Your most amazing coincidence

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    coincidence
In summary, my brother-in-law trapped a ferret near a pond, using a wire mesh trap like a Havahart. He called me and told me that the ferret was wild and impossible to handle, but that if I wanted to rehabilitate it, I could have it. We had other ferrets and had "rescued" several from some bad homes, so I decided to take on the challenge. When I got to his place, the ferret was still in the trap, so I talked to her a bit and she came right over to me. I opened the door, picked her up and held her
Loren Booda
Whether probability or luck, the psychological or psychic, scepticism or faith, physics or metaphysics, what is your greatest apparently synchronistic experience?

Physics news on Phys.org
One time my toast and eggs were done at the exact same time.

A buddy and I once got lost in the desert on our motorcycles. There were miles and miles [actually, hundreds of miles south and east] of sand dunes amongst which one could get lost in very short order. Then, while working a search pattern, my buddy George and I got separated. After riding and searching for quite a long time I was starting to get really worried. It was well over a hundred degrees and I was in the middle of nowhere with no water on my bike. Even if I found my way back, what to do then? I had no idea where George could be as I hadn't heard the echoes from his bike for a long time. And it didn't take long before I was running low on gas. Finally, as I felt a slight twinge of panic setting in, with no idea where I was, I came around a dune and saw the pick-up truck right in front of me. At precisely the same time, I saw George coming from the opposite direction!

I was playing an online game and I met someone and played with them then later found out they were my real-life friend.

In his teenage years my older brother spend a lot of time fly fishing on one of the local (but world class) streams. During this time he came to be very good friends of the son of the people who ran a Inn on the River, over time he sort of became one of the family. After more time our families became pretty good friends. To the extend that after our father passed away, my (then) 9 year old younger brother (There is 15yrs between him and our oldest brother)spend several summers living with them because mom was working and there was no one at home to watch after a very active inquisitive 9 yr old.

That was all like 30yrs ago. Recently my Mom was visiting these friends when a genealogy discussion started. All were quite surprised to learn that they were researching the SAME ancestor. After all these years we find that we are related... OK so it is 4 or 5 generations back and they still have not worked out the exact link but the fact is we have common ancestors.

Life is strange.

That I wake up and find my glasses by my side.

It was 1982. I just bought the new "Gang of Four" record "Songs of the Free" and I was playing it while reading my English assignment, Conrad's "Heart of Darkness." Not a good idea to read literature while listening to music, but whatever, right?

Anyway, I was reading and listening. As track 3 was playing I was midway through the book, and at exactly the moment I read these words, the refrain of the song came on singing exactly the same words: "We live as we dream, alone." The title of the song was taken from the line in the book I was reading.

I was very spooked.

My brother-in-law trapped a ferret near a pond, using a wire mesh trap like a Havahart. He called me and told me that the ferret was wild and impossible to handle, but that if I wanted to rehabilitate it, I could have it. We had other ferrets and had "rescued" several from some bad homes, so I decided to take on the challenge. When I got to his place, the ferret was still in the trap, so I talked to her a bit and she came right over to me. I opened the door, picked her up and held her to my chest and she snuggled her face into my shirt. I put her in our big carry-cage with food and water, but she wasn't interested in that - as I drove her home, she just kept watching me and poking her nose out at me, sniffing. I said "boy are you nosy" and she seemed to react, so I decided that we would call her Rosie (Nosy just wasn't feminine enough!). I took her home and she quickly became my wife's favorite. A couple of weeks later, I got a call from a relative saying that there was a "lost ferret" poster in a local store, and she gave me the telephone number on the poster. I called, and a lady identified herself and said that she and her husband and son had lost their ferret. They lived not far from the pond where she was trapped and they let her out every morning and she would return in the evening to come in for the night. I asked if she could describe the ferret and she did so, right down to the little healed scar by her left eye. When I said "we have your ferret" she screamed to her son "They've got Rosie!"

I ended up marrying one of my best friend's cousins. We dated for almost 6 months before they met and realized they not only knew each other, but were related.

