Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

YOUTUBE tags not working.

1. Sep 24, 2014 #1

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The old YOUTUBE tag is not working anymore. Is it possible to automatically convert all YOUTUBE tags to to MEDIA tags, so the embedded videos in old posts still work?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2014 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

As far as I am aware Greg is still not finished with these things. Some of the tags have to be modified, my understanding is that Greg's plan is to modify whole database in one sweep once he is ready.

4. Sep 24, 2014 #3

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ok, thanks.

I was also wondering how the software knows which of the now several possible video-sites to use, given that the MEDIA tag only contains the video ID. Is it the length of the ID?

5. Sep 24, 2014 #4
    Actually I'm pretty sure that if you just put the youtube link in the post the system will recognize it and process it. Tag should not be needed any longer.

Yup, the system automatically converts it into a media tag for you. Just pas the URL in the editor.

fyi, in the next few days I'll be converting all the old tags

6. Sep 24, 2014 #5

jtbell

When you use the "Media" button in the editor, the dialog asks you to enter the URL, not just the video ID. The software apparently then recognizes the site from the URL, and picks out the video ID accordingly. If you quote Greg's post, you'll see that the opening tag for the video says "MEDIA=youtube".

7. Sep 24, 2014 #6

Borek

Pasting just links:

8. Sep 24, 2014 #7

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That is obvious. I was wondering about manually typing editing the tags. But I got it now. The opening MEDIA-tag has a parameter.

9. Sep 24, 2014 #8
    btw, I really messed up the old youtube bbcode conversion. It will take me a couple days to fix now. Please remain patient.

10. Sep 24, 2014 #9

Borek

Oops, you did :)

11. Sep 25, 2014 #10
    Well this was a lesson for me. I spent 5 hours on this. I can only fix about half of the youtube links.

12. Sep 25, 2014 #11

DataGG

Gold Member

Fix the half about cats please.

13. Sep 25, 2014 #12

Evo

Can I help? Or is this beyond help? (save the kittehs)

14. Sep 25, 2014 #13
    Thanks, but there are thousands to fix. I have to do it by use of regular expressions and that is tricky in this instance.

15. Sep 25, 2014 #14
    fyi, the auto embed will work with videos from: dailymotion, facebook, liveleak, metacafe, vimeo, youtube

16. Sep 25, 2014 #15

Evo

You poor thing.

17. Sep 25, 2014 #16

Borek

My guess is he made himself poor with some hasty SQL command ;)

Or am I wrong, Greg?

18. Sep 25, 2014 #17
    You are very correct and my first regular expression attempt messed things up further. I'm really surprised I haven't nuked PF yet in 13 years lol. Just kidding guys, I have everything under perfect control :D

edit: actually I think I have had to restore from a backup, but it was a long time ago

19. Sep 25, 2014 #18
    My latest test was very successful. I think can salvage and convert 80% now. The links with the "feature" querystring are tripping me up

20. Sep 25, 2014 #19
    You need a couple of interns to do the remaining 20% by hand. :D

There's probably a regex that will do it but I probably couldn't figure out. My kung-fu is no good!

21. Sep 25, 2014 #20
    Say... what are you up to this weekend... :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook