Who are your favorite authors in both nonfiction and fiction?

• Thread starter Imparcticle
  • Start date
In summary: Earth and Mars.Non-fiction: I don't remember which books I've read which are Non-fiction. Probably none, or few.In summary, Ray Bradbury is an excellent author who has written many great books.
Imparcticle
Who's your most favorite author?
Please give both a nonfiction author and a fiction writer.
Mine is Stan Gibilisco (for his books on math and science) and Ernest Hemmingway (truly, I think he's the best ever).

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't read much fiction anymore, but back in my teens Arthur Clarke was the man. Back then Asimov's science essays were among my favorite nonfiction. These days, I might go with Richard Rhodes.

Ray Bradbury.

Non-fiction, uh.. I don't even know who writes most of the non-fiction I read!

cookiemonster

Non-fiction: Captain Anthony Farrar-Hockley.
Fiction: George Orwell.

Non-Fiction: Hmm.. I have no idea who wrote most of the non-fiction books I read lol :rolleyes:
Fiction: Definately Douglas Adams :biggrin:

Fiction: Kerouac/Hemmingway.
Non-Fiction: Same as Griz.

Fiction: The-guy-you-never-heard-of
Non-Fiction: The-guy-I-never-heard-of

An irrelevant question by the way: Almost everyone in this forum writes "definately" and I stumble on it every time, isn't it "definitely"? ...I mean, I usually trust my dictionary, but in this case...you are just so many, and I don't know!

Fiction: William Shakespeare
Non-fiction: I don't remember which books I've read which are Non-fiction. Probably none, or few.

Fiction genre: SF: OSC
fine literature: Annie Proulx
Dead author: Hemmingway
Dead foreign author: Nabokov

Non-fiction: Tim Cahill is currently arm-wrestling with Bill Bryson for that one

I've got a friend who adores the Bible. I was wondering that if she were to post here, who she would list her favourite author to be?

kuengb said:
An irrelevant question by the way: Almost everyone in this forum writes "definately" and I stumble on it every time, isn't it "definitely"? ...I mean, I usually trust my dictionary, but in this case...you are just so many, and I don't know!

It's spelled 'definitely'.

It's one of those words where I know the correct spelling after messing it up for years, but I still type it incorrectly almost every time.

A few of my favorites...

SF : Adams, Asimov
F : Clancy
NF : Crease & Mann

Recently read The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown - really enjoyed it.

Fiction, hard to pick just one. Probably Elmore Leonard.

Non-fiction is easy, Barbara Tuchman.

Njorl

Fiction: Jorge Luis Borges (Stanislaw Lem, Thomas Mann)
Non-Fiction: Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche (Soren Kierkegaard, Richard Dawkins)

Fiction: Ivan Seeking

Non-Fiction: Chroot

Fiction - Isaac Asimov's Dr Urth stories.

Non-Fiction - Michael Wood's "In search of" histories, The Dark Ages, Domesday: A search for the roots of England, too many to list.

and zooby's selection

Anyone ever read "For Whom The Bell Tolls" by Hemingway. I just finished it yesterday...and its just killer! I am madly in love with this book. If you haven't read it, your missing out on some serious drama. Its the best book. I've read Dickens and others, but this book is like totally amazing. Its author, after all, won the Nobel Prize in Lit.

Fiction: JRR Tolkien
Nonfiction:Gustave Flaubert

I can't stand Tolkien. I can't believe people will actually read and enjoy a long story about wizards (that's never been done!) or fat-ass midgets that don't wear shoes, like to drink and smoke blunts...eeer, 'pipe weed' I mean. Two completely different things :rolleyes:

Fiction: Michael Crichton, Fyodor Dostoevsky (non-science related)
Non-Fiction: David Suzuki

Non-fiction: Asimov. I wonder how he had so many time to write the large amounts of books (sci-fi and not sci-fi), that he wrote
Fiction: Clarke. I've read the 4 books of the Space Oddissey series. ANd he was a science person: he was the first person to propose communication satellites

1. Who is your favorite author?

My favorite author is J.K. Rowling.

2. What genre does your favorite author write?

J.K. Rowling primarily writes fantasy and young adult literature.

3. What are some of your favorite books by your favorite author?

Some of my favorite books by J.K. Rowling are the Harry Potter series, The Casual Vacancy, and The Cuckoo's Calling (written under the pseudonym Robert Galbraith).

4. What makes your favorite author stand out to you?

I admire J.K. Rowling's ability to create complex and captivating worlds with unique and relatable characters. I also appreciate her use of symbolism and themes in her writing.

5. Have you met your favorite author in person?

No, I have not had the opportunity to meet J.K. Rowling in person, but I hope to one day.