The Reasons Behind Following a Religion

• Thread starter jamesb-uk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Religion
In summary: But do you believe in turtles?I think the creator made turtles, but that was yet another by-product of the ultimate objective of kitty-cat making. Turbo and I are split on the reason for humans. I say by-product, he says slave race for the...
seycyrus said:
First of all, I laugh at your attempt to tell me what I have the right to tell you. Where does it end? I have given solid reasons for my beliefs regarding your beliefs.
No, you just keep asserting you have a reason for telling me my beliefs. You don't, and you got them wrong.

seycyrus said:
I find it absurd that you cannot follow the logical progression.

IF 1) You think that thinking has more merit than non-thinking (or less-thinking as the case may be).

AND 2) every Atheists think more than every non-atheists.

THEN ...*drum roll*

Atheists have more merit than non-atheists!
Fixed (bolded). You have to think this is true for every every atheist and theist before coming to that conclusion. Something you just assumed I do without asking. I won't bother with the other stuff you wrote, as it hinges on the incorrect stuff above.

Physics news on Phys.org
lisab said:
Comment #1: why yes, I DO consider thoughtful investigation to have higher merit than thoughtless acceptance. Wow, just who the hell do I think I am, valuing thoughtful investigation?

People who focus on this are missing the point. I hold the same value. Since most (if not all) people would make a similar claim, this strongly reinforces this, my first assumption
lisab said:
As to your comment #2, tell me exactly where I put myself in that second group, seycyrus.

Lacking concrete data, it would be safe to state that you place yourself somewhere in the middle, say withing one or two deviations.

Pray tell, just how much more *have* you thought about it than the average non-atheist that you discussed in your original comment? Much more? Much much more? Or perhaps much, much, much,much,much more?

lisab said:
And while you're at it, point out to me where I have ever referred to people of faith as "ignorant savages" or "unlearned and ignorant comon folk."

The word "relatively" was used in direct proximity to "ignorant savages" , was it not?

As for "unlearned and ignorant common folk", I directly connected that to clergy and such in the dark ages. I did not state that you said it.

lisab said:
Are you aware ad hominem attacks are not allowed on this forum?

Well its a good thing that I haven't made any.

lisab said:
Wow, you are actually putting words in my mouth (see the bolded text). Don't make me into your strawman.

You are incorrect on both points.

lisab said:
You speak angrily, and as if you know me...you don't.

I don't need to know you. I know what you wrote. As for anger, I am calm. Perhaps if you calmed down a little you wouldn't have made your false accusations.

lisab said:
You have no idea about my beliefs, which are more complex than checking a box on a multiple choice form.

One would hope that your beliefs are more complex than would be indicated by your original post in this thread, which could only be interpreted as I have outlined.

lisab said:
It still mystifies me why you choose to feel so victimized here.

It mystifies me why you would think that making a statement that was not only fallacious, but condecending would not provoke a response.

Err, ok, it doesn't mystify me all *that* much considering the forum. Attacks on non-atheists always seem to get a slide here. So, I guess it mystifies me a little.

Pinu7 said:
So any notion that Atheists are, in general, smarter than a theist is false.

I would not go that far:

http://undergraduatestudies.ucdavis.edu/explorations/2004/clark.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
seycyrus -

Nope, not going to fly. You're slick, but stop dodging the question. I'll ask you again, and I will continue until you answer squarely:

As to your comment #2, tell me exactly where I put myself in that second group. And while you're at it, point out to me where I have ever referred to people of faith as "ignorant savages" or "unlearned and ignorant comon folk."

And if you don't like this forum, the buttons that led you here can lead you out of here, too.

OK; tomorrow when I wake up, I want like to see this thread locked...

Pupil said:
No, you just keep asserting you have a reason for telling me my beliefs. You don't, and you got them wrong.

You directly told me that I got at least one of them right. As for the second, my commentary was phrased in IF THEN statements.

If you don't think that "atheists put more thought into it than non-atheists" then you are exempt from the discussion, and may be excused.

If you do, AND you think that thinking has more merit than non-thinking (or less thinking), then you are placing yourself on a pedestal. Enjoy the view.

Pupil said:
Fixed (bolded). You have to think this is true for every every atheist and theist before coming to that conclusion.

First of all, why are you editing my text? Can you not see that this may lead to unintended false quotations by others?

Secondly are you seriously going on the record to claim that the default assumption when no qualifier is given in the English language is "some"? Ridiculous. The default is "every".

If I said that "cats have two legs.", it would be incorrect. there is no implied "some" qualifying "cats". The implication, by default is "all".

Pupil said:
Something you just assumed I do without asking. I won't bother with the other stuff you wrote, as it hinges on the incorrect stuff above.

As your first statement is in error, your conclusion is invalid. People might claim that you are running away. (Oh wait, do we assume that *all* people, or *some* people might make that claim?)

jobyts said:
OK; tomorrow when I wake up, I want like to see this thread locked...

I'm totally down with that.

lisab said:
seycyrus -

Nope, not going to fly. You're slick, but stop dodging the question.

Haven't dodged it at all, but I note you refuse to address the central issue.

lisab said:
I'll ask you again, and I will continue until you answer squarely:

Your attempt to sidetrack this discussion into a discussion of your exact position in the bell curve is ridiculous, and noted. My argument holds whether you are on either end, smack dab in the middle or anywhere in between.

