Your opinion on the noble prize?

• Thread starter catdogking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    noble prize
In summary, the Nobel prize is a prestigious award that is given to individuals who have made significant contributions to society. The prize is not solely based on the quality of the scientist's work, but on the impact that their work has had on society.
catdogking
what is your opinion on the noble prize...

i've always thought... that the best of the best... the best chemists in the world, the best physicist, the best economist etc... are awarded noble prizes...

so in essence.. a noble laureate, is one of the best in that field in the world...

but is that true??

i mean I am sure there are many brilliant physicist and chemist out there that never won a noble prize...

i mean,when you look at it... it is peer-chosen...

im sure there could be political reasons for choosing

im not a expert on the noble prize...

but people i guess see it as what every scientist strives for, which I am sure is true

but... just what is your opinion on it

Physics news on Phys.org
First off, it's the Nobel prize. People in each field pick the winners in their own specialties. You might want to Google it and find the Wiki.

turbo said:
First off, it's the Nobel prize. People in each field pick the winners in their own specialties. You might want to Google it and find the Wiki.

i know that... its just...

are nobel prize winners really the best of the best in that field

catdogking said:
i know that... its just...

are nobel prize winners really the best of the best in that field

The Nobel prize doesn't necessarily recognize the "best" in a particular field. It gives recognition to a particular scientist that has accomplished something of a high magnitude which deserves recognition.

The awarding of the Nobel Prize needs to be a televised event.

The prize is for the science, not for the scientist.

Per wiki on the prize:
Alfred Nobel left his fortune to finance annual prizes to be awarded "to those who, during the preceding year, shall have conferred the greatest benefit on mankind." He stated that the Nobel Prizes in Physics should be given "to the person who shall have made the most important 'discovery' or 'invention' within the field of physics."

Notice that this has nothing about which person is the better scientist, but about which ones made the most important contributions to society. It is up to you to decide if this makes someone better than someone else.

Naty1 said:
The bottom line is that politics has a lot to do with some of the prizes; as in all things, you need to decided for yourself which prizes are deserved and which are merely political or philosophical statements.

This is why I always ignore that prizes that are outside the fields that are outside of the sciences. The Nobel prize for physics and chemistry have always seemed for the most part just to me. Although I have mixed feelings about the prize for Graphene as it hasn't really shown all that much usefulness yet.

Fun fact about Alfred Nobel: He create dynamite, and nearing his death, he came to the realization that people knew and recognized him for creating a newer and safer explosive, but he knew that he wanted to be remembered for his passions of science, literature, economics, medicine, etc, so in his will he left the statement that a large sum of his money would be devoted to awarding those who were beneficial to society in the aforementioned categories.

I've also seen several websites claim that, when his brother died, his local newspaper botched the obituary and instead had written a short blurb about Alfred Nobel instead of his brother, and he was ashamed to see that they had only mentioned how he invented dynamite, and didn't touch the subjects of his intellectual passions throughout life, which fueled his idea to give away virtually all of his fortune for that cause.

I don't know how credible that last story is though.

The OP is gone, so this thread can be locked.

1. What is your opinion on the Nobel Prize?

As a scientist, I believe the Nobel Prize is a prestigious award that recognizes individuals who have made significant contributions to their respective fields of study. It serves as a way to honor and celebrate the achievements of scientists, writers, and peace activists, and brings attention to important advancements in various fields.

2. How do you think the Nobel Prize impacts the scientific community?

The Nobel Prize has a major impact on the scientific community by promoting excellence in research and inspiring future generations of scientists. It also provides a platform for scientists to share their work with the public and encourages collaboration and innovation within the scientific community.

3. Do you believe the Nobel Prize is biased towards certain countries or fields of study?

There have been criticisms in the past about the Nobel Prize being biased towards certain countries or fields of study. However, the selection process is based on a strict set of criteria and is conducted by a diverse group of experts in each field. While there may be some underlying biases, the Nobel Prize ultimately aims to recognize the most deserving and impactful contributions, regardless of nationality or field.

4. In your opinion, is the Nobel Prize still relevant in today's society?

I believe the Nobel Prize is still very relevant in today's society. It continues to recognize and honor groundbreaking achievements in various fields, and brings attention to important issues and advancements that have the potential to make a positive impact on our world.

5. What do you think about the controversies surrounding the Nobel Prize, such as the decision to revoke awards?

While there have been controversies surrounding the Nobel Prize in the past, such as the decision to revoke certain awards, I believe the Nobel Committee takes these matters seriously and strives to maintain the integrity and credibility of the prize. As with any large-scale decision-making process, there may be mistakes or controversies, but overall, the Nobel Prize remains a highly respected and prestigious award in the scientific community.