Your most profound supernatural experience

3,073
3
From the panoply of metaphysical beings, places and perceptions, what personal event has brought you to an understanding outside the world of conventional reality?
 
728
13
i partially healed my eyes with qi gong meditation. basically i just thought about my eyes & my vision now is a better than it was; i don't really need my glasses to see things far away anymore. at first i thought it was a bit crackpot but now i'm a believer. i'm not sure what the mind/body connection is. i guess that would be outside the conventional (western) reality.
 
Last edited:

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
818
14
childbirth without pain meds...
 

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
7,093
174
pain meds...
 

brewnog

Science Advisor
Gold Member
2,701
7
Ivan Seeking said:
pain meds...

Seconded! :wink:
 
58
0
When i got hit on the head. Or that time with the cough medication.
 

brewnog

Science Advisor
Gold Member
2,701
7
I saw a UFO once. There were 3 bright balls, dancing around the sky above the horizon at what appeared to be about 3 miles. After a while, one of them shot off skyward at a vast rate of knots, and the other two seemed to disappear.

I only say UFO because I have no idea what it actually was, I've thought of a few possibilities but have never really been able to explain it. I wouldn't say it brought me to a greater understanding of the outside world, but once I'd realised that I couldn't easily explain it, it opened my mind a little, and made me slightly less sceptical of other such tales.
 

cronxeh

Gold Member
949
10
heh.. Ivan ate Kerrie's meds?

umm.. lets see.. I'm having synchronicities a few times a day, sometimes I experience seriously weird de ja vus - and its like the prehistory was compacted into a fraction of a second and then unpacked into my brain. Somehow the course of at least a few hours worth of different history is seen by me - or at least remembered - for a second, and then it just disappears. All you are left to ponder is what changed from last time compared to current events
 

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
7,093
174
brewnog said:
I saw a UFO once. There were 3 bright balls, dancing around the sky above the horizon at what appeared to be about 3 miles. After a while, one of them shot off skyward at a vast rate of knots, and the other two seemed to disappear.

I only say UFO because I have no idea what it actually was, I've thought of a few possibilities but have never really been able to explain it. I wouldn't say it brought me to a greater understanding of the outside world, but once I'd realised that I couldn't easily explain it, it opened my mind a little, and made me slightly less sceptical of other such tales.
Its funny that you would mention that in the context of this thread. There are quite a few examples of people who describe a UFO sighting as a spiritual, life changing experience. In fact, some become so obsessed afterwards that it virtually or literally ruins their life [from an outsider's point of view]. A few who claim this are well known "crackpots" in the UFO field.
 

brewnog

Science Advisor
Gold Member
2,701
7
Ivan Seeking said:
Its funny that you would mention that in the context of this thread. There are quite a few examples of people who describe a UFO sighting as a spiritual, life changing experience. In fact, some become so obsessed afterwards that it virtually or literally ruins their life. A few who claim this are well known "crackpots" in the UFO field.
Well I have absolutely no idea what it was, and absolutely no way of ever finding out what it was. A few of my friends saw it too, but it seemed to be right over our city, and there was no public outcry about it, so it can't have been anything massive, - those close to where it appeared to be would surely have noticed?

I can't say it felt spiritual or life changing, but it confused the hell out of me. I've always been a really inquisitive kid, and if I ever wanted to know something, I'd make sure I found it out. Hence it was a bit weird to encounter something which I couldn't find a rational, plausible explanation for.
 

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
7,093
174
For those who don't already know, Tsu and I experienced what many would consider a haunting. It is the only concrete experience that I have had where something "supernatural" seemed to be involved. I make no claims as to what it was, but I know what happened. I have had other experiences that makes me wonder, but nothing that even appoaches the lever of certainty that I have about the events mentioned above.
 
