first time you taste it? and second why do you want to acquire a taste for something that makes you want to vomit the first time you taste it?

A big slice of nice, tender beef from my New England boiled dinner (has vegetable flavors in the beef - onion, garlic, cabbage, turnip...) with strong, sharp Vermont cheddar, Farmer's brand beer mustard with horseradish and one of my chili relishes on home-made onion rye bread.

tribdog said:
how do you acquire a taste for something that makes you want to vomit the first time you taste it? and second why do you want to acquire a taste for something that makes you want to vomit the first time you taste it?
This is from a man that would set his toenails on fire just to see if he could do it?

but you don't see me eating the toasted clippings do you?

tribdog said:
but you don't see me eating the toasted clippings do you?
But you would. :biggrin:

it is an acquired taste

Stinky cheese has nothing on boiled ham, the devil must have invented that ungent
parody of food.

Danger said:
Certainly no intention to make you feel bad. It's my own fault, for smoking almost 2 packs a day since I was 15. I'm down to about a pack a week if I'm not drinking (:rolleyes:), but more realistically double that.
I'm more concerned about you, though. Your info suggests that you might be diabetic. Have you had a glucose tolerance test?

edit: Sorry, Stats... I didn't see your post until after I logged this one in. Cool link. Gotta tell you, though... I hate curry. The heat is no problem, but the taste is just disgusting. I appreciate the link, however, since it might help me to arm against my enemies... :biggrin:

I am not diabetic. I eat raw veggies because I don't like them cooked, I avoid simple carbs because they make me fat, and I avoid red meat because I like cows, horses and pigs, but I find edible birds to be really offensive animals and I don't mind eating them. Ever looked a chicken in the eye? Dont look a turkey in the eye, theyre so dumb they just drop dead. I don't know why I love candy so much, probably because its delicious and I was not allowed to have it until I was about 10 years old. I grew up on red wine and its just a yummy habit I don't really want to break. I am stupidly healthy even though I have a rough history. I suffer from depression and I can't eat when I get really down. I haven't been that sick in years though, and although I did abuse drugs and alcohol for a few years, I haven't been involved in that sort of life style in a long time. I have problems with my blood pressure being too low, and if it gets bad I tend to get uncoordinated and even walk into things. In those situations I eat some salty french fries and go to bed. I usually wake up feeling better. Doc says short of corrective meds there's not much I can do. I like to avoid medicating for things that arent life threatening or stopping me from living a functional life.

my favorite sandwich of all time is:

a fat *****.. from the grease trucks at rutgers. it contains: cheese steak, mozzarella sticks, chicken fingers, french fries, ketchup and lettuce. pure win!

I really like ham, swiss cheese, lettuce, and tomato on a ciabatta bun. Another good one I make sometimes is a steak sandwich topped with swiss cheese and a sauteed portabella mushroom. Yummy!

offtheleft said:
my favorite sandwich of all time is:

a fat *****.. from the grease trucks at rutgers. it contains: cheese steak, mozzarella sticks, chicken fingers, french fries, ketchup and lettuce. pure win!

Yes.

scorpa said:
I really like ham, swiss cheese, lettuce, and tomato on a ciabatta bun. Another good one I make sometimes is a steak sandwich topped with swiss cheese and a sauteed portabella mushroom. Yummy!

Yes

Evo said:
The best sandwich ever is my melted sardine sandwich.

Slices of homemade bread topped with canned sardines in mustard sauce, add a layer of swiss cheese and run under the broiler until the cheese is all melted and bubbly. OMG, this is the best thing I've ever created IMO.

Hmm ... never heard of this one before. I have heard of fish sandwiches being popular in some European nations.

wolram said:
Mine is, white crusty bread spread with salted butter, and layered with crispy bacon, strong cheese, lettuce and salad cream.

Must be a British thing.

Mine is corn beef sandwich , the kind that they have at Jason's Deli , and the Cuban ... I used to have this everyday for lunch - found it to be a good alternative to Taco Bell.

Evo said:
The best sandwich ever is my melted sardine sandwich.

Slices of homemade bread topped with canned sardines in mustard sauce, add a layer of swiss cheese and run under the broiler until the cheese is all melted and bubbly. OMG, this is the best thing I've ever created IMO.

Since this is what the mentors eat I went to the store and bought the ingredients. I'm going to trust in Evo. Tell my mom I love her.

Okay I ate it. You know what? Its not the best sandwich I've ever had, BUT it was good. What really suprised me was that it was cheaper than a can of tuna fish, had more flavor than tuna fish and was a lot more solid than tuna fish. the only problem I'm running into is every time I burp I taste it all over again and its been almost two hours now