Your thoughts about these books?

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking opinions on books they are considering buying from Amazon, and others recommending books they have enjoyed. The books mentioned include Feynman Lectures, QED, Riemann's Zeta Function, Prime Obsession, What Do You Care About What Other People Think?, Surely You're Joking Mr. Feynman, The Elegant Universe, and The World of Mathematics. There is also a discussion about the availability and cost of books in Turkey. Ultimately, the person buys all the books except for The World of Mathematics and The Elegant Universe.
wisredz
Your thoughts about these books?

Hello there,
I am on the brink of buying some books from amazon.com and I would like to have your opinions on some of them. Feynman Lectures and QED are sure to be bought. The others are listed below.
Riemann's Zeta Function
Prime Obsession
What Do You Care About What Other People Think?
Surely You're Joking Mr. Feynman
The Elegant Universe
The World of Mathematics 4 Volume Set

All of them make quite much so I need to eliminate some of them and I need you opinions about these to help in that task...

Thanks in advance

Cheers,
Can

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry about this - I haven't read any of those books but I have 3 books that a lot of people have enjoyed, including myself.

They are:

The Music of the Primes by Marcus du Sautoy - which is a wonderful journey into mathematics and some its mysteries

The Art of the Infinite by Robert and Ellen Kaplan - once again a truly wonderful book by this pair

And - Dr. Reimann's Zeros, which is very a very interesting book on the Zeta landscape.

-NewScientist

No doubt Surely you're joking Mr. Feynman and What do you care what other people think are great books.

Does your library not have any of them? They aren't all reference books; I would think reading some once would be enough.

well, I'm 16 and I'm living in Turkey. Finding those books is really hard. actually I have seen feynman lectures in paperback edition but it was priced at an outrageous $123. And I have still time to go to college so these aren't needed really. But I adore math and physics so I try to read anything that gives me a good insight on the subject.

Anyway I bought all of them except the World of Math and the elegant universe. Thanks everyone...

Well, I've read The Elegant Universe and I loved it, I don't know if it's too late seeing as the last post was a few months ago, but for what it's worth I think it depends on what your interests are in physics. The Elegant Universe is about string theory and is written for the general reader but goes through some history of major developments in physics and string theory and could be considered a cross between a textbook and leisure reading (interesting information, but enough clever analogies and jokes that you don't feel like you're studying), as opposed to Surely You're Joking Mr. Feynman which is a collection of autobiographical anecdotes form the life of a physicist. I hope you enjoy your books! :biggrin:

well to me 123 dollars for 3 volumes of feynman is actually worth the money.

the others have a lot less content.

1. What is your overall opinion about these books?

My overall opinion about these books is that they are well-researched and well-written. They provide valuable insights and information on the topics they cover.

2. Are these books scientifically accurate?

Yes, these books are scientifically accurate. They are written by experts in their respective fields and are based on reliable and up-to-date research.

3. Do these books cover a wide range of topics?

Yes, these books cover a wide range of topics. They cover various aspects of their respective subjects and provide a comprehensive understanding of the topics.

4. Would you recommend these books to others?

Yes, I would definitely recommend these books to others. I believe they are informative and engaging reads that would benefit anyone interested in the subjects they cover.

5. Are these books suitable for both experts and non-experts in the field?

These books are suitable for both experts and non-experts in the field. They are written in a way that is accessible to a general audience, while also providing in-depth information for those with more knowledge on the subject.