Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Your favourite MS-DOS games

1. Nov 7, 2006 #1

radou

Homework Helper

Actually, I wasn't sure where to start this thread - here or in general discussion. Anyway, I just stumped across some old CD with a bunch of 'old school' MS-DOS games and flashbacks just started to appear after I browsed through the folders. These games simply rule. So, what were (or still are) your favourite ones? :cool:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2006 #2

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Anything by infocom. Texted base puzzel/adventure.

The Sierra stuff like Kings Quest before they went to the mouse driven engine.
    My kids learned to spell so they could play them.

4. Nov 7, 2006 #3

turbo

Gold Member

Sierra had some nice puzzle games.

5. Nov 7, 2006 #4

radou

Homework Helper

Yeah...the good old times when you could play a game in 16 color EGA graphics and fully enjoy it. Actually, if a game has atmosphere, graphics is of minor importance.

I spent hours, hours and hours playing Monkey Island 1 and 2. Indiana Jones and The Fate of Atlantis was great, too. Then Simon the Sorcerer. Actually, I loved 'point and click' adventures.

6. Nov 7, 2006 #5
    Aztec, but that was an Apple ][ game, I don't know if it made it to MS-DOS.

7. Nov 8, 2006 #6

0rthodontist

Science Advisor

8. Nov 8, 2006 #7

radou

Homework Helper

Great, I'll check it out!

Also, I forgot to mention Dangerous Dave.

9. Nov 8, 2006 #8

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Space Quest! :biggrin:

10. Nov 8, 2006 #9
    Hmm, I loved King's Quest, Space Quest and Police Quest. My favourite games were probably Wizardry - Proving Grounds Of The Mad Overlord and Starflight I and II. Then there was Elite, which was awesome too.

11. Nov 9, 2006 #10
    my fav pacman

12. Nov 9, 2006 #11

radou

Homework Helper

Also, forgot about Prince of Persia I and Titus the Fox. The legendary arcades.

13. Nov 9, 2006 #12
    Not quite a DOS game -- but I really miss the days of playing "Lunatic Fringe" on the screen saver program After Dark for Mac. What a stupidly fun game!!

I still have the DOS version of PGA golf which is still the most fun!

14. Nov 9, 2006 #13

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

My favorite computer game, in fact the only one that I ever really "got into" (maybe I burned myself out with it) is the text-only Colossal Cave Adventure game that was originally written in the 1970s in FORTRAN for the "minicomputers" of the time: Digital Equipment PDP's and VAXes, etc. Then it was ported to C so it can probably be compiled on just about anything.

http://www.rickadams.org/adventure/

I wasted a LOT of time on this game when I was in graduate school. :eek:

15. Nov 9, 2006 #14

turbo

Gold Member

jtbell, when I returned to college in 1977 after quite a number of years working, I found a Star Trek game that could be played on the consoles (where did the punch cards go!!!!) and could return printed outputs of your position and those of the enemies. Cool.

16. Nov 9, 2006 #15
    Nah, Civilization was the best MS-DOS game. Most people forget that game was originally produced sometime before Windows 3.0.

Ultima. You can't forget Ultima. Ultima IV was the first really good one.

17. Nov 9, 2006 #16
    And don't forget Rogue/Hack/NetHack and the other one (Angband was part of that series, although that wasn't the original, which went by another name).

18. Nov 10, 2006 #17

verty

Homework Helper

Tie Fighter, Dark Sun, UFO/XCOM (the first one), Civ, Master of Magic, Daggerfall, Jazz Jackrabbit, 4D Boxing (great game), Stunts, Star Control 2, Doom, Duke Nukem (1 and 3D).

19. Nov 10, 2006 #18
    Settlers 2
    Transport Tycoon
    and Wolfenstein 3d

My fav ms-dos games.

20. Nov 10, 2006 #19

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

:rofl:
    I ported this to IBM Mainframe fortran sometime in the 70's.
    Even had a work request as they wanted somthing for the Boy Scouts.
    Boy Scouts wern't the only people that played :devil:

Also put up a varient of Startrek (Galaxy) written for the 6800. Forget which language I used, but it stopped working when the mainframe went from direct terminals to remote and you could no longer do unsolicited display updates.

21. Nov 12, 2006 #20
    prince of percia
    lemmings
    sokoban
    :!!) i really liked my 286

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?