Your favourite book of all time?

• Thread starter Sophia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book Time
In summary, the conversation discusses various favorite books of different genres and themes. Some of the mentioned books include The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak, Watership Down by Richard Adams, The Future of the Mind by Michio Kaku, Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand, Out of the Crisis by W. Edwards Deming, A World Lit Only By Fire by William Manchester, Chaos: Making a New Science by James Gleick, Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy, The Trouble With Physics by Lee Smolin, and Principles of Magnesium Technology by E. F. Emley. The conversation also touches on the different perspectives and lifestyles of European people and the impact of different cultures on literature.
Sophia
I know there is a thread about what you are currently reading, but what is your favourite book of all time?
So far the best book I've read was The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak.
The narrator is Death himself who describes experiences of a German girl, her family and a Jew they are hiding.
Its a very poetical and warming, yet sad story. Very different from other books or films about WWII.

Likes Silicon Waffle
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know if Liesel's story reflects today's any realistic objective perspectives and lifestyles of most European people but I can make a rough and pretty harsh conclusive generalization that they are pretty negative about life and human relationships. If someone thinks they fully understand European people's definition of love or affection, then that's good for them, I just don't myself. The writer is an Australian anyway.

Silicon Waffle said:
The writer is an Australian anyway.
I just read his parents are German and Austrian, respectively. So maybe that explains some of the thematic.

Silicon Waffle said:
I don't know if Liesel's story reflects today's any realistic objective perspectives and lifestyles of most European people but I can make a rough and pretty harsh conclusive generalization that they are pretty negative about life and human relationships. If someone thinks they fully understand European people's definition of love or affection, then that's good for them, I just don't myself. The writer is an Australian anyway.

Why would an Australian not understand European's definition of love or affection? In my experience, there is very little difference between Australian culture and European.

I'm fairly sure the answer to this is Watership Down, by Richard Adams. It has great characters, I love the rabbit mythology he builds throughout, the story is genuinely exciting/frightening/empathetic, and I've never read anything that better encapsulated the British countryside.

the Future of the Mind by Michio Kaku followed by Waking Up by Sam Harris

in that order.

My all time favorite...Atlas Shrugged by Russian born author Ayn Rand. I realize that many people either love it or hate it, but its philosophical doctrine which proclaims intellectuals and the free market as important to every society is always enjoyable. Hell, it entertained me for 1,000 pages, that deserves an award.

Out of the Crisis, W. Edwards Deming

I have to list two. Sorry. Both are informative fun reading.
A World Lit Only By Fire by William Manchester describes European Civilization leading up to Magellan's Voyage (when science conquers religion)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0316545562/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Chaos: Making a New Science by James Gleick contains an incredible description of the frustration of being on the cutting edge of Non-Linear Dynamics
(it's almost like Kuhn says, the old school has to die off)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0143113453/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Anna Karenina

"The Trouble With Physics", by Lee Smolin;
It's the reason I am back in college :)

Number two on my list is currently, "Principles of Magnesium Technology" by E. F. Emley. Fascinating (and unfortunately rare) book with extraordinary pictures only matched by its content.

My favorites have always been Flatland and Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.

Likes Enigman

What is your favourite book of all time?

My favourite book of all time is "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee.

Why is it your favourite book?

I love the powerful themes and messages in "To Kill a Mockingbird" about racism, justice, and morality. The characters are also well-developed and the storytelling is captivating.

What is the genre of the book?

The genre of "To Kill a Mockingbird" is historical fiction.

Who is the main character in the book?

The main character in "To Kill a Mockingbird" is Jean Louise "Scout" Finch, a young girl growing up in the Deep South during the 1930s.

What is the significance of the title of the book?

The title "To Kill a Mockingbird" is a metaphor for destroying innocence and harming the innocent, which is a major theme in the book.