Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Your worst injury

1. Jun 15, 2010 #1
    So, because misery loves company (even vicariously through the interwebz), what is your worst injury?

I just had surgery to repair a torn Achilles tendon. Painful and annoying since it is my right foot, so I cannot drive.

So what was/is your worst injury?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2010 #2

turbo

Gold Member

A severe sprain to my right ankle from a fall while ski-racing. My doctor told me that I would have been much better off breaking my leg. He was right. I was in pain for months and months and even years later, I was very prone to re-injury.

I was on the run-out just below the final gate of a very fast GS course on a public ski area and a kid somehow entered that area. I took an awkward fall rather than hit him (probably killing him or at least severely injuring him).

4. Jun 15, 2010 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I'd have to think, I've had so many bad injuries.

Might be the time i fell down a flight of cement stairs and tore everything inside both of my legs, and have had permanent nerve damage since, that was over 20 years ago, on the plus side, I don't have to shave my legs, the nerve damage killed the hair follicles.

Could be the time I fell on a glass and it shattered when my knee hit it, knocked off my knee cap, the glass cut through the bursa and stopped right on top of a tendon, I need knee surgery.

Or the time I fell downstairs from the second floor, upside down, airborne, injured my hips, shoulder and landed on my head. They think this may be why I have injury to my lower spine now. Back surgery could help, do nothing, or paralyze me. I'm holding off on that.

Or all of the broken bones, the time I fell down cement steps to the garage and like turbo tore everything inside my right foot, the doctor also told me 'the bad news is you didn't break it. Fortunately no permanent nerve damage.

Plenty more, but luckily nothing really life threatening.

Hope you feel better soon Norman, sucks to be laid up and in pain, right at the beginning of summer too.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  5. Jun 15, 2010 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sorry to hear it, Norman, hope you're up and at 'em soon.

My most painful injury was dislocating my shoulder. It was horrifying, too, to look down at where my shoulder should be and...it's not there. And my arm, it was about 6" lower than where it should have been. I think the shock of the disfigurement made the pain much, much worse.

But the injury that was worst in terms of healing time was plain old plantar fasciitis.

6. Jun 15, 2010 #5

jtbell

Twelve years ago, a pickup truck sideswiped me from behind while I was bicycling. It broke my left collarbone, left ankle, and a bone in my pelvis. I was unconscious for 10-15 minutes, waking up as the EMS people were strapping me onto a stretcher. Thanks to my helmet, there was no significant damage to my head apart from the concussion. I donated the cracked helmet to the local police department to use as an exhibit in their bicycle-safety talks at schools.

For the next couple of months, I basically lived in a reclining chair in the living room. I couldn't sleep in bed because I couldn't get out of bed in the morning without painful complaints from the broken bones. When it was necessary to move, I used a sling on one arm for the collarbone, and crutches to keep weight off the ankle and pelvis.

The bones all eventually knitted together, but the ankle still bothers me sometimes, for example during the trip out West that I recently finished.

7. Jun 15, 2010 #6
    What's with you and stairs?

8. Jun 15, 2010 #7

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I was the passenger on the back seat of my best friends new motorcycle about 30 years ago. A drunk pulled out and we hit the front of the car at a 45 degree angle at roughly 50 mph. I lost my left big toenail.

My friend spent several months in the hospital.

My toenail grew back. Just kind of a little bit different for about 20 years. Now I can't tell my feet apart again.

9. Jun 15, 2010 #8

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So now you have two left or two right feet?

10. Jun 15, 2010 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It happened in the six grade. It was a horrific incident involving a girl named Diane. She broke my heart. :tongue:

11. Jun 15, 2010 #10
    :rofl:

I feel lucky here.
    Broken arm. (played soccer [You should posses talent to do that])
    Broken finger. (in the army, crazy arab hit my hand with stone)

Full recovery!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  12. Jun 15, 2010 #11
    got into a fist fight with my brother once and my hand swole up and got a bit purplish. don't know if it fractured, but it seemed to heal OK. worst ongoing thing is some kind of damage to my right ear. i do believe that driving with a bum ear is one of Dante's levels of hell.

13. Jun 15, 2010 #12
    I had a fractured left clavicle when I was 15. It was a complete fracture.. the part of the clavicle nearest to my neck was completely overlapping the other half, and it healed that way. Now I have a neat little "step" in my bone.

14. Jun 15, 2010 #13
    I played a soccer game once and my friend kicked me instead of the ball. I participated in the match to the very end, despite pain. When I got home, I fell on the bed and couldn't move anymore, it turned out that my leg was broken.

We won that match.

15. Jun 15, 2010 #14

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I had 3 months of excruciating pain in my hip that kept me in bed most of last summer. I still went to work, but had to adjust myself into a position with my leg propped up so I could get through the day. Driving was agony, and as soon as I got home, I had to get into bed and lay flat. I think I must have had a fracture, but my doctor never x-rayed me.

16. Jun 15, 2010 #15
    One time I was playing golf and cut my hand on something sharp sticking out of a golf bag. I think I used a band-aid.

17. Jun 15, 2010 #16

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I took a bad fall while rock-climbing at Seneca Rocks, late 1980s. Injured my pride something awful.

18. Jun 15, 2010 #17
    I have a torn ACL (knee injury) from being hit by a truck while crossing the street. I had surgery but they can not completely fix it of course.

19. Jun 15, 2010 #18
    I got a paper cut :cry:

Other than that my toe nail corner grew into the skin and that continued for more than a year while I continued experimenting with it; I was very obsessed with it. I finally got over with that obsession after having a surgery, the doctor just removed half of my toe.

20. Jun 15, 2010 #19

Evo

Wow, I had no idea that my fellow PFers were so klutzy! :tongue2:

21. Jun 16, 2010 #20

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I got a mild concussion from making an angel food cake 2 years ago.

I am a DIY kinda gal, and instead of splurging on shortcake for our summer dessert, I decided to make angel food cake from a mix. Being that I am barely 5'3", and I get sick and tired of dragging my step stool to the cabinet to reach my mixing bowls, I decided to stand on my toes to reach the heavy glass bowls about 18 inches above my head. There was a glass lid on top of the bowl, which came off the top of the bowls and knocked me on my left temple. My 13 year old watched in horror as a bump on the side of my head grew to the size of a small egg in a matter of seconds.

My napping husband was awakened by screams of my pubescent daughter, and he promptly took me to the emergency room where I began to feel very weird and disconnected. I was given some sort of Oxy-drug (I can't remember which it was of course), and suddenly felt just fine. It did leave a nasty black eye for a couple of weeks.

For several months after that, I began to smell very foul scents-burning rubber, feces, nothing pleasant of course. Shortly afterwards, I would experience horrific headaches lasting a day or longer. Thankfully, I don't have those anymore!

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook