Are You a Hacker? 10 Signs You Might Be

• Thread starter saltydog
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the speaker's expertise and experience in the world of computers and programming. They are knowledgeable about a variety of topics, including assembly language, operating systems, and software development. They have also had some humorous experiences, such as trying to hack into a secure operating system and causing some serious problems in the past. However, they also recognize the importance of practicality and innovation in software development, and have even written programming standards for a new company they worked for.
saltydog
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
1. You know what a hex dump is.

2. You have a bookcase full of software manuals, hardware manuals, operating systems, PC video basics, Troubleshooting PCs, etc.

3. You've tried to break into a secure operating system like VMS.

4. You took an assembly language course and made an A.

5. You read the ACM Journal, the MSJ Journal, well, how about just PC Magazine?.

6. Your friend comes over with pirate software which states the disc drive will be erased if you load it and you tell him, "that's Ok, I can reload everything, let's try it".

7. You have the Windows XP Technical Reference Manual and actually read it.

8. You frequently lock up a sophisticated op. sys like Windows XP by running aberrant software you've written.

9. You've caused at least one serious problem before like messing up a disc drive, burning a circuit board, or destroying an entire database by messin' with the b-trees directly.

10. They no longer want you in software development.

Computer science news on Phys.org
1. I think you are desribing yourself (or not?)

2. This does not make you a |-|@X0Rz it means you know a lot about computers.

lol no it makes you a hacker, because i know how to do most of them, yet i have chosen not to

Hacking... VMS? Windows XP? Meh.

- Warren

saltydog said:
10. They no longer want you in software development.

No no no. It means you are an engineer, and probably suggested, and I quote, "tear down this whole crap you call a program and rewrite it from scratch in fortran 90"

eNathan said:
1. I think you are desribing yourself (or not?)

2. This does not make you a |-|@X0Rz it means you know a lot about computers.

Hello eNathan,

Just ment it as a parody nothing more. I really didn't load that pirate software; really, he wasn't a good enough friend for that. And the last one is also not true: if you're a really good programmer, then won't want to get rid of you even though you make mistakes and I made much more than those above. It's like the butcher story: you're not a good butcher unless you cut yourself every once in a while.

chroot said:
Hacking... VMS? Windows XP? Meh.

- Warren

Hello Warren. At the time, I was the Systems Manager. I didn't have a need to hack into it. I was taking a VMS assembly language course. When you load a program under VMS, your privilege level gets pushed to the stack. That's nice. Because having access to assembly level code you can access the stack. Soooooo... why not just "substitute" a higher privilege level there and thus when you return from the code, VMS will pop that higher level privildege. Hummmmm . . . They weren't born yesterday. It checks.

Oh yea . . . I made an A (I'm a bit head too).

About 10 years ago, my buddy was assembling a PC and he wired the power switch wrong, and every time he flicked the switch all the lights on that circuit went off :)

saltydog said:
Hello eNathan,

Just ment it as a parody nothing more. I really didn't load that pirate software; really, he wasn't a good enough friend for that. And the last one is also not true: if you're a really good programmer, then won't want to get rid of you even though you make mistakes and I made much more than those above. It's like the butcher story: you're not a good butcher unless you cut yourself every once in a while.

Some mistakes people will tolerate. However, if you always write (unintentionally) obfuscated code, or spend a lot of time optimizing the hell out of a function that only runs for two seconds every month anyway, or insist on writing everything in C because computer time is the most valuble thing in the world and we don't dare waste any of it, then there are a lot of people who won't want you in software development. Even if you are a good programmer.

Sadly, an obsession with speed and overly clever trickery can produce produce programmers who make those mistakes all the time.

master_coda said:
Some mistakes people will tolerate. However, if you always write (unintentionally) obfuscated code, or spend a lot of time optimizing the hell out of a function that only runs for two seconds every month anyway, or insist on writing everything in C because computer time is the most valuble thing in the world and we don't dare waste any of it, then there are a lot of people who won't want you in software development. Even if you are a good programmer.

Yes Master_Coda. I think innovation and practicality are important: "We have a problem. How can you resolve it in a reasonable amount of time that meets our software development standards?". But you know, they have to have them first. I mean software standards. Here's another one: I began some time ago working for this "new" software company that didn't have any. Well, to make a long story short, I wrote the programming standards simultaneously with developing the code for the first project I worked on. . . sort of like that Echer picture of the hand drawing the hand . . .

saltydog said:
Yes Master_Coda. I think innovation and practicality are important: "We have a problem. How can you resolve it in a reasonable amount of time that meets our software development standards?". But you know, they have to have them first. I mean software standards. Here's another one: I began some time ago working for this "new" software company that didn't have any. Well, to make a long story short, I wrote the programming standards simultaneously with developing the code for the first project I worked on. . . sort of like that Echer picture of the hand drawing the hand . . .

I'm not sure what that has to do with the comment I made; I just wanted to point out that just being a good programmer isn't enough to make people want to develop software with you. Everyone makes stupid mistakes now and then, but if being a hacker means you make them all the time, then it doesn't really matter how good you are.

Of course, everything in moderation; being a hacker isn't bad, it's just that some people take things too far.

You are a hacker if you can read OCO faster than source code :biggrin:

OCO= object code only.

1. What is a hacker?

A hacker is an individual who uses their technical knowledge and skills to gain unauthorized access to computer systems or networks. They may do this for various purposes, including curiosity, activism, or financial gain.

2. What are some signs that I might be a hacker?

Some signs that you might be a hacker include having a strong interest and aptitude in computer systems and networks, being able to quickly learn and understand new technologies, and possessing a strong attention to detail and problem-solving skills.

3. Is being a hacker illegal?

While hacking itself is not necessarily illegal, unauthorized access to computer systems or networks is a crime. It is important to always use your technical skills and knowledge ethically and within the boundaries of the law.

4. Can anyone become a hacker?

Anyone can learn the technical skills and knowledge required to become a hacker, but it also takes dedication, curiosity, and a strong ethical code. It is important to always use your hacking abilities for good and not for harm.

5. How can I protect myself from hackers?

To protect yourself from hackers, it is important to keep your computer systems and networks secure by using strong and unique passwords, regularly updating your software and systems, and being cautious when clicking on links or downloading files from unknown sources. It is also important to be aware of common hacking techniques and to educate yourself on how to prevent them.

Back