Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Your most favorite author

1. Jun 18, 2004 #1
    Who's your most favorite author?
    Please give both a nonfiction author and a fiction writer.
    Mine is Stan Gibilisco (for his books on math and science) and Ernest Hemmingway (truly, I think he's the best ever).
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2004 #2

Science Advisor

I don't read much fiction anymore, but back in my teens Arthur Clarke was the man. Back then Asimov's science essays were among my favorite nonfiction. These days, I might go with Richard Rhodes.
  4. Jun 18, 2004 #3
    Ray Bradbury.

Non-fiction, uh.. I don't even know who writes most of the non-fiction I read!

5. Jun 18, 2004 #4
    Non-fiction: Captain Anthony Farrar-Hockley.
    Fiction: George Orwell.
  6. Jun 18, 2004 #5
    Non-Fiction: Hmm.. I have no idea who wrote most of the non-fiction books I read lol :rolleyes:
    Fiction: Definately Douglas Adams :biggrin:
  7. Jun 18, 2004 #6
    Fiction: Kerouac/Hemmingway.
    Non-Fiction: Same as Griz.
  8. Jun 18, 2004 #7
    Fiction: The-guy-you-never-heard-of
    Non-Fiction: The-guy-I-never-heard-of

An irrelevant question by the way: Almost everyone in this forum writes "definately" and I stumble on it every time, isn't it "definitely"? ...I mean, I usually trust my dictionary, but in this case...you are just so many, and I don't know!
  9. Jun 18, 2004 #8
    Fiction: William Shakespeare
    Non-fiction: I don't remember which books I've read which are Non-fiction. Probably none, or few.
  10. Jun 18, 2004 #9

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Fiction genre: SF: OSC
    fine literature: Annie Proulx
    Dead author: Hemmingway
    Dead foreign author: Nabokov

Non-fiction: Tim Cahill is currently arm-wrestling with Bill Bryson for that one
  11. Jun 18, 2004 #10
    I've got a friend who adores the Bible. I was wondering that if she were to post here, who she would list her favourite author to be?
  12. Jun 18, 2004 #11

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's spelled 'definitely'.

It's one of those words where I know the correct spelling after messing it up for years, but I still type it incorrectly almost every time.
  13. Jun 18, 2004 #12

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A few of my favorites...

SF : Adams, Asimov
    F : Clancy
    NF : Crease & Mann

Recently read The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown - really enjoyed it.
  14. Jun 18, 2004 #13

Science Advisor

Fiction, hard to pick just one. Probably Elmore Leonard.

Non-fiction is easy, Barbara Tuchman.

15. Jun 18, 2004 #14
    Fiction: Jorge Luis Borges (Stanislaw Lem, Thomas Mann)
    Non-Fiction: Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche (Soren Kierkegaard, Richard Dawkins)
  16. Jun 18, 2004 #15
    Fiction: Ivan Seeking

Non-Fiction: Chroot
  17. Jun 18, 2004 #16

Staff: Mentor

Fiction - Isaac Asimov's Dr Urth stories.

Non-Fiction - Michael Wood's "In search of" histories, The Dark Ages, Domesday: A search for the roots of England, too many to list.

and zooby's selection
  18. Jun 19, 2004 #17
    Anyone ever read "For Whom The Bell Tolls" by Hemingway. I just finished it yesterday...and its just killer! I am madly in love with this book. If you haven't read it, your missing out on some serious drama. Its the best book. I've read Dickens and others, but this book is like totally amazing. Its author, after all, won the Nobel Prize in Lit.
  19. Jun 21, 2004 #18
    Fiction: JRR Tolkien
    Nonfiction:Gustave Flaubert
  20. Jun 21, 2004 #19
    I can't stand Tolkien. I can't believe people will actually read and enjoy a long story about wizards (that's never been done!) or fat-ass midgets that don't wear shoes, like to drink and smoke blunts...eeer, 'pipe weed' I mean. Two completely different things :rolleyes:

Fiction: Michael Crichton, Fyodor Dostoevsky (non-science related)
    Non-Fiction: David Suzuki
  21. Jun 21, 2004 #20
    Non-fiction: Asimov. I wonder how he had so many time to write the large amounts of books (sci-fi and not sci-fi), that he wrote
    Fiction: Clarke. I've read the 4 books of the Space Oddissey series. ANd he was a science person: he was the first person to propose communication satellites
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?