Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Youtube buffering slowly

1. May 25, 2013 #1

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Is anyone else having a problem specifically with the buffer rate of youtube videos during the past week (particularly at peak hours EST)? Video streaming from various other sites (e.g. yahoo) works just fine and I can browse and download things from websites as fast as I always could but when I try to watch youtube videos, the buffer speed starts to become really random. Certain videos take forever to buffer and keep stopping and loading whereas other videos load just fine. This has only been happening during the past week or so. So yeah, anyone else with the same problem? Is it a youtube server issue? I tried clearing the cache and rebooting like a billion times but it isn't helping (not even temporarily). The problem is occurring with every computer in my house. I tried accessing youtube using various browsers (firefox, chrome etc.) but the problem persists.

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2013 #2

QuantumCurt

Education Advisor

I've actually noticed the same issue. I was trying to watch some longer videos last night, and it was stopping to buffer so often, that I just paused the video and left my computer for like 5 minutes so it could load. I had to do this a couple times. I haven't really noticed any issues with any other sites running slowly. I'm using Firefox.

4. May 26, 2013 #3

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

I hear ya. Like right now youtube is working just fine, because it is 3 AM so the traffic isn't as high as far as the east coast is concerned, but tomorrow afternoon / evening it will most likely be back to its annoying state of buffering over and over for every other video, just like the past few days. It's really pissing me off because literally everything else internet-wise is working just perfectly-it's just youtube that is being a pain.

5. May 26, 2013 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

No idea about exact hours, but I have similar problems. Quite often it sends just a few initial seconds and then hangs up. And it is a relatively new thing, last week or two.

6. May 26, 2013 #5

fluidistic

Gold Member

Strange. I have this problem since months/years. But now that I have upgraded my internet connection (about 10 times faster than before), I notice it more. Sometimes when I want to watch a video in 480p/720p, the video won't load at all, or very slowly. I refresh the page and usually the buffering is incredibly fast. Sometimes refreshing makes no difference. And yeah my connection is just fine, the problem is youtube for sure.

Edit: I tried to browse some videos in France (my mother has an ultra fast internect connection), I also had this problem. Extremely slow to none buffering for HD videos. I don't remember if refreshing was fixing things though.

7. May 26, 2013 #6

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

It seems to be fixed now, as soon as the comedy week thing ended. Weird. I don't know if it is a temporary fix or not.

8. May 26, 2013 #7
    it's the distributive nature of youtube's storage and queuing system. if you know how to block IPs on your firewall, rejecting packets from certain ones may speed up the streaming process but i haven't tested this so i don't know how well it actually works. though people have reported improved playback speeds. you can google which ranges to block and try it yourself

9. May 26, 2013 #8

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

I tried doing that already actually, it didn't help unfortunately. And now the problem is back :[

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook