Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Your last month on earth

1. Nov 22, 2012 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We were joking about the 2012 end of the world stuff and rootx suggested a thread asking what people are going to do with their last month. So, for the fun of it, what if we really did only have one month until some kind of unavoidable extinction level event wipes out life on the planet? What would you do between now and December 21st?

There is a wonderful movie that deals with the idea of the last night on earth, called Last Night [1998], strangely enough. It was available for streaming at Netflix but is offline at the moment.

Netflix

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2012 #2
    Just read On the beach. People would paint the fence and plant new crops for next year. Life goes on. Anyway I got no time to think about it. I have to hurry to be at Bugarach in time.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  4. Nov 22, 2012 #3
    I'd get my Christmas shopping done.

5. Nov 22, 2012 #4

drizzle

Gold Member

I'd be studying for my coming exam.

6. Nov 22, 2012 #5

Ibix

Science Advisor

A guy on another forum I frequent has a countdown in his sig - X days, X hours, X minutes...until everybody suddenly stops talking about the Maya. :smile:

What would I do if I knew the apocalypse was coming? I've no particular ambitions achievable in this timescale. I would try to be the best man, husband and father I can. Die with my boots on, civilian style, basically. And keep on teaching my son to read - you never know.

7. Nov 22, 2012 #6
    Make things right as much as possible:

I'd apologize to everyone for every stupid action, lie, dishonest act, and wrongful thing I've ever done. I would also thank the people in my life who don't realize how much they have effected me in life.

Spend as much time with my daughter and tell my current girlfriend of 3 years that I'm ultimately grateful for her love towards me-an undeserving fool.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

8. Nov 22, 2012 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I'd spend all of my money buying all of the best foods I've never allowed myself to splurge on, and share with friends and family, one HUGE BINGE. Unfortunately, one month wouldn't be long enough to travel to all of the places I have yet to visit. Besides, who's going to be working?

9. Nov 22, 2012 #8
    That's also on my to-do list :smile:

10. Nov 22, 2012 #9

Evo

They're all going to die and won't remember, go out and have fun instead!

11. Nov 22, 2012 #10

fluidistic

Gold Member

I don't know what I'd do. Maybe buy a ticket for Mars or the Moon since the Earth would be toasted.
    Excuse me for my curiosity but I'd love to hear about some of these "foods". :smile:
    Foods I've never tried but would like to try is ocsypek (borek knows this), a truffle (ok this one is so expensive! I think it's over 1000 dollars for 1 kilogram). And maybe the fugu fish just for fun.

12. Nov 22, 2012 #11
    That's true. Maybe, I should borrow some money from them, buy some expensive food too and elope with all the food to Bora Bora :devil:

13. Nov 22, 2012 #12

Evo

Ooh, I'm coming with you!

14. Nov 22, 2012 #13

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"I'd spend all of my money"

you guys sound like good marks for an end of the world scam.

15. Nov 22, 2012 #14

Evo

LOL! Well, it would have to be REALLY certain. So far I have not been rooked by any of the end of the world scams. :tongue2:

But, never say never. And "all of my money" comes to about $150, unless I don't pay that last month's rent.

16. Nov 22, 2012 #15

Drakkith

I doubt I would live for a month since society would probably break down nearly completely after such a revelation.

17. Nov 22, 2012 #16

Evo

That's really sad. You would think that if the end is here for everyone, everyone would try to make the end the best for all.

But that's just me hoping that humans won't act like humans.

18. Nov 22, 2012 #17
    As far you promise not to eat all my chocolates :uhh:

19. Nov 23, 2012 #18

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yep. I'd be right here on Physics Forums.

20. Nov 23, 2012 #19

Drakkith

Well, its more like the breakdown of the economy. Why go to work when you won't even live for another month? Very soon supplies are gone and you are starving. What then?

21. Nov 23, 2012 #20

Evo

I have enough food in my pantry and freezer/fridge to last more than a month without shopping.

I would raid the gourmet shops for the best items though. I mean, come on, it's the end of the world, what are you saving it for?

Oh and the liquor stores, time to get drunk, eh?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook