Your Local Cuisine

Oops its from Belgium, most results come up when searching "Flemish beef stew" although I'm certain its eating in the French part, Wallonia, as well.
Its a typical dish for a Sunday. And can be often found at diner "parties" thrown as fund raisers by local sports clubs or youth movements.

The recipe I linked actually mentions another very (apparently) very local dessert on the blog, "Smurfentaart" have a look.

Consider my previous post edited.

StatGuy2000
Education Advisor
I did not intend on saying anything about this, hoping that the thread will self-correct. But it appears that that is not going to happen.

I am highly disappointed that this thread has turned into cuisine-bashing. The intent and spirit of this topic was a CELEBRATION of the different and varied local foods from different regions and parts of the world. It is the exact opposite of what is going on right now with this thread. Instead of highlighting the uniqueness of the food from various regions, this has turned into the bashing of the food quality and availability. It is the antithesis of what this thread is all about!

We should have highlighted the truly unique BBQ style that came out of St. Louis and Kansas City, whether we like it or not (after all, I don't care much for the Tom Tom Tamale that is unique to Chicago). Even St. Louis is famous for their flatbread-like pizza that is truly unique to that area. These are what we should be celebrating in this thread, not bashing how awful the food is there or in the "Midwestern Americans".

Go to the "Food" thread, or start your own thread, if you can't appreciate the intent of this topic.

Zz.
Hi ZapperZ. I'm wondering if this comment was directed specifically to my post, but I certainly didn't intend to turn this thread into bashing of the food quality or availability. As a matter of fact, I had posted in this thread largely in jest, in a tongue-in-cheek manner, but perhaps that didn't come through.

I am certainly all for celebrating the different and varied local foods available. The only reason I didn't post anything about local food because I find it really hard to identify what could be consider "local" to Toronto -- I can literally go anywhere in the city and find great food from cuisines from around the world without breaking my bank.

StatGuy2000
Education Advisor
If those nationalities weren't Caucasian it would be called racist. At least that's the trend I see around here w.r.t. (social) media.
As I stated in my response to ZapperZ, I had intended my post to be tongue-in-cheek and in jest. I didn't intend it to provoke people, and frankly didn't expect it would arouse such sentiments.

Evo
Mentor
Hi ZapperZ. I'm wondering if this comment was directed specifically to my post,
No, this is my fault, I started with my post about the lack of good food in KC. I've lived in a number of cities around the country and they all had at least a few really great restaurants. Zz, do you want me to delete my posts and the responses?

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Some time, what makes something unique to a particular area is not the ingredients or the food, but rather how it is served or put together. This is definitely true about the humongous sandwiches served at Primanti Brothers in Pittsburgh, PA.

primanti-bros.jpg

Individually, there's nothing out of the ordinary, but put together the meat, fries, vinegar-based cole slaw, and tomatoes in between the two thick white bread, and you have a Pittsburgh classic. The sandwich was invented quite a while back for truckers so that they could eat it everything with just one hand while driving (obviously, this was before they needed to text-message or talk on cell phones while driving).

Zz.

probably the most famous item from where i grew up would be:
2-smoked-meat_zpsiqapj6ab.jpg
the Montreal Smoke meat sandwich

Likes Digitalism
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
probably the most famous item from where i grew up would be:
2-smoked-meat_zpsiqapj6ab.jpg
the Montreal Smoke meat sandwich
I saw an episode of "Bizarre Foods" when Andrew Zimmern went to Montreal. Isn't your "smoked meat" equivalent to what we in the US call "pastrami"?

Zz.

I saw an episode of "Bizarre Foods" when Andrew Zimmern went to Montreal. Isn't your "smoked meat" equivalent to what we in the US call "pastrami"?

Zz.
yes and no. pastrami is similar yes but the way Montreal smoked meat is made is famous for a reason. the results are like night and day.

and if you want to complete the clogged artery add a poutine with it

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
yes and no. pastrami is similar yes but the way Montreal smoked meat is made is famous for a reason. the results are like night and day.

and if you want to complete the clogged artery add a poutine with it
I definitely have to make sure I try this if I get the chance to visit Montreal... and definitely with poutine. I want to try the duck gravy with my poutine.

Zz.

dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Wanting to keep the topic "Local Cuisine", but just have to say after seeing these:
proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fimageshack.com%2Fa%2Fimg540%2F4400%2FdJ3srm.jpg

oxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.politicspa.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2011%2F01%2Fprimanti-bros.jpg

You have to be one of the luckiest guys on the planet. :oldlove: Just sayin'

Likes Silicon Waffle
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Wanting to keep the topic "Local Cuisine", but just have to say after seeing these:
proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fimageshack.com%2Fa%2Fimg540%2F4400%2FdJ3srm.jpg

oxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.politicspa.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2011%2F01%2Fprimanti-bros.jpg

You have to be one of the luckiest guys on the planet. :oldlove: Just sayin'
I'm half lucky. I've had the waffle sandwich, but haven't had the Primanti Bros sandwich yet.

