Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Your ideal home

1. Jun 30, 2005 #1

wolram

Gold Member

Mine would be a stone built cottage, with exposed beams, big open fire places
    and large rooms filled with antique furniture. there would be a huge kitchen
    with a wood burning range, flag stone floors and bare stone walls.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2005 #2

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So... everything huge?

As much as I like to think about big houses, I just don't see it happening at all. So, any nice and decent home that is clean will do.

4. Jun 30, 2005 #3

Danger

Gold Member

Underground for me. I've already selected the spot, in a nice wee coulee beside a fair-sized stream. Unfortunately, it will be part of a subdivision long before I'd be able to get my mitts on it. I would dig way back into the face of the hill and make a nice 10,000-20,000 sq. ft. house (including multi-car garage and shooting range). Even here, where it hits -45º C, the temperature remains about 16º C if you stay below the frost line (anything more than about 1 1/2 metres deep). I would have a tall observation tower with mirrors and lenses to pipe sunlight down for heat and light, along with in-floor hot water pipes to maintain a comfortable (for me) 25º C temperature.

5. Jun 30, 2005 #4

wolram

Gold Member

I thought about somthing like that Danger, but i like weather and skies, you like
    to shoot? one of my lost pastimes i miss.

6. Jun 30, 2005 #5

wolram

Gold Member

Hey you are allowed to dream a bit, think what would be nice then multiply
    by 10.

7. Jun 30, 2005 #6

Danger

Gold Member

The weather and skies is what the observation tower is for, should I chose to look out. I prefer a closed-in, nocturnal existence when allowed a choice. As for the shooting... I couldn't afford ammo for the most part anyway, but until my weapons offenses trial in the fall my guns have all been confiscated. It's not a big deal for the most part, but I still feel pretty naked without my .45. :frown:

8. Jun 30, 2005 #7

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'd want something in the middle of the woods, on the top of a big mountain.

Lodge style, like wolram.

That would be nice.

9. Jun 30, 2005 #8

wolram

Gold Member

I have only ever seen one handgun, i chap showed it to me in a factory in
    belgium where i was installing machinery, it was a silver magnum 44, he
    shot himself in the leg when practicing a quick draw, never found out what
    happened to him.

10. Jun 30, 2005 #9

wolram

Gold Member

11. Jun 30, 2005 #10
    I also, have wanted a stone house, there are quite a few here in northern Michigan. They stay cool in the summer and cozy warm in the winter. A big central fireplace is a must, in a open main floor. I also like big porches, to use as a extended living area. Breakfast or lunch on the porch, in view of the garden, life don't get much finer then that. :smile:

12. Jun 30, 2005 #11

wolram

Gold Member

Northern Michigan sounds nice, i have only been to the US once, and that was
    a working trip, im sure the company was james rivers, not far from the US
    canadian boarder, Breakfast on the porch sounds cool.

13. Jun 30, 2005 #12
    Michigan is very much like GB, surrounded by water, a few large cities with rolling farm land and forrests in between. I think our seasons are a bit more extreme then yours, with 8 inch snow falls in winter, and 85 to 95 degrees in the summer.

14. Jun 30, 2005 #13

wolram

Gold Member

That sounds beautiful, 85 to 95 is to warm for me though, but i love snow and
    forests and rolling farm land.
    The UK is over populated now to many motorways and sprawling development,
    i think myself lucky that i still have countryside around me.

15. Jun 30, 2005 #14
    My ideal home will be situated in a rural setting ideally Pembroke not only an extremely beautiful place but has some of the darkest skies in the UK. The building will be primary open plan apart from the living quarters which are to be located in the basement (I like the cosy feeling of dark spaces with open fires and when sleeping and am not a big fan being awoken by direct sun light!) the construction is to be of green oak and jointed with a steel plate and pin construction (tradition and contempary materials combined appeals) that said the western wall is glass so as I can enjoy a glass of wine and watch the setting sun. Now the fun, a cinema is a must, large kitchen area with stainless steel work surfaces and appliances the type you find in a good restaurant (I love cooking it’s a great escape!) a driving range and/or 9 hole golf course and I’ve always wanted my own observatory! (I thought too much about this haven’t I?)

16. Jun 30, 2005 #15

honestrosewater

Gold Member

I think I would stay in Florida, an area close to the beach but not in danger of storm surge or flooding. Maybe Sarasota.
    Exterior: A simple rectangle with wrap-around patio, white porch swing, and garden. Roof is whatever shape fares best in high winds, dome or pyramidial. Floor-to-ceiling windows spaced all around with white shutters (I'll have storm shutters too), the rest probably brick or stone- white. Underground safe room for storms and whatever else.
    Interior: No interior walls or attic (ceiling follows shape of roof). Portable room dividers hold prints that I switch out whenever. Large cobalt or royal blue tile, maybe granite or marble. Piano, pool table, lots of big white down pillows. White, more white, rich blues and browns. Flowers from the garden add splashes of color; roses, lilies, orchids, tulips. A mix of Scandinavian modern, modern- clean, polished, crisp, open, no clutter- and British Colonial, New Orleans- charm, elegance.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2005
  17. Jun 30, 2005 #16
    This sounds gorgeous. I love stone floors and hate carpet. Big fireplace is essential. Exposed beams are heavenly. You have good taste, Wolram.

18. Jun 30, 2005 #17

wolram

Gold Member

Thats made my day, week , month ,Zooby said i have good taste, what a
    compliment.

19. Jun 30, 2005 #18

wolram

Gold Member

Honestrosewater

I like the swing and underground safe room for whatever, :yuck: must take
    another BP pill.

20. Jun 30, 2005 #19
    And now the bad news: when you get this gorgeous cottage, I'll be your housemate.

21. Jun 30, 2005 #20

wolram

Gold Member

Thats ok, i have a list of guests that would have a permanent invite like,
    Evo, moonbear, maths is hard, Evo, honestrosewater, Evo, to name but
    six, we could all sit around the fire talking intelligent stuff.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?