Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Your garage

1. May 1, 2008 #1

wolram

Gold Member

What do you have in your garage, are you "set up" to maintain your vehicles, do major repairs, or is your garage for storage only.

Do you use you garage for hobbies, may be wood work or renovation of some kind.

Or do you just put you car in it.

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2008 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Our garage is a mess. We can fit two cars in it, but the rest of the space is storage. We live in a neighborhood now, but we moved here from a rural property. We used to have a barn, and we still have all the things that were in the barn.

For instance, we still have sheep shearers. Why? I don't know...waste not, want not, I guess. Good to know I'll never want for a pair of sheep shearers.

And a pitchfork. Not a big need for a pitchfork in a suburban neighborhood, but there it is.

I have my woodworking tools, but they aren't set up - no room for a shop :frown: .

4. May 1, 2008 #3

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I want to throw everything in the garage out. It doesn't do any good to hang on to these things in case you need it in the future, because it's a month long job to find anything. You have to buy a new thing anyway because you don't have the time to find the one that's stored in some box somewhere in the garage. Especially since, at the end of a long unsuccessful quest, you can still be confronted with, "Hmmm. Maybe it's in one of the boxes under the stairs."

Most frustrating thing is that there actually is a box somewhere that has files telling us what's in each box without having to rummage through each box. I can't find it.

5. May 1, 2008 #4
    Mine is set up primarily for automotive work. There's a couple of different drill presses, an air compressor, lot's of specialty tools on top all the regular metric and standard tools, a couple of belt sanders, ect. I also keep quite a bit of chemicals and fluids stocked in case i'm working on something and the stores are closed. Whenever I run out of room in the house, I sometimes use it to work on desktop and laptop computers.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/hypohonda/shop1.jpg
    http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/hypohonda/shop2.jpg

Here's a picture of the flowbench I started building not too long ago. When it's finished it will be used for flow testing cylinder heads on cars, motorcycles, ect. It's fully functional now, I just have to go back and clean some things up and make some other little modifications. Six vacuum motors running at once is quite loud, especially when you put them under a load... sounds somewhat like a jet engine.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/hypohonda/FlowB2setup1.jpg

6. May 1, 2008 #5

wolram

Gold Member

Now i am seriously jealous, what a great set up B.Elliott.

7. May 1, 2008 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I keep my car in one side of the garage. There's a nook under the stairs that I use for storage, but that's overflowing a bit (time to do like BobG suggests and start throwing out some stuff...there are things under there that serve no function other than to hold in the other stuff and provide me with some weight lifting exercise when I need to dig out something else). I have tools stored on shelves, but other than little tinkering projects here and there, they don't do me much good right now. I also have a shelf for storing paper goods (like the packages of paper towels and toilet paper). I also have some furniture stored there, like extra chairs that get pulled out when I have parties, and some folding tables. I keep an area clear where I can set up a table and chair when I want to work on a messy hobby (like when I got out my potting soil to transplant my seedlings...that was done in the garage).

Mostly, I need to spend a day cleaning it.

8. May 1, 2008 #7

wolram

Gold Member

BobG, Noooooo do not chuck it, you are bound to want the thing you chucked away the week after, my grandad never chucked any thing, he would just build another shed when the others were over flowing, he was all ways popular as people would go to him for that odd thingamajig.

9. May 1, 2008 #8

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Kit car, 3 bikes, engine hoist, welder, jacks and ramps, tools, a few spare engines, various things, and some stuff.

10. May 1, 2008 #9

turbo

Gold Member

Detached garage has motorcyle, Polaris APT (4x4/2x4 ATV with a dump body) and a dump-body trailer, snowblower, small mower, and lots of garden/lawn implements, leaf blower, grass trimmer, chain saw and straight and mixed gas for the same, along with reserve supplies of oils. Summer storage space for snow scoop and shovels, snowshoes, and other winter stuff. Also clean, cool storage for telescopes, tripods, and related gear.

Attached garage has two large chest freezers for winter produce and meats, large rolling tool chest and work bench with bench vise, electric and manual hand-tools for wood-working and mechanical work. Storage for fly-fishing gear, life-jackets, paddles, and lots of related stuff.

Outdoor storage (under tarps, under back deck, etc) for 18 hp John Deere tractor with mower deck, Troy-Bilt Horse tiller, and 5.5 hp hydraulic wood splitter and a couple of Old Town canoes.

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  11. May 1, 2008 #10

wolram

Gold Member

The only thing missing is an aircraft carrier.

12. May 1, 2008 #11

wolram

Gold Member

Are these for cabinet making, general joinery?

13. May 1, 2008 #12

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nothing advanced, just a table saw, a miter saw, belt sander...just basic tools. Enough to make shelves or other simple projects.

The place I work now has EVERYTHING in the wood shop, so I don't really have any motivation to set up my trivial little shop at home.

The wood shop here has the biggest band saw I've ever seen - it's about 17 feet tall :surprised !

14. May 1, 2008 #13

turbo

Gold Member

I have a neighbor with a Wood-Miser saw-mill that can handle huge logs and can produce very wide boards. He leaves his "garage" unlocked and I can use all his wood working tools freely. Edging saw with roller supports for 16' boards, if necessary, planer, jointer (with vacuum systems to collect shavings, dust), chop saw, table saw, biscuit cutter and joining system with a very large clamping table for making laminates. I supply him with hot chili relishes and salsas and he supplies me with garlic (growing my own this year), and he has given me free run of his wood-working shop.

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  15. May 1, 2008 #14

Danger

Gold Member

I don't have a garage, and you don't even want to think about what's in the basement at my house (I don't live there). I probably carry more **** in my pockets than most people have in their garages. :rolleyes:

16. May 1, 2008 #15

wolram

Gold Member

I can just imagine, 17ft band saw, laminating work bench, engine crane, cork screw etc.

17. May 1, 2008 #16

Danger

Gold Member

And that's just my front right pants pocket. The stuff in my hoodie would scare even you. :biggrin:

18. May 1, 2008 #17

wolram

Gold Member

Nothing scares me, except whats in your hoodie pocket.

19. May 1, 2008 #18

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yeah, hoodies can hold a lot of junk.

20. May 1, 2008 #19

Danger

Gold Member

21. May 2, 2008 #20

wolram

Gold Member

(Lloyd Grossman) type voice, So whats in your hoodie pockets.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?