Your first semester in college

In summary, the conversation covers various experiences of starting college, including meeting new roommates, attending classes, and adjusting to campus life. The topic of dating and social life is also mentioned, as well as the challenges and pressures of choosing a major and adjusting to college-level coursework. Personal experiences, such as struggling in the first semester and eventually finding success, are also shared.
Loren Booda
Remember the Ivy, fresh out of high school?

Meeting new roommates, signing up for and attending classes, exploring the campus and setting routines. Cheering on you sports teams, exchanging traditions, coping with stress and homesickness.

Not to mention the excitement of sophomores scoping out dating opportunities!

Physics news on Phys.org
nothing like that with mine.

20 minutes bus ride from home to go to university. So none of the roommate or flatmate stuff.

Everyone I know started their degree doing engineering, I did physics. Found out 95% of people in my physics classes are people who failed to get into engineering faculty, which made me a little sick. I also had to deal with the same questions to anyone that decided to talk to me "you did so well in school, why didn't you do engineering?"

first year courses were not stressful for me really. I really should have used that year to build up my social network, join clubs, meet new people etc. But instead I spent most of that year randomly walking around the campus and play videos at home.

I guess I did learn the lesson of not to waste a year like that...

Lots of booze and women.

Mine were in the library...I didn`t get to see the sun much.

I went to community college. My best memory from my first semester was the fact that I wasn't in high school anymore

Studied hard. Played harder.

Let's see... apart from taking 16 hours of credits and have to study everyday, I get to hold my single status longer.

I bombed my first semester. Absolutely hated what I was doing. After that though I buckled down and got going. It never really mattered that I did terribly my first semester by the time I graduated.

1. What courses should I take during my first semester in college?

It is recommended to take a variety of courses that fulfill general education requirements and explore different subjects. This can help you discover your interests and strengths before declaring a major. It's also important to meet with an academic advisor for guidance.

2. How many credits should I take during my first semester in college?

Most colleges recommend taking 12-15 credits (or 4-5 courses) during your first semester. This allows you to adjust to college life and workload without being overwhelmed. However, it's important to review your degree requirements and make sure you're on track to graduate on time.

3. How do I manage my time effectively during my first semester in college?

Time management is crucial in college. It's important to create a schedule and prioritize your tasks. Make sure to balance your academic responsibilities with social activities and self-care. Don't be afraid to ask for help if you're feeling overwhelmed.

4. What resources are available to help me succeed during my first semester in college?

Most colleges have a variety of resources available, such as tutoring services, writing centers, and academic advising. Take advantage of these resources to help you succeed in your classes. Additionally, don't be afraid to reach out to your professors for extra help or clarification.

5. How can I get involved on campus during my first semester in college?

Getting involved on campus is a great way to meet new people and make the most out of your college experience. Attend club fairs, join a student organization, or volunteer for events. This can also help you develop new skills and interests outside of the classroom.