Zz.

Likes dlgoff
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Some time, what makes something unique to a particular area is not the ingredients or the food, but rather how it is served or put together. This is definitely true about the humongous sandwiches served at Primanti Brothers in Pittsburgh, PA.

primanti-bros.jpg

Individually, there's nothing out of the ordinary, but put together the meat, fries, vinegar-based cole slaw, and tomatoes in between the two thick white bread, and you have a Pittsburgh classic. The sandwich was invented quite a while back for truckers so that they could eat it everything with just one hand while driving (obviously, this was before they needed to text-message or talk on cell phones while driving).

Zz.
Now that is a true Combo meal - except for the drink.

What kind of meat? Corned beef, pastrami, turkey, or just any meat will do? There seems to be a layer between the pinkish meat and fries. Is that, chicken or sliced cheese? Can the coleslaw be substituted with sauerkraut?

The sandwich looks kind of like a Reuben.

I'd like it on rye.

Evo
Mentor
When I grew up In Houston, TX, a small mom and pop grocery store had a counter in the back where they sold they best barbecued beef sandwich in the Universe. I can still taste it even now. I wish I knew their secret, I heard the store no longer exists. You could just lose yourself in one of those.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
When I grew up In Houston, TX, a small mom and pop grocery store had a counter in the back where they sold they best barbecued beef sandwich in the Universe. I can still taste it even now. I wish I knew their secret, I heard the store no longer exists. You could just lose yourself in one of those.
I knew stores like that too. Unfortunately, some children don't continue what their parents or grandparents started or kept going.

Evo
Mentor
I knew stores like that too. Unfortunately, some children don't continue what their parents or grandparents started or kept going.
I guess I can't blame them if running a tiny store wasn't what they wanted, maybe they wanted to be a scientist, an artist, a stay at home mom. The store was destroyed and paved over. So sad. I'd do anything for that recipe, just the right balance of everything, it was locally famous.

When I lived in upstate NY, there was a quaint restaurant called the Canterbury Inn. Yes, it was like an old Inn, huge center fireplace. They served a coconut bread that was to die for.

Last edited:
There was a store in Vermont on the way to Stowe. A gas station general store that made fantastic sandwiches (was probably 35 years ago-ish so doubt it'll be the same) simply to die for all the ingredients were great and together amazing.

Evo
Mentor
When I lived in upstate NY, ther was a quaint restaurant called the Canterbury Inn. Yes, it was like an old Inn, huge center fireplace. They served a coconut bread that was to die for.
OMG, I found it!!! Zz, I love you!!! :bow:

coconut_bread_zoom.jpg

http://adirondackbaker.blogspot.com/2010/06/canterbury-restaurants-coconut-bread.html

CANTERBURY COCONUT BREAD
thanks to Diane Hinckley Loviza

1 cup toasted coconut (spread coconut on sheet pan, toast in 350 oven 15 minutes stirring often)

1 TBS baking powder
1 cup milk
1/4 cup oil
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups unbleached flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg well beaten
3/4 cup sugar

Mix wet ingredients with dry, stir well. Spoon into a greased/floured 9 x 5 x 3 loaf pan

Bake 1 hour @ 350 or until cake tester comes out clean.
They served a coconut bread that was to die for.

Last edited:
Likes Silicon Waffle
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Now that is a true Combo meal - except for the drink.

What kind of meat? Corned beef, pastrami, turkey, or just any meat will do? There seems to be a layer between the pinkish meat and fries. Is that, chicken or sliced cheese? Can the coleslaw be substituted with sauerkraut?

The sandwich looks kind of like a Reuben.

I'd like it on rye.
I think you have several choices of meat. But you gotta have it the way it is, or else you'll get yelled at and someone will tell you that any other way and it is not a Primanti Bros. sandwich! It is as big of a sin as putting ketchup on hot dogs in Chicago. :)

Zz.

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
OMG, I found it!!! Zz, I love you!!! :bow:
Er.. what did I do to receive such affection?

:)

Zz.

wolram
Gold Member
You Yanks eat to much, your sandwiches look like skyscrapers and your servings are way oversized for a Britt:-p

Speaking of hot dogs
p338605895-5.jpg

null.gif

Shucos are usually served with guacamole, boiled cabbage, mayonnaise, mustard, and an assorted choice of meats. Chopped onions are added by a decent amount of shuqueros (hot dog vendors) across Guatemala City and Antigua. The most popular choices of meats are sausage, chorizo (red sausage), salami, longaniza (white sausage), and bacon. They are cooked in a carbon grill and hot sauce is offered at customer’s request.

Likes Silicon Waffle
Pythagorean
Gold Member
Being from Alaska, salmon and king crab was a regular occurrence.

Now that I'm in an international ghetto in Canada and most of my neighbors are Saudi or Egyptian, I've had Kofta, baba ghanoush, chicken balsa, and Pillsbury dough boy crouscants wrapped around cream cheese. The Saudi family who's daughter was good friends with my daughter ate a lot of spaghetti too.