Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Your physics soundtrack is?

1. Dec 18, 2016 #1
    What music helps you tune out everything else except whatever physics you are working on?

Give a brief description. Some of mine are;

Animals as leaders - a djent metal fusion 3 piece with no bass player (as far as I can tell). They play weird time signatures and no vocals. Extremely talented musicians.

Maria Callas - old school opera; soprano.

Art Tatum - piano jazz.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2016 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Dec 18, 2016 #3

You might like this version;

5. Dec 18, 2016 #4

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's quite horrible - but thanks for posting .

6. Dec 18, 2016 #5

QuantumQuest

Gold Member

7. Dec 18, 2016 #6
    I recall doing homework listening to Old Pink Floyd psychedelia, like: A Saucerful of Secrets, Set the Controls to the Heart of the Sun, etc. The music is relaxing and seemed to induce abstract thinking. True "physics rock", if there was ever such a thing.

8. Dec 18, 2016 #7
    There is such a thing indeed.

9. Dec 23, 2016 #8
    underground hip hop/hip hop with jazz influence.

10. Jan 3, 2017 #9
    I'm more of a math student, but these would equally apply when I'm studying physics. Mostly, I like listening to classical music while I'm studying.

Mozart is a favorite of mine; some of his solo piano works can be dry, but his symphonies and concertos are excellent study music.

Lately, though, I've been listening to a lot of Hall & Oates both when studying and when I go running. It's addictively catchy.

11. Jan 3, 2017 #10

Stellar.

12. Jan 22, 2017 #11
    Depending on my mood, I like Bach, Mozart, or Beethoven, or else some popular Germanic music from the present day. Here's an example of the latter.

Here's another example. I could give hundreds more.

:smile:

For pure instrumental music, I enjoy Klaus Wunderlich and Richard Clayderman, although the latter causes my mind to wander sometimes. I also like Kitaro, in particular his music for Queen Millennia.

Just recently I've found that if I really need a jolt it's good to listen to Rammstein. This is just for waking up, not for concentrating.

I just remembered an interesting passage from the novel 2001: A Space Odyssey. After Dave Bowman is left alone on the Discovery One, he listens to various types of music. He settles on Bach.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  13. Jan 22, 2017 #12
    I typically listen to white noise exclusively when studying anything like math or physics but I like downtempo instrumental hip hop whenever I don't want to listen to TV static.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted