Ideal Home: Stone Cottage, Exposed Beams, Antique Furniture

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Home
In summary, the conversation was about what kind of home an expert would want. The expert would like a stone built cottage with exposed beams, big open fireplaces, and large rooms filled with antique furniture. There would be a huge kitchen with a wood burning range, flag stone floors, and bare stone walls. The expert would want something in the middle of the woods, on the top of a big mountain.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Mine would be a stone built cottage, with exposed beams, big open fire places
and large rooms filled with antique furniture. there would be a huge kitchen
with a wood burning range, flag stone floors and bare stone walls.

Physics news on Phys.org
wolram said:

So... everything huge?

As much as I like to think about big houses, I just don't see it happening at all. So, any nice and decent home that is clean will do.

Underground for me. I've already selected the spot, in a nice wee coulee beside a fair-sized stream. Unfortunately, it will be part of a subdivision long before I'd be able to get my mitts on it. I would dig way back into the face of the hill and make a nice 10,000-20,000 sq. ft. house (including multi-car garage and shooting range). Even here, where it hits -45º C, the temperature remains about 16º C if you stay below the frost line (anything more than about 1 1/2 metres deep). I would have a tall observation tower with mirrors and lenses to pipe sunlight down for heat and light, along with in-floor hot water pipes to maintain a comfortable (for me) 25º C temperature.

I thought about somthing like that Danger, but i like weather and skies, you like
to shoot? one of my lost pastimes i miss.

JasonRox said:
So... everything huge?

As much as I like to think about big houses, I just don't see it happening at all. So, any nice and decent home that is clean will do.

Hey you are allowed to dream a bit, think what would be nice then multiply
by 10.

wolram said:
I thought about somthing like that Danger, but i like weather and skies, you like
to shoot? one of my lost pastimes i miss.
The weather and skies is what the observation tower is for, should I chose to look out. I prefer a closed-in, nocturnal existence when allowed a choice. As for the shooting... I couldn't afford ammo for the most part anyway, but until my weapons offenses trial in the fall my guns have all been confiscated. It's not a big deal for the most part, but I still feel pretty naked without my .45. :frown:

I'd want something in the middle of the woods, on the top of a big mountain.

Lodge style, like wolram.

That would be nice.

I have only ever seen one handgun, i chap showed it to me in a factory in
belgium where i was installing machinery, it was a silver magnum 44, he
shot himself in the leg when practicing a quick draw, never found out what
happened to him.

JasonRox said:
I'd want something in the middle of the woods, on the top of a big mountain.

That sounds cool far from the maddening crowd

I also, have wanted a stone house, there are quite a few here in northern Michigan. They stay cool in the summer and cozy warm in the winter. A big central fireplace is a must, in a open main floor. I also like big porches, to use as a extended living area. Breakfast or lunch on the porch, in view of the garden, life don't get much finer then that. :smile:

hypatia said:
I also, have wanted a stone house, there are quite a few here in northern Michigan. They stay cool in the summer and cozy warm in the winter. A big central fireplace is a must, in a open main floor. I also like big porches, to use as a extended living area. Breakfast or lunch on the porch, in view of the garden, life don't get much finer then that. :smile:

Northern Michigan sounds nice, i have only been to the US once, and that was
a working trip, I am sure the company was james rivers, not far from the US
canadian boarder, Breakfast on the porch sounds cool.

Michigan is very much like GB, surrounded by water, a few large cities with rolling farm land and forrests in between. I think our seasons are a bit more extreme then yours, with 8 inch snow falls in winter, and 85 to 95 degrees in the summer.

hypatia said:
Michigan is very much like GB, surrounded by water, a few large cities with rolling farm land and forrests in between. I think our seasons are a bit more extreme then yours, with 8 inch snow falls in winter, and 85 to 95 degrees in the summer.

That sounds beautiful, 85 to 95 is to warm for me though, but i love snow and
forests and rolling farm land.
The UK is over populated now to many motorways and sprawling development,
i think myself lucky that i still have countryside around me.

My ideal home will be situated in a rural setting ideally Pembroke not only an extremely beautiful place but has some of the darkest skies in the UK. The building will be primary open plan apart from the living quarters which are to be located in the basement (I like the cosy feeling of dark spaces with open fires and when sleeping and am not a big fan being awoken by direct sun light!) the construction is to be of green oak and jointed with a steel plate and pin construction (tradition and contempary materials combined appeals) that said the western wall is glass so as I can enjoy a glass of wine and watch the setting sun. Now the fun, a cinema is a must, large kitchen area with stainless steel work surfaces and appliances the type you find in a good restaurant (I love cooking it’s a great escape!) a driving range and/or 9 hole golf course and I’ve always wanted my own observatory! (I thought too much about this haven’t I?)

