Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Your sleeping habits

1. Dec 10, 2005 #1
    I've been going to sleep increasingly later and later over the past week, last night I just went to sleep at 7 in the morning and woke up at 5:30 in the afternoon. For some reason I like sleeping during the daytime and like being up at night. Anyone else fell this way?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2005 #2

Danger

Gold Member

I've always been nocturnal by nature, but for the past few years I've been in jobs where I couldn't be. I still revert on Sundays if I'm not exhausted from the rest of the week.

4. Dec 10, 2005 #3
    Yeah, I have most of my classes in the morning and right when I get home around noon I go right back to bed until diner, or should I say breakfast.

5. Dec 10, 2005 #4

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No way!

I've been staying up later and later the past week too. I told myself not to go to bed later than 4am though. It used to be like 10-11pm.

I like it so much more. I'm also more productive doing work/homework.

The difference is that I wake up around 10am, and go back to bed at 5-9pm. I get my 8 hours everyday still.

I'm changing it up a bit, so it fits my into exam schedule, but next term during school I'm going back to this schedule.

6. Dec 10, 2005 #5
    I usually go to bed at 11-12 at night and wake up at 7am.

7. Dec 10, 2005 #6
    I feel like I naturally start getting sleepy at dawn, so if I'm not careful, a few days of sleep freedom will have me going to sleep at 6-7am and waking at around 3pm.

8. Dec 10, 2005 #7
    In bed by 12 to 1 am up at 5:30, but theres a cat nap around 4 if I can manage it.

9. Dec 10, 2005 #8

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

On nonworking nights I stay up as late as I can, usually 2 to 4am, then I sleep as late as I can, usually 9am -noon). On working nights I get to bed by 8am and up between noon and 2:30pm.

10. Dec 10, 2005 #9

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I am naturally nocturnal. I'd sleep all day and stay up all night if I had my way. I'm much more creative at night, I think clearer at night.

I hate happy, peppy morning people. :devil: Someone needs to just smack those people. :grumpy:

11. Dec 10, 2005 #10
    Ha! Sleep is for the weak!

I find that my days seem longer if I don't sleep at all. And longer...and longer...and longer...I really can't explain it. It just seems to work that way.

12. Dec 10, 2005 #11

cronxeh

Gold Member

Yeaah.. whoever's been around when I used to go sleepless for 3-5 days at a time remembers how cranky I got :bugeye:
    Recently the only reason why I'd stay up is because I had a craving to listen to more and more and more.. and more.. and more.. and more.. and.. more.. and more.. and more music :approve:
    I go to sleep around 2. Wake up around 8. And thats how I do :biggrin:
    (Definition of around = +/- 15 minutes)

13. Dec 10, 2005 #12

Evo

I believe that's referred to as "free running", at least it was years ago. They did studies where they put a person in a room totally shut off from outside stimulus, no clocks, no way to keep track of time. They found that without knowing the time or when it was light or dark that people tended to stay awake for longer and longer periods, with their days and nights becoming switched. People with no idea of "when" they should sleep would stay awake late at night and sleep during the day. That is a natural sleep pattern. What is currently acceptable (sleep at night wake up early) is not natural. :approve:

14. Dec 10, 2005 #13

Astronuc

Morning would be better - if it came later in the day. :biggrin:

15. Dec 10, 2005 #14
    I think they went to a 28 hour day cycle. Don't know where I heard that though.

16. Dec 10, 2005 #15

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'd still recommend getting atleast 7 hours of sleep for those who don't get it.

17. Dec 10, 2005 #16

Evo

That sounds right.

18. Dec 10, 2005 #17
    of course, I said it.

19. Dec 10, 2005 #18
    i sleep different hours every night basically. and i nap sometimes, and different times every day i nap. i have classes but they rarely effect how i sleep. i'll sleep through them when i want a lot of the time. i'm also a really light sleeper. but i do dream a lot. i wake up all the time during the night though. some nights i don't get to bed until well after sun up, and with it being winter now, there have been many days where i haven't really seen the sun.

20. Dec 11, 2005 #19

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sleeping habits?

Define sleep. It's an unfamiliar concept. :)

21. Dec 11, 2005 #20
    6:50 am right now, been watching infomercials all morning. I'm going for 9 am so I can get breakfast, then I'm going to bed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?