Last edited:

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,349
51
brewnog said:
I saw a UFO once. There were 3 bright balls, dancing around the sky above the horizon at what appeared to be about 3 miles. After a while, one of them shot off skyward at a vast rate of knots, and the other two seemed to disappear.
I saw something like that once, and just sat watching for quite some time trying to figure out what I was looking at. I finally decided to point it out to a friend, who promptly informed me I was looking in the direction of an airforce base. :redface: Probably nothing more than a helicopter, or search lights. :rolleyes:
 

brewnog

Science Advisor
Gold Member
2,701
7
Ivan Seeking said:
For those who don't already know, Tsu and I experienced what many would consider a haunting. It is the only concrete experience that I have had where something "supernatural" seemed to be involved. I make no claims as to what it was, but I know what happened. I have had other experiences that makes me wonder, but nothing that even appoaches the lever of certainty that I have about the events mentioned above.
I suppose that could have been quite disconcerting. I imagine you as having a similar kind of questioning mind as myself (and indeed, being a scientific forum, many other members here). What actually happened, I'm interested now! :smile:

Until I saw my 'UFO', I viewed pretty much all reports of any such thing as lies, hoaxes, or just regular events which were somehow misinterpreted. I was a complete sceptic of anything which didn't have a rational explanation.

It's a bit different when it actually happens to you though, isn't it?
 

brewnog

Science Advisor
Gold Member
2,701
7
Moonbear said:
I saw something like that once, and just sat watching for quite some time trying to figure out what I was looking at. I finally decided to point it out to a friend, who promptly informed me I was looking in the direction of an airforce base. :redface: Probably nothing more than a helicopter, or search lights. :rolleyes:
Yeah, I went over and over what I'd seen for hours, over weeks. I got maps out, I went to the library to look for reports of similar occurances. I managed to rule out everything. It took me a long time to accept that I'd probably never be able to explain it.
 

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
7,093
174
Oh, I was going to dig up the thread, but basically it comes down to this. In addition to the occasional, sudden onset of the strong smell of flowers in an isolated environment, Tsu and I, on two separate occasions, while each was alone, felt something sit on the bed. In my case, it was felt between my feet in such a way that there could be no mistake; something was there. We were still both wide awake and each had the experience only once while the other was gone. I had the experience before Tsu, so I also enjoy the luxury of certainty since I never told Tsu about my experience before she had hers. Even though the event had little effect on me psychologically, that is, it wasn't something that left me feeling changed, I will never dismiss the claims of others as I once did.
 
Last edited:

Evo

Mentor
22,875
2,349
Not spritual or anything, but an odd type of "deja vu" today. But it wasn't the typical feeling of deja vu.

I was sitting in training today and the instructor was talking when suddenly I realized I had already sat through this moment on three previous occasions. I sat there for a moment saying everything she was about to say to myself and was just amazed that I also clearly remembered the 2 other times I sat through it. I even remembered how surprised I felt the last time it happened. I thought to myself "wow, this is happening again, just like last time".

So, it wasn't just a feeling of familiarity with a place or situation, I have prior memories of having the prior memories.
 

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
7,093
174
Moonbear said:
I saw something like that once, and just sat watching for quite some time trying to figure out what I was looking at. I finally decided to point it out to a friend, who promptly informed me I was looking in the direction of an airforce base. :redface: Probably nothing more than a helicopter, or search lights. :rolleyes:
Unless it somehow defied the known flight characterstics of conventional aircraft, then it was probably nothing. Unless you have a close range observation of something unusual, this is considered a key test.
 
Last edited:

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
7,093
174
Evo said:
Not spritual or anything, but an odd type of "deja vu" today. But it wasn't the typical feeling of deja vu.

I was sitting in training today and the instructor was talking when suddenly I realized I had already sat through this moment on three previous occasions. I sat there for a moment saying everything she was about to say to myself and was just amazed that I also clearly remembered the 2 other times I sat through it. I even remembered how surprised I felt the last time it happened. I thought to myself "wow, this is happening again, just like last time".

So, it wasn't just a feeling of familiarity with a place or situation, I have prior memories of having the prior memories.
I think Evo slips in and out of Hilbert space. :biggrin:
 

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
7,093
174
Ivan Seeking said:
Even though the event had little effect on me psychologically,
...that is unless you consider me falling out of the bed on a dead run...I slept on the couch for the next few nights. Yes, I was terrified. :redface: The next morning my mind wanted to dismiss as a dream the events that kept me up all night. But frankly, I knew better.
 

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,349
51
Ivan Seeking said:
Unless it somehow defied known the known flight characterstics of conventional aircraft, then it was probably nothing. Unless you have a close range observation of something unusual, this is considered a key test.
It was night and all I could see was "dancing" lights, so it could have been anything. While I don't know exactly what it was, knowing an airforce base was in that direction suggested it was something explainable had I known who to ask. What it reinforced is that it's easy to think something is unusual when you can't clearly see what it is.
 

cronxeh

Gold Member
949
10
Evo said:
Not spritual or anything, but an odd type of "deja vu" today. But it wasn't the typical feeling of deja vu.