I think I would stay in Florida, an area close to the beach but not in danger of storm surge or flooding. Maybe Sarasota.
Exterior: A simple rectangle with wrap-around patio, white porch swing, and garden. Roof is whatever shape fares best in high winds, dome or pyramidial. Floor-to-ceiling windows spaced all around with white shutters (I'll have storm shutters too), the rest probably brick or stone- white. Underground safe room for storms and whatever else.
Interior: No interior walls or attic (ceiling follows shape of roof). Portable room dividers hold prints that I switch out whenever. Large cobalt or royal blue tile, maybe granite or marble. Piano, pool table, lots of big white down pillows. White, more white, rich blues and browns. Flowers from the garden add splashes of color; roses, lilies, orchids, tulips. A mix of Scandinavian modern, modern- clean, polished, crisp, open, no clutter- and British Colonial, New Orleans- charm, elegance.

Last edited:
wolram said:
This sounds gorgeous. I love stone floors and hate carpet. Big fireplace is essential. Exposed beams are heavenly. You have good taste, Wolram.

zoobyshoe said:
This sounds gorgeous. I love stone floors and hate carpet. Big fireplace is essential. Exposed beams are heavenly. You have good taste, Wolram.

Thats made my day, week , month ,Zooby said i have good taste, what a
compliment.

Honestrosewater

I like the swing and underground safe room for whatever, :yuck: must take
another BP pill.

wolram said:
Thats made my day, week , month ,Zooby said i have good taste, what a
compliment.
And now the bad news: when you get this gorgeous cottage, I'll be your housemate.

zoobyshoe said:
And now the bad news: when you get this gorgeous cottage, I'll be your housemate.

Thats ok, i have a list of guests that would have a permanent invite like,
Evo, moonbear, maths is hard, Evo, honestrosewater, Evo, to name but
six, we could all sit around the fire talking intelligent stuff.

wolram said:
Evo, moonbear, maths is hard, Evo, honestrosewater, Evo, to name but
six, we could all sit around the fire talking intelligent stuff.
Hm, I suspect "talking intelligent stuff" is code for "playing strip poker", and "around the fire" means "in the hot tub". And I'm not falling for that again. :tongue2:

wolram said:
Evo, moonbear, maths is hard, Evo, honestrosewater, Evo, to name but six, we could all sit around the fire talking intelligent stuff.
You have excellent taste in Evos, as well as in homes.

honestrosewater said:
Hm, I suspect "talking intelligent stuff" is code for "playing strip poker", and "around the fire" means "in the hot tub". And I'm not falling for that again. :tongue2:
Wolram isn't like that. He's a perfect gentleman.

honestrosewater said:

Ouch, you wound me, i was not speaking in code rose, your company and
conversation are satisfaction enough :biggrin:

Building underground homes — Formworks vs Monolithic

Danger said:
Underground for me.
ultimatesecurehome.com

http://www.ultimatesecurehome.com/images/secure_home_mailslot.jpg
http://www.ultimatesecurehome.com/images/Home_front_big.jpg http://www.ultimatesecurehome.com/images/cupola_stairs.jpg

That is a Formworks home. I like this Monolithic Dome home better, though.
http://www.monolithic.com/gallery/homes/young/
http://bbs.monolithic.com/viewtopic.php?p=6090

http://images.scrippsweb.com/HGTV/2002/12/27/sub-s_2a_e.jpg http://images.scrippsweb.com/HGTV/2002/12/27/sub-s_2b_e.jpg
http://images.scrippsweb.com/HGTV/2002/12/27/sub-s_2c_e.jpg http://images.scrippsweb.com/HGTV/2002/12/27/sub-s_2d_e.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hitssquad.

I think even Danger will cringe at this abode.

wolram said:
Ouch, you wound me, i was not speaking in code rose, your company and
conversation are satisfaction enough :biggrin:
Just joshing, luv. :smile: See, I'm even learning your language.

honestrosewater said:
Just joshing, luv. :smile: See, I'm even learning your language.

How sweet of you, attempting the english slang, it confuses me at times,
good is now wicked, bad is good, and i can not say i am gay any more.
Is slang as prevalent in the US?

I have taken Hypatias, rolling farm land and forests, and relocated it for my
cottage to sit in, with a ruined castle on a hill in the distance.

wolram said:
My dream has always been to live in a small cottage in the woods with a babbling brook. I like Thomas Kinkade paintings of cottages.

http://www.kinkadegalleries.com/images/large/cottage014.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo, does your cottage come with seven dwarfs? Er, little people?

wolram, yes, too much slang to make sense of. And great idea- I want a castle too. There weren't any in Florida that last time I checked, so I'll have to stick a picture of one in the garden and make it small so it looks like it's far away. I think Kilchurn is a great-looking castle.

Last edited:
Thats my cottage, the only thing missing is the distant castle on the sky line,
you have wonderful taste Evo, can you imagine sitting around an open roaring
fire with good friends rapt in conversation cosy and snug.

honestrosewater said:
Evo, does your cottage come with seven dwarfs? Er, little people?
And an evil witch in a nearby castle. :tongue2:
I'm waiting for the arrival of Prince Wolram. :approve:

kilchurn castle it is then Rose, it even has a romantic lake, with such
suroundings who knows what feelings may surface.