What are some local dishes in your area?

In summary, Chicago-style deep dish pizza is a regional favorite, while the Chicago Italian Beef sandwich is not as well-known outside of the Chicago area. The Milwaukee community is one of the largest ethnic Icelander communities in the US, and there is a strong Asian influence on food.
You Yanks eat to much, your sandwiches look like skyscrapers and your servings are way oversized for a Britt:-p

Physics news on Phys.org
Speaking of hot dogs
p338605895-5.jpg

null.gif

Shucos are usually served with guacamole, boiled cabbage, mayonnaise, mustard, and an assorted choice of meats. Chopped onions are added by a decent amount of shuqueros (hot dog vendors) across Guatemala City and Antigua. The most popular choices of meats are sausage, chorizo (red sausage), salami, longaniza (white sausage), and bacon. They are cooked in a carbon grill and hot sauce is offered at customer’s request.

Likes Silicon Waffle
Being from Alaska, salmon and king crab was a regular occurrence.

Now that I'm in an international ghetto in Canada and most of my neighbors are Saudi or Egyptian, I've had Kofta, baba ghanoush, chicken balsa, and Pillsbury dough boy crouscants wrapped around cream cheese. The Saudi family who's daughter was good friends with my daughter ate a lot of spaghetti too.

Also, I am not sure if this is something native to Los Angeles or not, but two things come to mind.

1. Spicy Ketchup

Take ketchup and blend it with chinese red peppers. I am not sure how it was prepared exactly, but it is delicious especially on fries.

2. There was a reataurant here called Thaitalian that had an amazing invention. Mozarella stick egg rolls! Combine with marinara and/or a thai sauce similar to spring roll sauce for dipping = yum!

P.S.

#3 Let's not forget Chicken & Waffles!

Chicken_and_waffles_with_peaches_and_cream.jpg

Likes Silicon Waffle
I have never had a chance to eat any of those seemingly delicious dishes. :drooling: :H

Likes Digitalism and dlgoff
I just saw this on TV and it reminded me that I had this one before at one of the many ethnic restaurants in Chicago. It is Slovenia's Bled Cream cake.

Blejska_kremsnita_003_orig.jpg

Oh my lord, I've never had anything like it since! I was told that, as good as the one I had, the authentic one made in Bled, Slovenia, is even better! It depressed me because I don't know if I'll ever get there!

Zz.

Likes dlgoff
I've had this many times since it is a popular street item in Malaysia and Singapore. It is a drink called "Teh Tarik" or pulled tea. ("Teh"=tea, while "tarik"=pull). It is a strong Indian tea mixed with sweetened condensed milk. Nothing exotic so far, but it is the finishing touch they do to the tea that makes it fun. See for yourself:

While it is great to look at, the reason why this is done is to cool it off just a bit so that the customer can drink it, but it also aerates the drink (very much like slurping when you drink wine) and actually "blooms" the flavor of the tea.

Zz.

We love spicy dishes, and one of the cuisine that is our favorite is Korean food. While the typical Korean restaurant in the US have the bulgogi, etc., I tend to go for the ones that I see other Korean patrons go for. And one thing for sure, they love their soups!

My most favorite Korean soup is something called Yukgaejang, which is a spicy, shredded beef soup. Oh my! If they ask you for the level of spiciness, and you tell them to make it authentic, be prepared to have plenty of napkins, because you will have plenty of flop sweat! But it is not all heat. It is very tasty, and we slurped on the broth till it is all gone!
6LKuty.jpg

Another dish that isn't common, but something I like quite a bit is the cold noodle dish. I forgot what this one is called, but it is a spicy cold noodle dish with vegetables. It is also mixed with kimchee spices and has a nice, pungent aroma and taste.
9UnLlI.jpg

And of course, you can't have Korean food without sampling the banchan, the side dishes that comes with your meal. I can just eat these things with rice and I would be happy.
nVcW7c.jpg

My favorite Korean restaurant around here is very old school. They still use charcoal grill, not gas grill, at your table when you order something that you cook for yourself, such as the bulgogi. You don't find those that often.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
We love spicy dishes, and one of the cuisine that is our favorite is Korean food. While the typical Korean restaurant in the US have the bulgogi, etc., I tend to go for the ones that I see other Korean patrons go for. And one thing for sure, they love their soups!

My most favorite Korean soup is something called Yukgaejang, which is a spicy, shredded beef soup. Oh my! If they ask you for the level of spiciness, and you tell them to make it authentic, be prepared to have plenty of napkins, because you will have plenty of flop sweat! But it is not all heat. It is very tasty, and we slurped on the broth till it is all gone!
6LKuty.jpg

Another dish that isn't common, but something I like quite a bit is the cold noodle dish. I forgot what this one is called, but it is a spicy cold noodle dish with vegetables. It is also mixed with kimchee spices and has a nice, pungent aroma and taste.
9UnLlI.jpg

And of course, you can't have Korean food without sampling the banchan, the side dishes that comes with your meal. I can just eat these things with rice and I would be happy.
nVcW7c.jpg

My favorite Korean restaurant around here is very old school. They still use charcoal grill, not gas grill, at your table when you order something that you cook for yourself, such as the bulgogi. You don't find those that often.

Zz.

It's curious that your banchan doesn't seem to include kimchi, as far as I can see in the photos you've submitted -- in every Korean restaurant I've ever eaten, kimchi is always included. BTW, the other two dishes look very good -- I'll try and see if I could order it when I visit some Korean restaurants (there are many such restaurants in Toronto).

StatGuy2000 said:
It's curious that your banchan doesn't seem to include kimchi, as far as I can see in the photos you've submitted -- in every Korean restaurant I've ever eaten, kimchi is always included. BTW, the other two dishes look very good -- I'll try and see if I could order it when I visit some Korean restaurants (there are many such restaurants in Toronto).

Kimchee: Middle row, far right. The cabbage leaves have been arranged and flattened down.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Kimchee: Middle row, far right. The cabbage leaves have been arranged and flattened down.

Zz.

Ah, I see it now. The arrangement looked different than the way I'm used to. :biggrin: