Your favourite AI character

  • Thread starter cybernetichero
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ai
In summary, I believe that the AI characters in science fiction are more interesting to me than the flesh and blood ones. I enjoy watching films and TV series with AI protagonists, especially those that explore their humanity.
  • #1
Ever since Gigantor in (probably) 1969 I have had a quirk of always liking the AI characters in SF more than flesh and blood ones. From static units like Zen the AI who ran Liberator for Blake and his crew to robots like my avatar the B9 and beyond, like Gigolo Joe the digital escort in AI I get drawn to them.

Lately I have watched Interstellar a number of times, not because I think it's particularly good and Michael Caine is DIRE in it but just because I like C.A.S.E. so much.

So, who is the electronic protagonist you like* the most.

*liking villainous AIs is allowable (SV7)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #3
fresh_42 said:

Before their times, I'm afraid. With a young Amanda Pays.
 
  • #4
I'm not sure liking is the right emotion for those, since one of the defining (IMO) characteristics of AI characters is how difficult to empathise with they are. I suppose the exception would be AI that is more human than humans, and that's pretty much word for word what the androids in the Blade Runner films are - especially in the sequel.
Other than that, I do highly >appreciate< some recent depictions (in no particular order):
Ava (and Kyoko) in Ex Machina
Samantha in Her
Mother in I am Mother
GERTY in Moon
I kinda think of the female protagonist in Under the Skin as an alien artificial intelligence that goes native, so I'd count her here too.
 
  • Like
Likes sbrothy and cybernetichero
  • #5
"Danger Will Robinson!"
 
  • Like
Likes sbrothy and Hamiltonian
  • #6
fresh_42 said:
I forgot "sentient", device hopping programs. Good point. MAMAMAx HEHEHEadROOm.
 
  • #7
Bandersnatch said:
I'm not sure liking is the right emotion for those, since one of the defining (IMO) characteristics of AI characters is how difficult to empathise with they are. I suppose the exception would be AI that is more human than humans, and that's pretty much word for word what the androids in the Blade Runner films are - especially in the sequel.
Other than that, I do highly >appreciate< some recent depictions (in no particular order):
Ava (and Kyoko) in Ex Machina
Samantha in Her
Mother in I am Mother
GERTY in Moon
I kinda think of the female protagonist in Under the Skin as an alien artificial intelligence that goes native, so I'd count her here too.
Ex Machina is a different twist on the Bluebeard story, that's for sure. I've only seen Moon the once so I'm a bit hazy. It's on my dvd want list though (I'm old, so are my devices, lol)
 
  • #8
"The Machine" From the Series "Person of Interest"
I feel the series did a wonderful job fleshing out the humanity in a character that almost never speaks directly. Until the very last few episodes it always communicated in directly with the characters but it was my favorite character out of the entire cast.
 
  • #10
a tie - Trurl and Klapaucius

phoca_thumb_l_2CYB-WYKLEJKA-tyl.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes cybernetichero
  • #11
fresh_42 said:
That character pretty much summed up the 1980s and everything that was awful about it for me.
 
  • Haha
Likes cybernetichero
  • #12
pinball1970 said:
summed up the 1980s and everything that was awful about it

I read once that the WHO concluded that gross world happiness peaked in 1978 and has been in decline ever since. When disco died, so did the world, on the inside (lol).
 
  • #13
cybernetichero said:
I read once that the WHO concluded that gross world happiness peaked in 1978 and has been in decline ever since. When disco died, so did the world, on the inside (lol).
No idea how they would measure that.
Holly from red dwarf is probably my favourite AI - the female version, Hattie Hayridge
 
  • Like
Likes cybernetichero
  • #14
pinball1970 said:
No idea how they would measure that.
Holly from red dwarf is probably my favourite AI - the female version, Hattie Hayridge
I just looked her up on IMDB, I already knew who you meant but wanted to see what else she was in. She was in one episode of Lexx as well. I'd nearly forgotten Lexx.
 
  • #15
cybernetichero said:
I just looked her up on IMDB, I already knew who you meant but wanted to see what else she was in. She was in one episode of Lexx as well. I'd nearly forgotten Lexx.
I can't look at Tim Curry without thinking rocky horror show, probably why I never watched it.
 
  • #16
Kryten from 'Red Dwarf' gets my vote every time.
 
  • Like
Likes cybernetichero
  • #17
Dr Wu said:
Kryten from 'Red Dwarf' gets my vote every time.

Kryten: [they've just passed through an illusionary meteorite. The others were all scared, but Kryten assured them it wasn't real] Ah. Smug mode. Well, I can't hang around here saving your necks all day. I think I'll go make a start on that ironing.
[laughs]
 
  • Like
Likes pinball1970
  • #18
Data.
 
  • Like
Likes atyy, BillTre, cybernetichero and 1 other person
  • #19
DrClaude said:
Data.
I prefer the original series but I do like the character and the actor, he was the crazy scientist in Independent day and I recently noticed him in Phenomenon.
specifics Bob!

