Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Your Goals In Life

1. Oct 30, 2006 #1
    I think the hardest part of life is figuring out what you want. The rest is easy. I wanted to make a 'Hi I'm new' thread, but at the same time pose a general question that everybody can answer for themselves in order to create something worth reading. I look forward to reading and writing more on these forums.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2006 #2
    i want to change the world by my ideas.

4. Oct 30, 2006 #3
    maximum fun
    minimun sorrow

thats about it.
    by fun i mean, doing things i enjoy doing, without caring on the outcome, just the process should do it.
    by sorrow, i mean to avoid it, and when it does happen, i mean to reduce my reaction to it.

it may sound blunt, but i think that its the best approach.

5. Oct 30, 2006 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to PF Grizzly!

As for your question, I am not "goal oriented". I think a lot of people become so focused on their goal that they blind themselves to other opportunities and can miss out on a lot. Instead, I go after what I'm interested in at the moment and if something more interesting turns up, I shift gears. I'm contemplating a HUGE change right now. :surprised

6. Oct 30, 2006 #5
    i just take it day by day aswell..

my only true goal is to help humanity to conquer the universe ;P

7. Oct 30, 2006 #6
    I'm glad you told me that, my goal is to conquer humanity, it's nice to know who I'm up against :wink:

Goals are nice, but I'm very much like Evo and Voluminox, I'm not going to get hung up on them or plan too far ahead, I prefer to have an idea of where I'm going rather than a definitive plan; if I leave my options at least somewhat open, then I'm less likely to hit a dead end.

I think too many people have some sort of pre concieved measuring stick of what they must do or achieve to be successful, as if it's some sort of competition, it's nice to be where you want, but I think so long as you enjoy your life, then the score is not so important.

8. Oct 30, 2006 #7

Danger

Gold Member

I want to sometime drink enough beer to totally destroy a brand-new urinal deodorant puck in one evening.

9. Oct 30, 2006 #8

10. Oct 30, 2006 #9
    Haha from another thread.... I want to find out how much beer a person can drink and how many psychadelics they can take and still get an A in college :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: . No, just kidding. I want to do research on Alzheimer's because my grandfather died of it, and it was absolutely horrible.

11. Oct 30, 2006 #10
    I want to change my original position. i want to rule the world, and all of you would be my slaves.

12. Oct 30, 2006 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think I want to own an energy company that produces biodiesel from algae. Potential translation: I want to be a slime farmer.

13. Oct 30, 2006 #12
    Great... just great.. now i have two enemies. :rofl:

14. Oct 30, 2006 #13
    This sounds good to me Ivan, can I be your partner in slime.

15. Oct 30, 2006 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You may be a little green, but I think you fit the mold. :biggrin:

16. Oct 30, 2006 #15
    I want to finish my finals (next few weeks) then goto RMIT and study physics, do honors and then a Ph.D then hopefully be employed in a research area (not sure which I want to do yet, maybe something nuclear). How ever like Evo this isn't really a goal, it's just an interest. If it doesn't happen I'll be fine being a professional dole bludger.

17. Oct 31, 2006 #16
    I want to learn/travel/and experience what this world has to offer. I have some drive that I really cannot explain that forces me to learn how everything works. Thats why I am a Physics major, how can people get into an elevator everyday of their life and not care whatsoever about how it works. I need to know. It's funny, many people go through college to get that piece of paper that enables them to make money, to me it is simply because I am being gravitated to knowledge like a piece of matter on the event horizon of a black hole. I already have experienced that little taste, now I cannot turn back, full steam ahead! Past that life is a journey, who knows what adventures I will run into.

18. Oct 31, 2006 #17

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Here ya go. Now you don't need that physics degree. :biggrin:

http://science.howstuffworks.com/elevator1.htm

19. Oct 31, 2006 #18
    awwww how nice Evo!:rolleyes: thank you! I was using the elevator as an example, trust me, I figured that one out long ago. Regardless, even if I do know how (x) works, there are infinitely more things out there to learn about. It will never end lol

20. Nov 1, 2006 #19
    Truth? Inner peace? I don't know what I want. My life sucks!

21. Nov 1, 2006 #20
    you people will all be my slaves

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?