Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Your posts can come back to haunt you

1. Feb 14, 2006 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have been meaning to mention this. There was a story on the news recently - I think local but maybe NBC network news - which claimed that employers are now looking for people's online activities. If you post under your real name, or if you reveal your true identify to a large number of people, a future potential employer, or even your current one for that matter, could be looking for you and what you say when you think that nobody important is paying attention.

Personally, I can't take a chance on Ivan causing problems with my business. I don't need problems like that in a competitive business world. I believe in what I'm doing here, but it would be much harder to justify if I knew that any customer might read what I say.

Also, I think it is nuts to give away personal information on the net; if for no other reason, identity fraud.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2006 #2
    How could the employer even know if it was realy the employe that wrote it or just someone using his name?

If a employer did this to me I would tell him he can take the job and shove it up somewhere. I wouldnt work for someone that invades my private life in that way.
  4. Feb 14, 2006 #3
    I don't use my real name anywhere online. My employer may not be terribly interested in what I write here or anywhere else but the students here might be interested.
    I had my picture up on MySpace and one fo the students here somehow saw and started trying to talk to me. I sent him one message telling him that I could not talk to him at all because of the rules here at my job and haven't sent anything else since. He continued sending me messages for about six or seven months after that.
  5. Feb 14, 2006 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Hopefully, any employer that did this would see I've been made a moderator at every forum I've ever posted at with any frequency and conclude that I must be doing something right.
  6. Feb 15, 2006 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There was a bit of a flareup in blogdom a bit back over this issue-- see here.
  7. Feb 15, 2006 #6

Gold Member

I really do need to change my name...
  8. Feb 15, 2006 #7
    That was interesting.

Do you think "Ivan Tribble" might be related to "Ivan Seeking".?
  9. Feb 15, 2006 #8
    Having your name on the Net won't allow anyone to steal your identity. I would even go so far as to say that no one cares, unless you work for the government and need a security clearance.
  10. Feb 15, 2006 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So is that just a wild guess?
  11. Feb 15, 2006 #10
    The majority of businesses in the US are small businesses. I don't think they have the money or time to see what every potential hire posts on the internet.
  12. Feb 15, 2006 #11

Gold Member

How about someone who posts under his colleague's name or even his/her employer's name? :tongue:
  13. Feb 15, 2006 #12

Gold Member

I tell my employers,bosses what i think of them to their faces, though
    ultimately my employers are merchant bankers and i doubt if they would
    even know my name, my supervisor is a nice guy but is as usefull as a
    chocolate fire guard, the factory manager could be replaced by a tape
    recorder ,and i never see the engineering manager, he all way has some
    thing more important to do even if there is a crissis at my branch.
    So if you are reading this sirs, *you are a bunch of useless dick heads*.
  14. Feb 15, 2006 #13
    I like being anonymous, so I don't do anything on the web with my real name. Truthfully if my employers knew that I posted here, I wouldn't really care and I don't think I'd be judged negatively for it. But yeah , I agree that its nuts to give away personal information on the web.
  15. Feb 16, 2006 #14

jimmy p

Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

My supervisor is a plank. He is so thick. He phoned me to tell me some crap today, and after he talked for about 5 minutes straight, I just said "I don't care, it's my day off". He never knows what is going on. He must be brothers with your supervisor. He couldn't be with your factory manager, you can find a use for a tape recorder.
  16. Feb 16, 2006 #15
    I used my real name in some astronomy blog like 5 years back. Whenever I google my name, it comes up. I wish I hadn't done that, or could get rid of it now
  17. Feb 16, 2006 #16
    Why, do you think anyone actually cares physics is phun?
  18. Feb 16, 2006 #17
    I don't care if people know my real name, or address or telephone number. I am not worried about renewing my top secret security clearance and I keep all my money buried underneath the palm trees next to the swimming pool.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?