-GeoMike-

I don't know if anyone has experienced this or not. Sometimes I feel that the sequence of actions that I am doing just now have already occurred in the past just in that same sequence. I get out into thinking when that had occurred but I don't remember. I have experienced this a few times and I am pretty sure others might have also experienced it.

AlbertEinstein said:
I don't know if anyone has experienced this or not. Sometimes I feel that the sequence of actions that I am doing just now have already occurred in the past just in that same sequence. I get out into thinking when that had occurred but I don't remember. I have experienced this a few times and I am pretty sure others might have also experienced it.
Sure. Isn't that deja vu? It doesn't happen for more than a few seconds, though.

Wow! Some of the incidents are REALLY AMAZING!

I think Turbo's Rosie story is the best! That ferret must have REALLY looked like a Rosie. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
I think Turbo's Rosie story is the best! That ferret must have REALLY looked like a Rosie. :biggrin:
She had sable coloration and a pink nose that always sniffing things. Maybe that's how her owners came up with the name (nosy=Rosie?), lessening the "amazing" coincidence to just "wow". I didn't think to ask them when they came to pick her up because my wife was crying her eyes out and I didn't want to drag things out any longer with socializing.

Aww...that's the hardest part of taking in strays...sometimes their owners do appear and it's always JUST as you start getting attached to the newcomer in the home. :frown:

Moonbear said:
Aww...that's the hardest part of taking in strays...sometimes their owners do appear and it's always JUST as you start getting attached to the newcomer in the home. :frown:
It had been a couple of weeks and she and my wife had bonded almost immediately. Rosie was pretty tough and scrappy and could hold her own with our tribe of ferrets, but she shadowed my wife and always wanted to be cuddled. Rosie's owners wanted to give us a reward for returning her - my wife wanted to give THEM money if they let us keep her. She told me to START at $1000. I just couldn't do that. Rosie used to sleep every night with the little boy and he had been heartbroken without her. They were very nice people, unlike the jerk that I rescued Stormy from. I called her that because I drove 50 miles in a blizzard responding to an ad saying that there was a ferret to be given away. When I got there, the jerk demanded that I also buy her cage for $50 or he wouldn't give her to me. Anybody that would leave a ferret in a cage all day is a a big enough jerk that I didn't want to leave her with him, so I paid him and took her (and the cage) home. We kept the cage, and since it was big with multiple levels we rigged it with toys, hammocks made from pant-legs and other stuff. At first, Stormy didn't want to go into the cage at all, but when she saw our other ferrets playing in it, she started thinking of it as a playground instead of a jail.

My wife bought Ruby from a dumpy pet store in the next town. She had been cage-bound and was skinny with patchy thin fur. We got her all healthy and found her a good home with another rescue ferret that we had taken in (they had become really close, so we couldn't separate them and had to find a family that would take two ferrets). The other ferret was Star, a beautiful chubby albino that we rescued from another jerk, who had named her Rats and kept her caged all day while his iguana got the run of the house trailer. We were kind of an unofficial ferret-rescue for a number of years, and had to deal with the good and the bad, but giving up Rosie was a hard one for my wife.

Last edited:
Is that a ferret in your avatar, turbo?

neutrino said:
Is that a ferret in your avatar, turbo?
Yes it is. He was our last ferret, Turbo. He was the most amazing little guy - we got him from a breeder that got his mother from New Zealand and his father from Sweden (just keeping the gene pool more complex). We had ferret-proofed the house for the many, many ferrets we had over the years (we started with ferrets way before they became fashionable about 15 years ago), but this little guy was a fuzzy Houdini. He could get into anything - he was patient, persistent, and inventive.

