Should we add a thank you reaction option for posts on our website?

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter Ibix
  • Start date
In summary: I remember the discussion - it got into thanks-for-your-thanks-for-your-thanks. I actually like the generic "like" for a general purpose "I am Ibix and I approve this post" sort of thing. And I guess that keeping the reaction categories general means that they have broad applicability - if they are too precise you can rarely use them. But my impression has been that the regulars do appreciate a "thanks, that really helped" message, so a specific reaction accepting such a message (alongside the more general ones) struck me as potentially useful in encouraging behaviours we value. It won't help with the drive-bys, of course, but maybe with posters who engage at least
Ibix
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Occasionally people thank us for our help. A reaction option of "you're welcome", or "no problem", or something of that nature would be nice to have. It might even encourage thanking helpers if there's a specific reaction for acknowledging the thanks? No idea what the icon would be - thumbs up is already taken and googling "you're welcome emoji" mostly turned up "welcome" signs.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would argue a "like" gets the same point across

• Informative
Likes weirdoguy, Ibix, Bystander and 4 others
Greg Bernhardt said:
I would argue a "like" gets the same point across

I'd rather get cheesecake.

Zz.

• Love
Likes Ibix and Bystander

For you, Zapper!

Ibix said:
Occasionally people thank us for our help. A reaction option of "you're welcome", or "no problem", or something of that nature would be nice to have. It might even encourage thanking helpers if there's a specific reaction for acknowledging the thanks? No idea what the icon would be - thumbs up is already taken and googling "you're welcome emoji" mostly turned up "welcome" signs.
I agree w/ you but we had that discussion at length when Greg originally decided to do away with the "thanks" (which I argued for, vehemently but unsuccessfully) and replace it with a more facebook oriented "like".

Likes Ibix
phinds said:
I agree w/ you but we had that discussion at length when Greg originally decided to do away with the "thanks" (which I argued for, vehemently but unsuccessfully) and replace it with a more facebook oriented "like".
I remember the discussion - it got into thanks-for-your-thanks-for-your-thanks.

I actually like the generic "like" for a general purpose "I am Ibix and I approve this post" sort of thing. And I guess that keeping the reaction categories general means that they have broad applicability - if they are too precise you can rarely use them. But my impression has been that the regulars do appreciate a "thanks, that really helped" message, so a specific reaction accepting such a message (alongside the more general ones) struck me as potentially useful in encouraging behaviours we value. It won't help with the drive-bys, of course, but maybe with posters who engage at least a bit?

Likes phinds

1. Should we add a thank you reaction option for posts on our website?

This is a common question that many website owners and developers ask themselves. The answer depends on the purpose and audience of your website. If your website is focused on building a community and fostering positive interactions, then adding a thank you reaction option can be beneficial. It allows users to express gratitude and encourages them to engage with your content.

2. Will a thank you reaction option increase user engagement?

There is no guarantee that adding a thank you reaction option will increase user engagement. However, it has the potential to do so. By giving users the option to express their appreciation for a post, it can create a more positive and interactive environment on your website. This can lead to more comments, likes, and shares on your posts.

3. How can we ensure that the thank you reaction option is used appropriately?

One way to ensure the appropriate use of a thank you reaction option is to have clear guidelines and rules in place. This can include specifying when and how the option should be used, and reminding users to be respectful and considerate in their reactions. Additionally, having a reporting feature for inappropriate reactions can help maintain a positive and respectful community on your website.

4. Are there any potential drawbacks to adding a thank you reaction option?

One potential drawback is that the thank you reaction option may not be used as frequently as other reactions, such as likes or comments. This could make it seem less valuable or meaningful. Additionally, if not monitored properly, it could be misused or abused by users, leading to negative interactions and a decrease in user engagement.

5. How can we track the effectiveness of a thank you reaction option?

There are a few ways to track the effectiveness of a thank you reaction option. One way is to monitor the number of times it is used and compare it to other reactions on your posts. You can also gather feedback from users through surveys or comments to see if they find the option useful. Another way is to track the overall engagement on your website and see if there is an increase after implementing the thank you reaction option.