1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Your Opinion

1. Condensed matter physics

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  2. High energy physics

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  3. Nuclear physics

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Nanoscience

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  5. Bio/Medical physics

11 vote(s)
    64.7%
  6. Physical Acoustics

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Astronomy/astrophysics

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Theoritical physics

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Mar 28, 2008 #1
    Please tell your opinion with reasons (if possible). I hope this will be important for those who do not have a good undergrad research experience

Please consider all the factors including the demand, funding, research, jobs,...etc.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2008 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

"Safer future"... in what sense? for whom? over what period?...

4. Mar 28, 2008 #3
    All the news I'm hearing is that funding for biology, life sciences, and the medical sciences is way up. Interestingly, the only other vote in the poll right now is for high-energy physics, an area that's getting funding slash in a huge way right now (in the U.S.).

5. Mar 28, 2008 #4
    Safer as in, job security? Thats what I'm guessing. If something else, I'll have to change my vote ;)

6. Mar 28, 2008 #5

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I would say that none of those fields "guarantees a safer future" for job security.
    It's not so much the field... but your ability to succeed in that field... but nothing is guaranteed.

Maybe your question is more about "what's hot [fashionable] now"?

In what capacity do you want to work in that field?
    Academic Research, Academic Teaching, Corporate Research, Industry, ...?
    When [how long from now] will be you be in that position?

7. Mar 29, 2008 #6

tgt

Feynman was once asked to comment on the future of physics. He chose an extremely long time period, one which he would not live to see. He was not shy to state his reason which was that he knew he would certainly be wrong and people would be there to point it out if it was during his lifetime.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?