I was sitting in training today and the instructor was talking when suddenly I realized I had already sat through this moment on three previous occasions. I sat there for a moment saying everything she was about to say to myself and was just amazed that I also clearly remembered the 2 other times I sat through it. I even remembered how surprised I felt the last time it happened. I thought to myself "wow, this is happening again, just like last time".

So, it wasn't just a feeling of familiarity with a place or situation, I have prior memories of having the prior memories.

I know exactly what you mean. The funny thing is that there is so much information that flows into your consciousness and in a form that I dont quite understand yet - its like you acquire a memory of things that didnt really happen but you start believing they did because they contain past, present, and a bit of future

its crawling into the domain of supernatural, but hey - you've never learned in class that this stuff is impossible. You dont learn about consciousness in thermodynamics, e&m, modern, or quantum physics class, so before one discredits it based on 'science' one ought to present real science with experimental data to back it up

which in turns implies one's knowledge of the brain and consciousness, our ability to transform 2D information into 3D, brain's ability to learn and understand, to be self aware and to analyse, and then one understands that its beyond the scope of physics
 

brewnog

Science Advisor
Gold Member
2,701
7
Moonbear said:
It was night and all I could see was "dancing" lights, so it could have been anything. While I don't know exactly what it was, knowing an airforce base was in that direction suggested it was something explainable had I known who to ask. What it reinforced is that it's easy to think something is unusual when you can't clearly see what it is.
But when you go through every possible explanation you can think of, and still arrive at no plausible answer, you start to wonder things.
 

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
7,093
174
Moonbear said:
It was night and all I could see was "dancing" lights, so it could have been anything. While I don't know exactly what it was, knowing an airforce base was in that direction suggested it was something explainable had I known who to ask. What it reinforced is that it's easy to think something is unusual when you can't clearly see what it is.
Well, that depends on the details, but I don't want to derail the thread with UFO discussions. :biggrin: Suffice it to say that even the most devout Ufologists claim that 90-95% of all UFO sightings can be explained as anything from conventional to secret [military] aircraft, ball lightning, lights reflecting from clouds, etc.
 

Evo

Mentor
22,875
2,349
cronxeh said:
I know exactly what you mean. The funny thing is that there is so much information that flows into your consciousness and in a form that I dont quite understand yet - its like you acquire a memory of things that didnt really happen but you start believing they did because they contain past, present, and a bit of future

its crawling into the domain of supernatural, but hey - you've never learned in class that this stuff is impossible. You dont learn about consciousness in thermodynamics, e&m, modern, or quantum physics class, so before one discredits it based on 'science' one ought to present real science with experimental data to back it up

which in turns implies one's knowledge of the brain and consciousness, our ability to transform 2D information into 3D, brain's ability to learn and understand, to be self aware and to analyse, and then one understands that its beyond the scope of physics
I wonder if it is some type of glitch in memory where the event you've just seen is somehow "replayed", so that you do really have the memory, but it just happened a fraction of a second ago, and it is replaying in what you think is "real time". We really have no idea what the brain is capable of.

Ivan Seeking said:
I think Evo slips in and out of Hilbert space. :biggrin:
Or that. :tongue2:
 

Evo

Mentor
22,875
2,349
Ivan Seeking said:
...that is unless you consider me falling out of the bed on a dead run...I slept on the couch for the next few nights. Yes, I was terrified. :redface: The next morning my mind wanted to dismiss as a dream the events that kept me up all night. But frankly, I knew better.
There really are things that happen that have no sufficient (current) explanation. How can anyone say "oh, it didn't happen" when they weren't there? I think it's one of those things that until you witness it first hand, you can't understand.

Yes, I had a close encounter of the cat kind, but I'm watering my plants that are dying from the heat right now.
 

Related Threads for: Your most profound supernatural experience

  • Last Post
2
Replies
47
Views
14K
  • Last Post
Replies
21
Views
23K
  • Last Post
Replies
2
Views
2K
  • Last Post
2
Replies
27
Views
14K
  • Last Post
3
Replies
65
Views
9K
  • Last Post
Replies
19
Views
4K

Hot Threads

Top