How can stereotypes and expectations affect performance?

• Thread starter KillaMarcilla
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Iq
In summary, the conversation centered around a televised IQ test that was aired on Fox. The participants shared their scores and discussed their thoughts on the test. Some found it easy, while others struggled with certain questions. There was also discussion about the validity and accuracy of the test, with some pointing out that it may not be a true measure of intelligence. The conversation also touched on the topic of gender and intelligence, with some theorizing that expectations and stereotypes may play a role in test performance.
KillaMarcilla
http://www.testonfox.com/

They had a nationally-televised IQ test that was live in the east half of the US, and in Pacific I just finished watching it and getting scored

I got a 55/60, which corresponds to a 127 IQ, apparently

I think that's the top 10% or so, so that's pretty good. I guess I can't join any elitist organizations with that, unless I get lucky or just do slightly better on a more difficult test, though

How'd YOU do if you took it?

Physics news on Phys.org
:) I got the same score!

I was just going to start a topic about it because it is just soooo cool that the scientists were the smartest of the bunch :) lol

It was just annoying that she just kept talking through the quiz.. the most difficult ones for me were the memory (all those addresses) and I didn't get one of the words, was it obliging?

Where did they put up a comparison with the nation and the IQ conversion chart?

ha ha ha

I missed obliging too

I said indulgent, since it's a more extreme version of obliging, so far as I know, and I guess I missed accomodating right above it

Yeah, you'd really expect scientists to be the smartest, just because you need mathematical intelligence to do any sort of hard science. I think the softer sciences might be more about memory and persistence, though, and not as much about cold, hard, logic

i watched a bit of that show. i thought most of the questions were really easy, but i didn't tally up my score. did you have to calculate in your age? becuase, if not, it's not a real IQ test.

Yeah, you did

And it said wasn't valid at all if you're under 18 years old or over 70

They also said not to use the test to diagnose any medical conditions, so it might not be a top-notch test

Weren't the bodybuilder the ones with the lowest IQs? lol, I thought it was funny that they were actually including blondes as a group :P

20 bonus IQ points to everyone who turns off Fox and all their alien autopsy moon hoax drek

Originally posted by Phobos
20 bonus IQ points to everyone who turns off Fox and all their alien autopsy moon hoax drek

ha! but the moon hoax thing was weird. the flag was blowing, phobos, blowing! how can that be? and there was no blast crater! eh?

Weren't the bodybuilder the ones with the lowest IQs? lol, I thought it was funny that they were actually including blondes as a group :P
No, it was the blondes. ;P

They had a similar test here in Oz last year, having another one this year. I think the women kicked arse over the men if I remember.

I dunno, every group on the show got significantly higher than average, with only a little bit of variation..

You know what's kind of funny? If a group of people is told that they'll do poorly on a test because they're inferior to someone else, they almost always do poorly

I saw this documentary where some woman in a really homogeneous town in the 60s wanted to show her students what all the civil rights stuff going on was about, so one day she said that all the brown-eyed children were smarter than the blue-eyed ones and segregated them, and the brown-eyed ones beat the stuffing out of the blue-eyed ones (mentally)

Then, the next day, she said she'd been lying and the blue-eyed children were better people, and the blue-eyed children 0wned up

Then at the end of the day she explained what she'd done and taught everyone a valuable lesson

So it might just be that if women don't expect to do as well as men, they'll do a little worse, and vice-versa

(Although I heard that on average girls don't catch up to men in raw math power until 17 or 18 years, so maybe that has something to do with something)

1. What is Fox IQ?

Fox IQ is a measure of an individual's intelligence quotient, calculated through a series of cognitive and problem-solving tests.

2. How is Fox IQ different from other IQ tests?

Fox IQ is unique in that it focuses specifically on problem-solving and critical thinking skills, rather than just general intelligence.

3. Can Fox IQ be improved?

Yes, Fox IQ, like any other IQ test, can be improved through practice and training of the skills assessed in the test.

4. Is Fox IQ a reliable measure of intelligence?

Fox IQ has been scientifically validated and has shown to be a reliable measure of intelligence. However, it is important to note that IQ tests should not be the sole determinant of an individual's intelligence.

5. Can Fox IQ scores be compared across different age groups?

Yes, Fox IQ scores can be compared across different age groups as the test is standardized for different age ranges. However, it is important to keep in mind that age can impact certain cognitive abilities, so the results should be interpreted with caution.