Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Your project

1. Aug 3, 2005 #1

wolram

Gold Member

If you had the time and money what would you want to build for home project?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2005 #2
    Everything.

4. Aug 3, 2005 #3
    Yeah I agree. I would design and build an entire hosue from the ground up, including the landscaping.

5. Aug 3, 2005 #4

wolram

Gold Member

What would be," special", about your house?

6. Aug 3, 2005 #5

DocToxyn

Science Advisor

An outdoor, woodfired oven for breads, pizza, roasts. etc. It actually wouldn't be too unrealistic of a project and I plan on doing it someday, I just need to get one of those house things first.

7. Aug 3, 2005 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I would rent a rather spacious apartment, but not too big for a single person to live in.

8. Aug 3, 2005 #7

cronxeh

Gold Member

basement: undergound shelter from nuclear, chemical, biological, asteroid, tsunami, alien, etc attacks with big compartments for a submarine-boat vessel, separate pressurized rooms for various purposes (lab, entertainment room, garage, living room, bathroom, etc)

ground level/first floor: the usual - easy access garage with automated doors and locks, living room, kitchen, bathroom, etc

second floor: bedroom, observatory

the house should be in a form of a dome but with concrete-steel barriers on perimiter to withstand incoming tsunami debri and structurally sound enough to withstand a big earthquake (depending on location, soil conditions, plate tectonics, etc)

roof/outside: PVC, solar, wind, satellite receiver, high gain antenna, etc. ability to stay off the grid in any locale is a plus

Nice plan but inefficient:
    [​IMG]

Nice outline but only one floor
    [​IMG]

9. Aug 3, 2005 #8

wolram

Gold Member

Cronxeh, thats a big one on the wow scale, has any one costed the basic house?

10. Aug 3, 2005 #9

wolram

Gold Member

MMMM, fresh crusty bread, you just can't buy it now, i wish i could make it.

11. Aug 3, 2005 #10
    I would like to build a year round greenhouse, fresh veggies all year!

12. Aug 3, 2005 #11
    Good question. Right now, the only thing that would be special is that I would have designed it myself. I just think it would be fun to do, I have not actually started working on it or anything.

13. Aug 3, 2005 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

cronxeh
    I would definitely stay away from any plans showing a bicycle powered battery charger. :rolleyes:

Dome homes had huge problems with leaks but by now I would think this is resolved.

Another interesting concept is the strawbale home. First brought to my attention by the renewable resources and sustainable living crowd, at first I thought this was some kind of joke, but it turns out that here in Oregon, we have some of strawbale homes over 100 years old. In many ways, esp wrt sound and thermal insulation, and even fire resistance, they are superior to standard buildings. I have even read accounts from the early settlers here in Oregon who built and lived in strawbale homes who didn't like the new stick homes that came along later. Anyway, they seem to be a viable alternative to standard construction techniques.

http://www.greenhomebuilding.com/QandA/strawbaleQandA.htm

and they can be very attractive, adobe styles houses.

[​IMG]

14. Aug 3, 2005 #13

wolram

Gold Member

I know what you mean, i would like to design my own house and have every
    thing just so. but it is a pipe dream for me.

15. Aug 3, 2005 #14

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Ivan Seeking, have you heard about the 3 little pigs? :rofl:

16. Aug 3, 2005 #15
    With the time i'd design my house and with the money, pay someone else to build it!

17. Aug 3, 2005 #16

wolram

Gold Member

:biggrin: :biggrin:

18. Aug 3, 2005 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:biggrin: Don't be so quick to judge. I guess they are now getting regular home owners insurance for these, which is a big step towards the mainstream.

...and note that the second pig lived in a stick home; ie 2x4s. :biggrin:

The truth is though, we considered doing this but felt it was simply too risky. They look good on paper, but we're talking about our home! But if I had the money to risk...it would be fun.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2005
  19. Aug 3, 2005 #18
    This is actually a bit simple, but I'd like to build a custom large enclosure for my Savannah Monitor. Right now, anyway. With plenty of hiding places, a swimming area, and something more to climb on.

I like my pet too much.

20. Aug 3, 2005 #19

wolram

Gold Member

Good for you Ivan, straw wins hands down to sticks :biggrin:

21. Aug 3, 2005 #20

wolram

Gold Member

Aww, you are nice. if i could award an honor it would go to you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?