1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Your thoughts about these books?

1. Jun 18, 2005 #1
    Your thoughts about these books???

Hello there,
    I am on the brink of buying some books from amazon.com and I would like to have your opinions on some of them. Feynman Lectures and QED are sure to be bought. The others are listed below.
    Riemann's Zeta Function
    Prime Obsession
    What Do You Care About What Other People Think?
    Surely You're Joking Mr. Feynman
    The Elegant Universe
    The World of Mathematics 4 Volume Set

All of them make quite much so I need to eliminate some of them and I need you opinions about these to help in that task...

Thanks in advance

Cheers,
    Can

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2005 #2
    Sorry about this - I haven't read any of those books but I have 3 books that a lot of people have enjoyed, including myself.

They are:

The Music of the Primes by Marcus du Sautoy - which is a wonderful journey into mathematics and some its mysteries

The Art of the Infinite by Robert and Ellen Kaplan - once again a truly wonderful book by this pair

And - Dr. Reimann's Zeros, which is very a very interesting book on the Zeta landscape.

-NewScientist

4. Jun 18, 2005 #3
    No doubt Surely you're joking Mr. Feynman and What do you care what other people think are great books.

5. Jun 18, 2005 #4

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Does your library not have any of them? They aren't all reference books; I would think reading some once would be enough.

6. Jun 18, 2005 #5
    well, I'm 16 and I'm living in Turkey. Finding those books is really hard. actually I have seen feynman lectures in paperback edition but it was priced at an outrageous $123. And I have still time to go to college so these aren't needed really. But I adore math and physics so I try to read anything that gives me a good insight on the subject.

Anyway I bought all of them except the World of Math and the elegant universe. Thanks everyone...

7. Sep 9, 2005 #6
    Well, I've read The Elegant Universe and I loved it, I don't know if it's too late seeing as the last post was a few months ago, but for what it's worth I think it depends on what your interests are in physics. The Elegant Universe is about string theory and is written for the general reader but goes through some history of major developments in physics and string theory and could be considered a cross between a textbook and leisure reading (interesting information, but enough clever analogies and jokes that you don't feel like you're studying), as opposed to Surely You're Joking Mr. Feynman which is a collection of autobiographical anecdotes form the life of a physicist. I hope you enjoy your books! :biggrin:

8. Dec 25, 2005 #7

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

well to me 123 dollars for 3 volumes of feynman is actually worth the money.

the others have a lot less content.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?