We have decided not to get any more ferrets - their life span is rather short (generally less than 8 years) and it's really heartbreaking for me and my wife to have to deal with that, especially with Turbo. Another tough one to let go of was Jasmine, our first female. When our first gang of ferrets started dying off one by one, she would search for them. When our youngest (and largest) had a stroke, he lost his control over his legs on the left side. Hoping he would regain use of them, I set up a nice bed in a carry-cage in the living room with food and water in the cage. Jasmine wouldn't hear of it. She would go to the cage, and prop up Bugsy leaning into his left side and walk him over to the litter-box so he could use the facilities, and then help him to their regular water-bottle and food dish in the kitchen so he could eat and drink at their regular place, then she would help him back to the cage so he could rest, and only then did she go eat and drink. What a cute little nurse! And strong, too, because she weighed less than 1-1/2# and he was 3#. After a few more weeks, he developed congestive heart failure, and Jasmine was left alone. Believe me, we treated her like a little princess, especially when she was the lone ferret - we had always kept our upstairs blocked off to the ferrets, so we could sleep in peace, but with just Jasmine, and no companions to make a racket with, we let her come and go freely, and she spent almost all her time upstairs, coming down mostly for food, water and to use the litter box or to visit with us when we were sitting in the living room listening to music, etc.

wow turbo. You mustve been a ferret in ur past life or something. haha jk.

Loren Booda said:
Whether probability or luck, the psychological or psychic, scepticism or faith, physics or metaphysics, what is your greatest apparently synchronistic experience?
Me and my girlfriend experienced a simoultaneous orgasm.

tehno said:
Me and my girlfriend experienced a simoultaneous orgasm.
Were you in different bedrooms at the time, or are you still seeing each other?

We were separated by a distance of aprox 1 mm.

I just found out that my uncle in Los Angeles had a rather serious collision on the freeway the other day. He is pretty much okay, but he was hit from behind by a car traveling about 80 mph. As it turns out, the guy who hit him has my wife's old job and was on his way to the hospital for an emergency.

Ivan, that's crazy!

That reminds me of a car accident a few years ago. It was around 11:00PM and I was out with some friends when we noticed that there was an odd amount of cars on the road... We look to where they are leading and there is a bunch of red and blue flashing lights. We don't really know if it's a car accident or what just yet... Anyway, so my friend said to me, "Dude, my uncle was driving that way earlier, I hope it wasn't him in an accident or something"... I shrugged it off and thought 'yeah, what are the odds of that'. Probably 20 minutes later, we decided to go over there and check it out. We get closer and we see in the distance that there is an SUV rolled over on the side of the road. As we get closer and you can start to make out the model of SUV it is, my friend says "Hey... that's my Uncle's truck"... We get there and he tries to talk to a few people there who just tell him that family has been notified. He calls his parents, and yup, it was his uncle in the SUV who got hit by a drunk driver in a black Honda...

I keep waking up just in time to catch my classes when my alarm doesn't work.

Of course, it would be nicer if I had more than 5 minutes to jump out of bed, get dressed, grab stuff, and get to class (5 minute walk). Doesn't help that my hair does that thing where one side sticks out and the other side sticks to my head.

Noting the avatar, it was rather amusing to discover that a subject now of great interest to me - the production of biodiesel from algae - has its origins in a twenty-year research program called The Aquatic Species Program, which was based in...Roswell, New Mexico.

Just after I started working at my current job, a colleague of mine told me that a friend of his from Japan was coming to visit. It turned out the person was a close friend of mine when I lived in Japan some 10 years earlier.

This was flukey. By chance, having not seen it in a very long time, today my wife and I watched Mary Poppins; staring Julie Andrews, of course. This was on FMC or a channel nearby. During a commercial break they went to a new commercial for autos that uses a song from The Sound of Music; staring Julie Andrews, of course. A little later, we noticed that The Sound of Music was playing on ABC.

Like the Devil would say when granting a wish in the original Bedazzled movie: "Julie Andrews!"

turbo-1 said:
We have decided not to get any more ferrets - their life span is rather short (generally less than 8 years) and it's really heartbreaking for me and my wife to have to deal with that, especially with Turbo.