Your self-placement within the group in general, is sufficient

lisab said:
As to your comment #2, tell me exactly where I put myself in that second group.

See above.

lisab said:
And while you're at it, point out to me where I have ever referred to people of faith as "ignorant savages" or "unlearned and ignorant comon folk."

Uhm, okay. Show me were I said you did.

lisab said:
And if you don't like this forum, the buttons that led you here can lead you out of here, too.

I never claimed I didn't like it here. I claimed I didn't like the way certain situations were addressed/ignored.

I choose to light a candle as well as curse the darkness.

As for you, since you obviously don't like to be held accountable for your own words, and since you know where those buttons are...

lisab said:
Just curious why you're not wanting to hear from atheists, because it's likely that they have thought a lot more about this question than those who have never questioned their own beliefs.

seycyrus said:
That is not only a blatant example of an egotistical statement, but also of a logical fallacy.
seycyrus, you chose to read things into this that aren't there. Move along.

Evo said:
Move along.

I'll move along too, this is going nowhere. Too bad; it had some interesting potential.

robertm said:
This of course, is not a simple manner. But adding unfounded faith-based mythical beliefs into the mix does not advance the argument one iota; indeed it makes good decision making unlikely in many cases.

I think that if Bush not gone to war and claimed that it was due to his religious convictions, many people would be ok with that, at least now

robertm said:
Dogma and bias are highly effective blindfolds that we should not want our representatives to be wearing.

How do you separate religious dogma and bias from non-religious dogma and bias? OK, dogma might be defined in terms of religion. If so let's use the word beliefs. How can you define which beliefs stem from religious convictions v.s non-religious convictions?

Would you propose a litmus test?

robertm said:
...the establishment of whatever religion the official happens to adhere to. Which is, apparently, unconstitutional.

Again, I don't see how a Budhist president supporting policy that is in accordance with his religious beliefs on non-violence would be an establishment of Budhism and in violation of the first amendment.

robertm said:
Critical thinking skills are what is key for life, liberty, and the pursuit of whatever. Steadfast adherence to unfounded beliefs promotes and condones credulity and inflexibility.

Not all religious beliefs are unfounded.

seycyrus said:
Not all religious beliefs are unfounded.

Care to share?

Pinu7 said:
Being a theist is like being a mathematician. You need to contemplate your beliefs to truly understand them.
True, however, from my personal opinion, general atheists are no different than general theists.
Average Atheists are atheists because:
1. They hated church/temple/whatever when they were kids and rather abandon religion to save an hour a week.
2.Their friends are atheist/ it is "cool" to be atheist.
3. The superiority complex that comes with their false delusions that they are somehow more "logical" than theists.
4. They haven't even bothered to think about religion/deep philosophical questions and choose to affiliate themselves as atheist to avoid this.(Because if you believe in a God, you are supposed to make sense of it. Why does he do the things he does? Why did he create the Universe? Why did he make people so sinful/stupid? How do these fit together?)
Most theists are theists because:
Reasons you stated.
From my personal experiences, the average atheist is pretty stupid. Of course, the average person is pretty stupid anyway. Same goes with theists.
People rarely QUESTION anything. Atheists included.
So any notion that Atheists are, in general, smarter than a theist is false.
Because of #4 above, they convinced doesn't have to think about it.

Ill agree with the first point that it does waste time.

From my perspective Atheists never come in herds. I wish they did. That'd kinda be cool.

With the third, I cannot seem to comprehend how there is any sort of complex about being an atheist. Could you elaborate further on this notion of complex superiority?

The forth I will agree on in a touch an go basis. Simply because often the abandonment comes from the answers which the individuals came up with themselves after asking themselves these philosophical questions. So I therefore think that the amount of people who have actually abandoned because of your point is marginal or no existent. Or is there another reasoning behind what you meant?

Also I kinda don't fit into any of these 4 categories but I am average. Though I have read quite a lot of material from different Christian religions (Including their bibles, magazines and documentaries for creationism and religion beliefs). I interact with people from various Abrahamic belief systems every day. In fact with atheists that I do interact with. I don't really find any of these four points valid for any of them. I unfortunately just don't see it. Well ok maybe the first point but it is kinda weak.

seycyrus said:
If you don't think that "atheists put more thought into it than non-atheists" then you are exempt from the discussion, and may be excused.
Hey! You finally almost got it! No one here is claiming every atheist puts more thought into it than every theist.

seycyrus said:
If you do, AND you think that thinking has more merit than non-thinking (or less thinking), then you are placing yourself on a pedestal. Enjoy the view.
Absolutely. That's a pedestal I hope everyone will share with me.

seycyrus said:
First of all, why are you editing my text? Can you not see that this may lead to unintended false quotations by others?
No. If someone quotes me it will only show what I wrote (not what I quoted), and if someone quotes you, it will show what you originally wrote, in neither case will it show the edited quote which I clearly stated I edited. Come on...

seycyrus said:
Secondly are you seriously going on the record to claim that the default assumption when no qualifier is given in the English language is "some"? Ridiculous. The default is "every".
Now you definitely got it! We added qualifiers!

lisab said:
Most religious peole I know...

Evo said:
Most of the people I know

And you just ran with it as if we said all.

Since this thread hasn't been about the OP in quite awhile. Closed.