Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Your most profound supernatural experience

1. Jul 13, 2005 #1
    From the panoply of metaphysical beings, places and perceptions, what personal event has brought you to an understanding outside the world of conventional reality?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2005 #2
    i partially healed my eyes with qi gong meditation. basically i just thought about my eyes & my vision now is a better than it was; i don't really need my glasses to see things far away anymore. at first i thought it was a bit crackpot but now i'm a believer. i'm not sure what the mind/body connection is. i guess that would be outside the conventional (western) reality.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2005
  4. Jul 13, 2005 #3

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

childbirth without pain meds...

5. Jul 14, 2005 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

pain meds...

6. Jul 14, 2005 #5

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Seconded! :wink:

7. Jul 14, 2005 #6
    When i got hit on the head. Or that time with the cough medication.

8. Jul 14, 2005 #7

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I saw a UFO once. There were 3 bright balls, dancing around the sky above the horizon at what appeared to be about 3 miles. After a while, one of them shot off skyward at a vast rate of knots, and the other two seemed to disappear.

I only say UFO because I have no idea what it actually was, I've thought of a few possibilities but have never really been able to explain it. I wouldn't say it brought me to a greater understanding of the outside world, but once I'd realised that I couldn't easily explain it, it opened my mind a little, and made me slightly less sceptical of other such tales.

9. Jul 14, 2005 #8

cronxeh

Gold Member

heh.. Ivan ate Kerrie's meds?

umm.. lets see.. I'm having synchronicities a few times a day, sometimes I experience seriously weird de ja vus - and its like the prehistory was compacted into a fraction of a second and then unpacked into my brain. Somehow the course of at least a few hours worth of different history is seen by me - or at least remembered - for a second, and then it just disappears. All you are left to ponder is what changed from last time compared to current events

10. Jul 14, 2005 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Its funny that you would mention that in the context of this thread. There are quite a few examples of people who describe a UFO sighting as a spiritual, life changing experience. In fact, some become so obsessed afterwards that it virtually or literally ruins their life [from an outsider's point of view]. A few who claim this are well known "crackpots" in the UFO field.

11. Jul 14, 2005 #10

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well I have absolutely no idea what it was, and absolutely no way of ever finding out what it was. A few of my friends saw it too, but it seemed to be right over our city, and there was no public outcry about it, so it can't have been anything massive, - those close to where it appeared to be would surely have noticed?

I can't say it felt spiritual or life changing, but it confused the hell out of me. I've always been a really inquisitive kid, and if I ever wanted to know something, I'd make sure I found it out. Hence it was a bit weird to encounter something which I couldn't find a rational, plausible explanation for.

12. Jul 14, 2005 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For those who don't already know, Tsu and I experienced what many would consider a haunting. It is the only concrete experience that I have had where something "supernatural" seemed to be involved. I make no claims as to what it was, but I know what happened. I have had other experiences that makes me wonder, but nothing that even appoaches the lever of certainty that I have about the events mentioned above.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2005
  13. Jul 14, 2005 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I saw something like that once, and just sat watching for quite some time trying to figure out what I was looking at. I finally decided to point it out to a friend, who promptly informed me I was looking in the direction of an airforce base. :redface: Probably nothing more than a helicopter, or search lights. :rolleyes:

14. Jul 14, 2005 #13

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I suppose that could have been quite disconcerting. I imagine you as having a similar kind of questioning mind as myself (and indeed, being a scientific forum, many other members here). What actually happened, I'm interested now! :smile:

Until I saw my 'UFO', I viewed pretty much all reports of any such thing as lies, hoaxes, or just regular events which were somehow misinterpreted. I was a complete sceptic of anything which didn't have a rational explanation.

It's a bit different when it actually happens to you though, isn't it?

15. Jul 14, 2005 #14

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, I went over and over what I'd seen for hours, over weeks. I got maps out, I went to the library to look for reports of similar occurances. I managed to rule out everything. It took me a long time to accept that I'd probably never be able to explain it.

16. Jul 14, 2005 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, I was going to dig up the thread, but basically it comes down to this. In addition to the occasional, sudden onset of the strong smell of flowers in an isolated environment, Tsu and I, on two separate occasions, while each was alone, felt something sit on the bed. In my case, it was felt between my feet in such a way that there could be no mistake; something was there. We were still both wide awake and each had the experience only once while the other was gone. I had the experience before Tsu, so I also enjoy the luxury of certainty since I never told Tsu about my experience before she had hers. Even though the event had little effect on me psychologically, that is, it wasn't something that left me feeling changed, I will never dismiss the claims of others as I once did.

17. Jul 14, 2005 #16

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Not spritual or anything, but an odd type of "deja vu" today. But it wasn't the typical feeling of deja vu.

I was sitting in training today and the instructor was talking when suddenly I realized I had already sat through this moment on three previous occasions. I sat there for a moment saying everything she was about to say to myself and was just amazed that I also clearly remembered the 2 other times I sat through it. I even remembered how surprised I felt the last time it happened. I thought to myself "wow, this is happening again, just like last time".

So, it wasn't just a feeling of familiarity with a place or situation, I have prior memories of having the prior memories.

18. Jul 14, 2005 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Unless it somehow defied the known flight characterstics of conventional aircraft, then it was probably nothing. Unless you have a close range observation of something unusual, this is considered a key test.

19. Jul 14, 2005 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think Evo slips in and out of Hilbert space. :biggrin:

20. Jul 14, 2005 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

...that is unless you consider me falling out of the bed on a dead run...I slept on the couch for the next few nights. Yes, I was terrified. :redface: The next morning my mind wanted to dismiss as a dream the events that kept me up all night. But frankly, I knew better.

21. Jul 14, 2005 #20

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It was night and all I could see was "dancing" lights, so it could have been anything. While I don't know exactly what it was, knowing an airforce base was in that direction suggested it was something explainable had I known who to ask. What it reinforced is that it's easy to think something is unusual when you can't clearly see what it is.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?