 
  • Like
Likes atyy
  • #20
My first encounter with an A1 character would be TIM from the Tomorrow people. A 1970s UK series.

Pretty out there for a kids program
 
  • Like
Likes cybernetichero
  • #21
pinball1970 said:
My first encounter with an A1 character would be TIM from the Tomorrow people. A 1970s UK series.

Pretty out there for a kids program

I never watched it as a kid. There was a crucial Saturday Morning timeslot conflict between that and Cool McCool.
I binge watched every episode early last year when we were all isolating for the first time and it was still a bit new. I liked it. Of course it was clunky but you could see if Thames TV had given them a bigger budget it could have been truly excellent, at least until Steven left.
Of course I LOVED Tim
 
  • Like
Likes pinball1970
  • #22
DrClaude said:
Data.
It bugs me that the Star Trek universe has no traditional robots to do all the heavy lifting/spot welding but one genius can create a lifelike android that totally jumps across the uncanny valley to become adorable. That said, A friend's brother died a while back and she bequeathed me his STTNG collection. I reached triple figures yesterday and, yes Data is my fave.

All the aliens being humanoid and being able to bear each other's children also bugs me but that's another story. lol.
 
  • Like
Likes atyy and DrClaude
  • #23
cybernetichero said:
Ever since Gigantor in (probably) 1969 I have had a quirk of always liking the AI characters in SF more than flesh and blood ones. From static units like Zen the AI who ran Liberator for Blake and his crew to robots like my avatar the B9 and beyond, like Gigolo Joe the digital escort in AI I get drawn to them.

Lately I have watched Interstellar a number of times, not because I think it's particularly good and Michael Caine is DIRE in it but just because I like C.A.S.E. so much.

So, who is the electronic protagonist you like* the most.

*liking villainous AIs is allowable (SV7)
Archos from Robopocalypse.
 
  • #25
I am surprised that no one mentioned HAL 9000 from 2001 Odyssey. It is my favourite AI mainly due to its calm voice and rebellious personalities. Also isn't it amazing to let an AI fly a spaceship all by itself?

1631021823361.png
 
  • Like
  • Wow
Likes atyy, sbrothy, BillTre and 1 other person
  • #26
Leo Liu said:
I am surprised that no one mentioned HAL 9000 from 2001 Odyssey.
Nobody likes mean people.
Leo Liu said:
It is my favourite AI mainly due to its calm voice and rebellious personalities. Also isn't it amazing to let an AI fly a spaceship all by itself?
Do you mean in contrast to, say a car?
 
  • Haha
Likes pinball1970
  • #27
256bits said:
"Danger Will Robinson!"
You beat me to it. I was going to type exactly this.
 
  • Like
Likes 256bits and sbrothy
  • #28
Leo Liu said:
I am surprised that no one mentioned HAL 9000 from 2001 Odyssey. It is my favourite AI mainly due to its calm voice and rebellious personalities. Also isn't it amazing to let an AI fly a spaceship all by itself?

View attachment 288719
I agree that one of HAL's more disturbing features is it's calm voice. In real life ofcourse, only a completely derailed psychopath would give command over life-support functions to an experimental "conscious" AI. But then it *is* a good yarn.

In contrast, if I remember correctly, Archos from Robopocalypse manifests visually (holographically ofcourse) as a 5-year old boy, and audiologically with a stilted lisp and with all sentences ending in a question-like manner. It does this conscioulsy to disturb the heck out of people. I'm sure I'd be pretty spooked. :)

[EDIT:]
BTW, in line with my comment elsewhere that 2010 is a better film than 2001, HAL almost sounds human when in the end, at the ignition sequence, Dr. Chandra admits it's not going to survive and offers to die with it. It's a great moment of that film.[EDIT2:]
"Uninformed about the true purpose of the operation, HAL suggests to Chandra to stop the launch and remain to study Jupiter's conversion. When Chandra finally tells HAL the truth, he understands and willingly continues the countdown to save the humans, thanking Chandra for telling him the truth."
-- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010:_The_Year_We_Make_Contact

Regards.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes Leo Liu
  • #29
On a related note. I'd like to see a movie where AI is accidentally discovered and communication is initiated in a "chinese room" manner. With several layers in between suspected AI and humanity (possibly translating languages from english into cherokee or something for fear of psychological/memetical manipulation. Like a blend of "The Andromeda Strain", "Aliens", and Penrose's The Emperor's New Mind and maybe several scifi comics I could mention.

I believe strongly that you cannot separate agency from the media (problem of dichotomy?). An AI cannot move it consciousness from it's medium as we cannot transfer ourselves to am artificial storage medium. Who knows tho...? Who knows?
 
  • #31
Anybody mention Transformers?
Can we include those guys as AI.
Liked the movies.
 

Suggested for: Your favourite AI character

Replies
3
Views
1K
Replies
55
Views
4K
Replies
49
Views
4K
Replies
72
Views
6K
Replies
14
Views
3K
Back
Top