Your first research experience

• Thread starter R.P.F.
  • Start date
Hey micromass,

I just finished the talk. It pretty much confused everyone because the talk was very technical. But I would think it went smoothly and I was not nervous at all. :)
Very good!!!! :smile:
It also seems you mastered one of the techniques of talks: confusing the hell out of everybody :biggrin:

It also seems you mastered one of the techniques of talks: confusing the hell out of everybody :biggrin:
Haha that's for sure! I had to give a talk at my lab meeting about a month ago on a new method for obtaining wave-vector dynamics equivalent to dynamic light scattering but with a microscope. Confused the hell out of me even when I was talking about it!

As for an update for my work...

I've moved on from creating a ternary phase diagram and now I'm looking at the bulk rheological properties of an 8% PVA 8% PEG solution as it gels over time. I will also be embedding nanoparticles in a future sample and doing microscope particle tracking to look at the gelation process on a micro-scale as well as doing a differential thermal analysis on it to see if anything interesting happens with temperature. I am also trying to write some IDL code to perform the new method I described above (Differential Dynamic Microscopy), which isn't going very well but it's just a side-project and not something I'm really focusing on.

LOL. Exactly. I realized that one must-have technique in talk-giving is that even if the majority of your audience is so lost that they are dozing off, you can still retain your passion and finish up nicely.

LOL. Exactly. I realized that one must-have technique in talk-giving is that even if the majority of your audience is so lost that they are dozing off, you can still retain your passion and finish up nicely.
Other techniques you might want to master:
- Running out of time.
- Saying that something is "an interesting question", and then deflecting it.
- Using the words "obvious", "clearly" and "trivial" in inappropriate circumstances
- Bash works of other researchers

Hey, everbody does it :biggrin: