1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Yr 11 Question

1. May 10, 2005 #1
    I dunno whether I got this right, but something seems strange about my answers. Teacher didnt help much :(

A satellite of mass 2.40 x 10^2 kg moving in free space at a velocity of 6.00 x 10^3 ms^-1 is struck by an unknown object that causes it to be deflected onto a new path at right angles to its original direction of motion in 0.500s

Find the impule that acted upon the satellite if it continued to move at 6.00 x 10^3 ms^-1 after deflection

any help would be much appreciated :)

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2005 #2
    Choosing the x-direction opposite to the original movement of the spaceship, and the y-direction perpendicular, along the x-direction the object decelerates from v_0 to rest, and along the y-direction it accelerates from rest to the final speed. Then you can apply the pythagorean theorem for the magnitude of the net impulse and arctan for the angle.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?