Though you won't get anymore you may want to go to "Ferret Owner Forum" to share your valuable experience and advice to other ferret owners.

http://www.neeps.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=10;hardset=10;start_point=0

I went to a concert (Moody Blues, Beach Boys, and The Fix) at Alpine Valley. During the Moody Blues me and my X were standing just behind the paid seats and she did not like the people we were around so we moved way up the hill and sat on the grass. Well I was bummed because the Beach Boys were just about to start and I could hardly see the stage. Well just then a couple came up the hill and asked if I would like there tickets, 3rd roll center. They just came to see the Moody Blues. Well we took there tickets and enjoyed the rest of the concert. 12 years later I was devoiced and living back in my home town Tichigan Lake, one night I went to the local bar to have a few drinks. I went and played some Moody Blues and Beach Boys on the jukebox and sat down at the bar and the girl next to me started up a conversation about a concert she went to at Alpine Valley. It was the same girl that gave us the tickets. Tichigan Lake is a very small place and she just happen to end up at that bar on that night (se had never been there before) and just happened to start talking to the guy next to her which was me.
I often think back on this and think of all the things that had to occur for this to happen. Strange!

Is it also coincidence that I seem to put an end to threads and no one ever replies again?
I was telling a friend about the story above and it reminded me of this post so I came here to see if any other stories were added.

My most amazing coincidence that I can remember isn't actually that great a coincidence...

I wanted to hang out with friends, so I called my work and told them that I was sick with a stomach problem that day (DON'T JUDGE ME!). And lo and behold, five hours later as I was driving home, I started to feel queasy...

Luckily, nothing ever came out of the incident, literally or metaphorically.

Char. Limit said:
My most amazing coincidence that I can remember isn't actually that great a coincidence...

I wanted to hang out with friends, so I called my work and told them that I was sick with a stomach problem that day (DON'T JUDGE ME!). And lo and behold, five hours later as I was driving home, I started to feel queasy...

Luckily, nothing ever came out of the incident, literally or metaphorically.

Once, years ago, I called out sick because I was not feeling well though I was not really so unwell that I could not go to work. Later in the evening I felt better and a friend asked if I wanted to go to a party so I said sure. After I got there and got myself a drink I found that I was apparently in my supervisor's apartment. There were a lot of people there and the party was shut down by the police shortly later so I never actually had contact with her. She never mentioned anything about it at work.

AlbertEinstein said:

Yeah, that happens to me sometimes. What's really weird is when it happens and you later in fact do the same set of actions and you get deja vu plus a memory of your original deja vu.

<h2>1. How did the coincidence occur?</h2><p>The coincidence occurred when I was conducting an experiment in the lab. I accidentally mixed two chemicals together that I had never combined before, and the reaction resulted in a completely unexpected outcome.</p><h2>2. Was the coincidence beneficial or harmful?</h2><p>The coincidence turned out to be beneficial. It led to a breakthrough discovery in my research and has the potential to greatly impact the scientific community.</p><h2>3. Did you have any prior knowledge or suspicion of the coincidence?</h2><p>No, I had no prior knowledge or suspicion of the coincidence. It was a completely unexpected event that took me by surprise.</p><h2>4. Have you been able to replicate the coincidence?</h2><p>Yes, I have been able to replicate the coincidence multiple times in my experiments. This has allowed me to further study and understand the phenomenon.</p><h2>5. How has this coincidence affected your research and career?</h2><p>This coincidence has greatly impacted my research and career. It has opened up new avenues for exploration and has garnered attention from other scientists in the field. It has also solidified my reputation as a reputable and innovative scientist.</p>

1. How did the coincidence occur?

The coincidence occurred when I was conducting an experiment in the lab. I accidentally mixed two chemicals together that I had never combined before, and the reaction resulted in a completely unexpected outcome.

2. Was the coincidence beneficial or harmful?

The coincidence turned out to be beneficial. It led to a breakthrough discovery in my research and has the potential to greatly impact the scientific community.

3. Did you have any prior knowledge or suspicion of the coincidence?

No, I had no prior knowledge or suspicion of the coincidence. It was a completely unexpected event that took me by surprise.

4. Have you been able to replicate the coincidence?

Yes, I have been able to replicate the coincidence multiple times in my experiments. This has allowed me to further study and understand the phenomenon.

5. How has this coincidence affected your research and career?

This coincidence has greatly impacted my research and career. It has opened up new avenues for exploration and has garnered attention from other scientists in the field. It has also solidified my reputation as a reputable and innovative scientist.