Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Your Regrets

1. Feb 12, 2009 #1
    Post your regrets in life so that other users may gain wisdom from them and not follow your path (if applicable).

I'm only in my early 20s so my list is not as full, but here goes. I regret not studying more in my younger years, I was much more interested in video games and popular music. I regret not asking Katie out, who was a girl I really really liked in highschool (its been 5 years and she pops up in my head now and then). I regret mandibular surgery, because looking back at my young pictures, it wasn't neccessary at all. Lastly, I regret going to a prestigious school. 4 of my best friends went to a different school, and I really miss them. They are also having much more fun than I am.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2009 #2
    i regret clicking on this thread

4. Feb 13, 2009 #3
    I regret reading the comment made by proton soup.
    Now I regret writing the comment I made above.
    khemix,why dont you try to get in touch with Katie and why not get your surgery unfixed?

5. Feb 13, 2009 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I regret letting my dad decide what I would major in.

6. Feb 13, 2009 #5

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't really regret anything in my life, but then again I'm still relatively young!

7. Feb 13, 2009 #6
    cristo,isnt it strange that us oldies and mouldies often have delusions of being mere spring chickens?

8. Feb 13, 2009 #7
    That's interesting because I once heard one of the bosses I worked with say something about having the final say on what his daughters were majoring in since he was the one paying the bills. I've always wondered if that was a fairly common thing. What major would you have preferred?

9. Feb 13, 2009 #8

Evo

My dad was that way, he said since he was paying, I had to do what he decided.

I had an equal passion for astronomy and archaeology. My dad said neither of those were practical. :frown:

10. Feb 13, 2009 #9

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think you need to move on from this Katie girl. Like, 5 years.

Anyways, the list of things that I don't regret is longer than the list of things I do regret. As long as it stays that way, I think I'm doing ok.

Note: I do regret blowing away lots of money in the summer. I lived well beyond my means for 3 months.

11. Feb 13, 2009 #10

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They are if you want to be an astronomer or archaeologist.

12. Feb 13, 2009 #11
    Do you think it would have mattered to your mom? This makes me wonder if dads are more practical than moms when it comes to their kids' futures? How will that experience affect your future decision if you have to pay for your child's tuition?

13. Feb 13, 2009 #12

Evo

My mom thought I should do what I wanted.

My kids are taking what they want, I am encouraging them to go into whatever field they will be happy in.

14. Feb 13, 2009 #13

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have a few, but then again, too few to mention ...

Sorry couldn't resist :tongue2:

15. Feb 13, 2009 #14
    In primary school, this kid punched me in the face. I didn't punch him back because I was scared of getting into trouble for fighting. I regret not trying to beat the krap out of him, the most trouble we would have got into was a couple of days suspension from 7th grade, wooow.

16. Feb 13, 2009 #15
    I regret losing my younger years to the books (@ 21). :tongue:.

On http://blog.rogersradiointernet.com/donjackson/", I heard a story about dying man who wrote something like if he were to live again, he would see more sunsets. He would regret less in his life. He would only worry about the real problems. ...
    It was beautiful but I missed the source :frown: I am going to find it!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  17. Feb 13, 2009 #16
    Regret is for things you have control over.

But there is alot of things in my life I had no control over, but wish turned out differently. That far outweighs anything I could have done differently. That's why have no regrets.

18. Feb 13, 2009 #17
    I regret not going to med school so that I could capitalize on the economic crisis rather than suffering from it. Oh well, at lest I can ride it out in grad school.

19. Feb 13, 2009 #18

Evo

I regret not marrying a doctor so I could go back to school and get the degrees I want. Although I did date a guy at NASA that was the Governor's something or other for Astronomy and held "star parties" where people would take their ginormous telescopes out into the country and let people like me look. And he got me invited to several archaeological digs through some of his contacts, unfortunately I couldn't take the time off from work. :frown:

Ok, I regret not marrying him too.

20. Feb 13, 2009 #19
    My surgery didnt go bad, it was just unneccessarily done. There is no pain, it just feels weird having screwes hehe.

Getting in touch with her is not possible at this point, and even if it were how odd would that be. I don't obsess about her or anything, its just once every few weeks I fall into deep thoughts about her. I know thats creepy and all, but it stays in my head. I dated 2 girls since then, but as soon its over I go back to her. I guess my advice is always ask her out, because you will regret it.

21. Feb 13, 2009 #20

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think people should regret the experiences they have, you can always learn something from them and not make the same mistake in the future.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook